The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for cambridge, durham...

Hello.
Right now I'm doing AS, however my teachers are saying I'm going to get top grades. Because I'm revising a lot and on mocks we have I'm usually getting As.
However my bigger problem are my GCSE. They are terrible also I took year off just to retake them because they were even worst before.
Maths- A*
English Language- A
English Literature- A
Core science- A
Additional Science- A
Geography- A
Polish- A
RE- C
Business Studies- D
Media- F
Pe Btec- PASS
Media (I think it was media Creative writing media something like that), I did it at college after year 11 - Distinction
ECDL- Merit

Now, my and my teachers prediction for AS results:
Biology- A
Psychology- A
Geography- A
English combined- A

Yes, I do realize that most of unis would but me as disadvantage because of my GCSE's. I wish to do Law at Cambridge (I know this is impossible with my grades), Durham, Exeter, Southampton, UCL. Are my chances of getting into any of this unis are that low as I think. Also I'm repeat myself, Cambridge is my stupid dream. It's just because I was lazy I did't revise for my GCSES's and I had to retake them. Also In my situation should I carry fourth a level.
Should I apply to lower unis?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Reply 2
Depends on how oversubscribed the course you wanna do is.
Reply 3
Original post by seansuls
Depends on how oversubscribed the course you wanna do is.

law
Original post by anee1234
Hello.
Right now I'm doing AS, however my teachers are saying I'm going to get top grades. Because I'm revising a lot and on mocks we have I'm usually getting As.
However my bigger problem are my GCSE. They are terrible also I took year off just to retake them because they were even worst before.
Maths- A*
English Language- A
English Literature- A
Core science- A
Additional Science- A
Geography- A
Polish- A
RE- C
Business Studies- D
Media- F
Pe Btec- PASS
Media (I think it was media Creative writing media something like that), I did it at college after year 11 - Distinction
ECDL- Merit

Biology- A
Psychology- A
Geography- A
English combined- A

Yes, I do realize that most of unis would but me as disadvantage because of my GCSE's. I wish to do Law at Cambridge (I know this is impossible with my grades), Durham, Exeter, Southampton, UCL. Are my chances of getting into any of this unis are that low as I think. Also I'm repeat myself, Cambridge is my stupid dream. It's just because I was lazy I did't revise for my GCSES's and I had to retake them. Also In my situation should I carry fourth a level. Would doing 4 alevels put me in better position?

There is no certain say to be honest.
I am an IB student and I know nothing about A levels, GCSE and how they work but I would recommend you going through Cambrigde's website (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law) and determine whether you have the grades. :smile:
Original post by anee1234
Hello.
Maths- A*
English Language- A
English Literature- A
Core science- A
Additional Science- A
Geography- A
Polish- A
RE- C
Business Studies- D
Media- F
Pe Btec- PASS
ECDL- Merit

Biology- A
Psychology- A
Geography- A
English combined- A

Yes, I do realize that most of unis would but me as disadvantage because of my GCSE's. I wish to do Law at Cambridge (I know this is impossible with my grades), Durham, Exeter, Southampton, UCL. Are my chances of getting into any of this unis are that low as I think. Also I'm repeat myself, Cambridge is my stupid dream. It's just because I was lazy I did't revise for my GCSES's and I had to retake them. Also In my situation should I carry fourth a level. Would doing 4 alevels put me in better position?

Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that your GCSE grades would be that disadvantageous to you. While it's true that most people who go to cambridge and top universities have very good GCSE grades, A-levels matter much more and so does your personal statement.

Your predicted grades are very good. What did you get at AS? Also, how's your personal statement getting along?
Reply 7
Because you are applying for Durham too, to put you in the best place for when you apply, start preparing for the LNAT, even if it is a year early.

Quick Reply

Latest