Worried I won't get offers

Hi,

I have applied for geography BA at..

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

I am worried that I have aimed too high as my predicted grades are A*AA which is good but some of the schools I have applied to are very competitive, if anyone can give me advice that would be great!

(btw I have not submitted my application fully its still at my sixth form so I have a bit of time to change it )

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

I am worried that I have aimed too high as my predicted grades are A*AA which is good but some of the schools I have applied to are very competitive, if anyone can give me advice that would be great!

(btw I have not submitted my application fully its still at my sixth form so I have a bit of time to change it )

You are correct in saying that "some of the schools I have applied to are very competitive", but not all are. It seems a reasonable set of five to me, for someone with A*AA predicted.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You are correct in saying that "some of the schools I have applied to are very competitive", but not all are. It seems a reasonable set of five to me, for someone with A*AA predicted.

Hii! Yeah I spoke to my careers adviser and changed Edinburgh to York just in case!
Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

Hi @Loliara,

It's great to hear that you are thinking of applying to the University of Exeter! Please feel free to get in touch with any questions you may have!

It sounds like you have a strong set of universities you are considering applying to. I would say that if you meet the entry requirements and have a strong personal statement, you have as good a chance as anyone at getting an offer! When applying, I did have a 'back-up' university - one with slightly lower entry requirements just in case! However, this was completely down to personal preference - it is really important to stick with what you are comfortable with!

Best of luck with your application!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Currently at Exeter studying BA geography!
Honestly I think with those predicted grades, you've got a good chance at getting offers to those unis. I was predicted AAA and Exeter offered me AAA, but I actually ended up getting in with slightly lower grades.
As long as you've got a decent personal statement, I don't see any reason why these unis wouldn't consider you :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by Loliara
Hii! Yeah I spoke to my careers adviser and changed Edinburgh to York just in case!

That’s barely any difference, lmao. What kind of career adviser is that? Surely you should add a non Russel group university if you’re worried?!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

most schools are really good at giving places to anyone with grades above a c, even if you have to do a foundation year, which i doubt youll have to do. if your not sure, you can always go to open days, and ask at the lectures there
Reply 7
Original post by Bo77 Tman
That’s barely any difference, lmao. What kind of career adviser is that? Surely you should add a non Russel group university if you’re worried?!

I mean its not much of a difference but York's entry req for Geography is AAB and I do an EPQ and York takes that into consideration so my offer would be around ABB, whereas Edinburgh ranges from AAA-A*AA so it is a pretty big difference in the required grades.
Reply 8
Original post by louiseee157
Currently at Exeter studying BA geography!
Honestly I think with those predicted grades, you've got a good chance at getting offers to those unis. I was predicted AAA and Exeter offered me AAA, but I actually ended up getting in with slightly lower grades.
As long as you've got a decent personal statement, I don't see any reason why these unis wouldn't consider you :smile:)

Thank you so much, that's definitely reassuring as Exeter is one of my top choices!
Reply 9
Original post by Loliara
I mean its not much of a difference but York's entry req for Geography is AAB and I do an EPQ and York takes that into consideration so my offer would be around ABB, whereas Edinburgh ranges from AAA-A*AA so it is a pretty big difference in the required grades.

Oh fair enough, I wasn’t sure for the geography department specifically, does Edinburgh not take into account an EPQ? I would assume most universities do for geography no?
Reply 10
Oh fair enough, I wasn’t sure for the geography department specifically, does Edinburgh not take into account an EPQ? I would assume most universities do for geography no?

Unfortunately it does not take the EPQ into consideration at all in the offer making process, the only unis on my list that do are York and Southhampton
Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

I've also applied for Geography with the same predicted grades as you at Durham and Exeter (for study abroad) and still haven't heard. Also waiting on Bristol but am on hold from them at the minute. Have got offers from Swansea and Nottingham which is good! Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by freya_hanmer
I've also applied for Geography with the same predicted grades as you at Durham and Exeter (for study abroad) and still haven't heard. Also waiting on Bristol but am on hold from them at the minute. Have got offers from Swansea and Nottingham which is good! Good luck with your application :smile:

Good luck with yours I received an offer from York a few days ago!
Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

Exeter and southhampton are not competitive so youll most likely get offers there. Durham and edinburugh are much more compeititve so best of luck with those, durham has been known to reject oxford offer holders somehow. KCL is middle of the road but with those grades i imagine it will be likely.
Reply 14

Edinburgh a lot more competitive than York though, with a much higher number of international applicants - I think that's a good move. Plus you'll hear back from York way earlier - Edinburgh typically leave a lot of replies until mid April +
Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

not the same course but i have offers to four competitive russell group unis with AAAA predicteds, so you’re definitely fine. the only reason you wouldn’t be is if their entry requirements are higher than your predicteds, or if your personal statement is lacking
Reply 16
Original post by username6661155
Exeter and southhampton are not competitive so youll most likely get offers there. Durham and edinburugh are much more compeititve so best of luck with those, durham has been known to reject oxford offer holders somehow. KCL is middle of the road but with those grades i imagine it will be likely.

It's not surprising to me that Durham sometimes rejects Oxford holders. Oxford don't have quite as high A Level entry requirements on average as Cambridge. For some courses, Oxford's A Level requirements will be identical to Durham's. The fact that Durham has fewer places than Oxford in total means it's likely that some Oxford acceptances for some subjects will have been rejected by Durham (n.b. This doesn't mean Oxford students are necessarily dumber than Cambridge students on average - Oxford just prefer a holistic approach of more taking in to account GCSE results too. Although Cambridge definitely has a reputation of being slightly more all work and no play than Oxford). Durham can sometimes be more competitive than Oxford to get in to because both places have a beauty to them but not everyone with high marks wants to live/study in Oxford or Cambridge or have that workload on them. At Durham you can live in a castle opposite a cathedral so it's 'not bad'.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Picnicl
It's not unsurprising to me that Durham sometimes rejects Oxford holders. Oxford don't have quite as high A Level entry requirements on average as Cambridge. For some courses, Oxford's A Level requirements will be identical to Durham's. The fact that Durham has fewer places than Oxford means it's likely that some Oxford acceptances will have been rejected by Durham (n.b. This doesn't mean Oxford students are necessarily dumber than Cambridge students on average - Oxford just prefer a holistic approach of more taking in to account GCSE results too. Although Cambridge definitely has a reputation of being slightly more all work and no play than Oxford). Durham can just be more competitive than Oxford to get in to because both places have a beauty to them but not everyone with high marks wants to live/study in Oxford or Cambridge or have that workload on them. At Durham you can live in a castle opposite a cathedral so it's 'not bad'.

Yeah this is definitely true, the reason I applied to Durham over Cambridge or Oxford for geo this may sound silly but the deadline was far too early for oxbridge and I wasn't 100% certain if my PS was ready and whether I was happy with my choices and also I preferred Durham's location and the city area.
Reply 18
Oh yeah also a little update for this thread... I ended up applying to Kings, Durham, Edinburgh, York and Exeter for geography BA. So far I have offers from Kings, York and Exeter and am waiting on Durham and Edinburgh! So I did end up receiving offers and seems like I was worried for nothing.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Loliara
Hi,

Durham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Southhampton
Kings

If it makes you feel any better, my predicted was BBB and i got an offer from Exeter so if i can get that, you can get plenty others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending