The Student Room Group

Rejected by UCL, KCL, LSE (Law) and feel like an imposter

To shorten things, Yes, I got 25/42 in the LNAT so it makes sense. However, how is it that I got into Oxbridge for law? I got into Durham too. I currently don't feel worthy of my offers and I feel like a sham. An imposter.
People say it's the interview, but my interview went horribly and I know this for a fact. With every single question they shot at me, I had no answers, or else I ran out of answers fairly quickly.
Also Durham doesn't interview and I got an offer there too. LSE said my PS wasn't good enough. KCL and UCL rejected me based on my LNAT. Which makes absolute sense. However, I just don't understand how and why I got 2 offers. I feel like it should be none? My application obviously wasn't very good 😭 Sorry, this was kind of a rant, but I'm genuinely confused and I genuinely feel like the biggest imposter in the whole world.
Don't get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY grateful and overjoyed with my offers. I'm also quite dejected with my rejections. I just feel weird I guess? Like things aren't adding up in my head LOL

Scroll to see replies

wdym oxbridge? which one?
Reply 2
Original post by ismaelishere
wdym oxbridge? which one?
Cambridge :smile: but I didn't want to specify
u see the cambridge guys were so smart bc they r from cambridge and all that they were able to see ur hidden special ability to one day be the best lawyer in the world.
or since the courses r different they may have seen ur more compatible with cambridge rhan the others
Reply 5
Original post by ismaelishere
u see the cambridge guys were so smart bc they r from cambridge and all that they were able to see ur hidden special ability to one day be the best lawyer in the world.
😹 thank you for making me laugh, I needed that
Basically London universities are massively oversubscribed especially for something as competitive for Law and have massive amounts of overseas students so there are very few vacancies for UK applicants and therefore require higher marks for the LNAT. This is why we are constantly advising against putting all London universities down.

As an example 60

Basically London universities are massively oversubscribed. This is due to a massive amount of overseas students wanting to study in London rather than provincial cities.

To give an example 60% of all students in LSE are from either China or India so very few places left for the others. Their intake is only 1700 in total.

It is fairly similar with UCL where over 50% of the students are from overseas.

This is why we regularly advise on here not to put more than 2 London universities and not to apply to all risky universities. Luckily you have 2 very good offers. Others who ignore this advice end up with no offers.

You have probably been rejected for your LNAT result. Perhaps Cambridge and Durham dont treat it as everything in the way the London universities do. You need to look on it that you have 2 brilliant choices rather than none as many end up.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Basically London universities are massively oversubscribed especially for something as competitive for Law and have massive amounts of overseas students so there are very few vacancies for UK applicants and therefore require higher marks for the LNAT. This is why we are constantly advising against putting all London universities down.
As an example 60
Basically London universities are massively oversubscribed. This is due to a massive amount of overseas students wanting to study in London rather than provincial cities.
To give an example 60% of all students in LSE are from either China or India so very few places left for the others. Their intake is only 1700 in total.
It is fairly similar with UCL where over 50% of the students are from overseas.
This is why we regularly advise on here not to put more than 2 London universities and not to apply to all risky universities. Luckily you have 2 very good offers. Others who ignore this advice end up with no offers.
You have probably been rejected for your LNAT result. Perhaps Cambridge and Durham dont treat it as everything in the way the London universities do. You need to look on it that you have 2 brilliant choices rather than none as many end up.
I absolutely am so thankful for my offers. I know that I probably should've applied to some safeties but I have alternatives so I decided to take a leap of faith.
Ah yes London unis are very oversubscribed with applications, however, what I don't understand is that Cambridge and Durham are most likely also quite oversubscribed? While they may not look upon the LNAT as much, this still doesn't make me "better" than other applicants. Either way! I've come to accept the outcome and I'm just going to try my hardest to achieve the offers. Thanks for you comprehensive response 😺
LSE tends to have more applicants per place than Oxbridge for law, and unlike Oxbridge they only have your PS to go off - no interviews. LNAT may be a bigger factor for the others for the same reason.
Oxbridge being able to interview applicants rigorously gives them a much better idea of how well people will thrive (or not) in the supervision/tutorial teaching format at each uni - and if they've given you and offer its because they think you will do well in that environment :smile:
So be happy with your offers, and crack on with revision to make sure you meet the requirements after your exams in summer!
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
LSE tends to have more applicants per place than Oxbridge for law, and unlike Oxbridge they only have your PS to go off - no interviews. LNAT may be a bigger factor for the others for the same reason.
Oxbridge being able to interview applicants rigorously gives them a much better idea of how well people will thrive (or not) in the supervision/tutorial teaching format at each uni - and if they've given you and offer its because they think you will do well in that environment :smile:
So be happy with your offers, and crack on with revision to make sure you meet the requirements after your exams in summer!
That does make sense, however, I just keep thinking that it should be harder to get an offer from Oxbridge than it would be from a London uni, but I guess a lot of different variables come into play as well.

🫡 also, will do! Thank you.
It is down largely to overseas numbers. Cambridge and Durham have just over 20% overseas students as against over 50% in LSE and UCL. Part of the issue is that overseas students look at being in London as more important than say Durham which they havent heard of. There is a huge demand in overseas students being in London and the universities accepting more overseas students gives them more funding.
If you look at overseas students they tend to just follow rankings and use QS and THE. Unlike the UK tables these tend to back London universities as they favour big city universities. Places like Kings and Queen Mary are far higher ranked in the international rankings than the UK tables whilst smaller provincial city universities like Durham, St Andrews and Exeter do better in Uk tables.
Reply 12
Original post by swanseajack1
It is down largely to overseas numbers. Cambridge and Durham have just over 20% overseas students as against over 50% in LSE and UCL. Part of the issue is that overseas students look at being in London as more important than say Durham which they havent heard of. There is a huge demand in overseas students being in London and the universities accepting more overseas students gives them more funding.
Ooh I see I see. Wow only 20% for Cambridge as well? I expected it to be much higher 😮
That's true, I guess Durham isn't that well known compared to London LOL and job opportunities are better in London. Ooh funding as well❤️*🩹. That does make a lot of sense thank you!
Original post by CQL
To shorten things, Yes, I got 25/42 in the LNAT so it makes sense. However, how is it that I got into Oxbridge for law? I got into Durham too. I currently don't feel worthy of my offers and I feel like a sham. An imposter.
People say it's the interview, but my interview went horribly and I know this for a fact. With every single question they shot at me, I had no answers, or else I ran out of answers fairly quickly.
Also Durham doesn't interview and I got an offer there too. LSE said my PS wasn't good enough. KCL and UCL rejected me based on my LNAT. Which makes absolute sense. However, I just don't understand how and why I got 2 offers. I feel like it should be none? My application obviously wasn't very good 😭 Sorry, this was kind of a rant, but I'm genuinely confused and I genuinely feel like the biggest imposter in the whole world.
Don't get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY grateful and overjoyed with my offers. I'm also quite dejected with my rejections. I just feel weird I guess? Like things aren't adding up in my head LOL

Well done, thats so incredible! What grades did you get at GCSE?!!!
Reply 14
Original post by evelinner
Well done, thats so incredible! What grades did you get at GCSE?!!!
Hi! Thank you.

Before I tell you, please keep in mind that I'm not from England and I did my GCSE equivalent during the last year of COVID. Therefore these grades are basically my summer grades. The gcse equivalent would be: 9999999998
In reality I probably wouldn't have done so well!
Reply 15
Congrats for getting 2 offers.
May I know your subject combination and super curricular ?
There’s a quote someone told me when I was myself having imposter syndrome over my acceptance, and I will l share it here as despite it being very direct, I think you might find it helpful :smile:
“No offence, but i think the people who picked you know how to do their job better than you do!”
Reply 17
Original post by jobb11
Congrats for getting 2 offers.
May I know your subject combination and super curricular ?
Thanks 😊

Ah so I'm not from Britain so I do 9 subjects.

As for my super curriculars, I just merely read books and expanded on how they enlightened me, and how they made me even more enthusiastic to study law at uni.
I did do some informal work experience with a solicitor also. I didn't do anything too fancy :smile: hope that helps!
Reply 18
Original post by JustBenjamin
There’s a quote someone told me when I was myself having imposter syndrome over my acceptance, and I will l share it here as despite it being very direct, I think you might find it helpful :smile:
“No offence, but i think the people who picked you know how to do their job better than you do!”
I love that. I've heard it before too!

Thank you so much for sharing, I'm feeling a bit better now. I think this imposter syndrome will never go away, but that doesn't mean I can't take advantage of this opportunity and do my best 😊

Regarding the quote... Idk why but I always keep thinking the opposite haha... that the people who rejected me also know how to do their jobs.

However, I'm trying to be less pessimistic so I'll look at it from the bright side! Thanks so much 🙏
Original post by CQL
I love that. I've heard it before too!
Thank you so much for sharing, I'm feeling a bit better now. I think this imposter syndrome will never go away, but that doesn't mean I can't take advantage of this opportunity and do my best 😊
Regarding the quote... Idk why but I always keep thinking the opposite haha... that the people who rejected me also know how to do their jobs.
However, I'm trying to be less pessimistic so I'll look at it from the bright side! Thanks so much 🙏

u never know but maybe they rejected u cus they knew u were getting into cambridge anyway. ur too good not to. so they might as well reject u to keep their acceptance statistics more impressively low. either way u made it into cambridge, and u dont get in through a fluke. u r way more likely to be over qualified yet still not get in to cambridge, than the other way around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending