The Student Room Group

Reply 1
Economics is better and you don't need to have done it at GCSE to do it at a level. Most schools don't even teach it at GCSE level.
I'd pick economics. At my sixth form it is very popular and there are two classes that have over 20 students in it whereas there is only one A level business class which has 16 students. At the start of sixth form, I was doing business but then later switched to economics because it seemed more interesting and links in well with geography. It is very interesting! When I was doing business it was very boring, it was just stuff on decision making, management etc so it could be considered a deep subject whereas economics is much more broad. However, I've heard business gets more interesting at A2.
Reply 3
I did business for GCSE. For A-levels I took up Economics and dropped the business. Economics is quite a highly recognised degree (which also pays well). If you do maths and economics together and get into a good university for an Economics degree, then you are certain to have a pretty successful career.
Good Luck
AK
Reply 4
Economics is better than Business Studies.
Btw I recommend you to do Accounting as well if you are considering to do it in future.
It's NOT LIKE ECONOMICS
You will be able to do Accounting from scratch in Uni of course, but you will have to do some foundation stuff and trust me it gonna be hard since you gotta learn from scratch, Some find Accounting difficult but Econ easier and vice-versa
Econ is a bit like Business but not that much neither

PS: I do Economics, Accounting & Maths at A level
So I know what I'm saying :smile:
Reply 5
Hey. I've chosen maths chemistry and economics for a level. I've never done economics before but it sounds very interesting. However I'm a bit worried about not liking it and then not being able to drop at the end of year 12 as my school only allows 3. Any advice? What is the economics course like and is it easier than the other subjects you are doing? Is it different and more intersting than other subjects? What do you find the most easiest and hardest?What is the essay writing like, is it hard? Also, im just curious did you do business for gcse? I know there's a lot of questions. I'm just really confused and stuck atm. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Sk2001
Hey. I've chosen maths chemistry and economics for a level. I've never done economics before but it sounds very interesting. However I'm a bit worried about not liking it and then not being able to drop at the end of year 12 as my school only allows 3. Any advice? What is the economics course like and is it easier than the other subjects you are doing? Is it different and more intersting than other subjects? What do you find the most easiest and hardest?What is the essay writing like, is it hard? Also, im just curious did you do business for gcse? I know there's a lot of questions. I'm just really confused and stuck atm. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks

Wow, your doing exactly the same as me. I am in my final year, and am thoroughly enjoying Economics. It is much more interesting as you are linking to real life examples. The essays are not hard, however they take practice. Once you have worked through a handful of practice essays you will be guaranteed a good grade. Microeconomics and the diagrams in this side of the course are pretty complex, and you dont want to fall behind on these- so its best to understand them thoroughly before it is too late. Yup i did business, and decided to change it up to economics at A level.
Reply 7
Original post by AirKraft
Wow, your doing exactly the same as me. I am in my final year, and am thoroughly enjoying Economics. It is much more interesting as you are linking to real life examples. The essays are not hard, however they take practice. Once you have worked through a handful of practice essays you will be guaranteed a good grade. Microeconomics and the diagrams in this side of the course are pretty complex, and you dont want to fall behind on these- so its best to understand them thoroughly before it is too late. Yup i did business, and decided to change it up to economics at A level.

Thanks for answering my questions. I've been reading a lot of people's opinions on A Level business vs A Level Economics and I've found that although business may be easier (even my own cousin didn't do business for GCSE and got a B in AS with barely any revision) people tend to enjoy economics more and for that reason I'm just gonna go ahead and do it too.
Btw just curious what other A Levels are you doing?
Reply 8
Original post by Sk2001
Thanks for answering my questions. I've been reading a lot of people's opinions on A Level business vs A Level Economics and I've found that although business may be easier (even my own cousin didn't do business for GCSE and got a B in AS with barely any revision) people tend to enjoy economics more and for that reason I'm just gonna go ahead and do it too.
Btw just curious what other A Levels are you doing?

Currently doing maths and chemistry as well as economics
Reply 9
If you want to go into accounting I'd go with:

Maths
Economics

and either:

A natural science
Further Maths
English
History/Geography

Quick Reply

Latest