The Student Room Group

I got A*AA for my A-Levels - ask me anything.

I got A* for Sociology AQA and As for History AQA and Economics Edexcel A. Happy to help wherever I can.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How did you study for sociology? Was it hard?
Reply 2
Original post by Nice_100
I got A* for Sociology AQA and As for History AQA and Economics Edexcel A. Happy to help wherever I can.

How would you recommend studying/prioritising in year 13 for History and Economics, as I am going into Year 13 in September.
Reply 3
Original post by Nabiaa
How did you study for sociology? Was it hard?

Quizlet was literally a life-saver, not only are there already pre-made free flashcards of sociologists, research methods etc, but you can also make your own to fit your way of revising. My revision included writing essays marked by my teacher and then putting them in a shortened and quick version on flashcards. Use active recall - repeat practising around sociologists, themes and facts week after week and the things will be stuck in your brain. Writing essays on the other hand is another thing. I watched model answers from theTEACHERSOCIOLOGY and just memorised the way they wrote. I also found model answers from the Student Room and Studoc but after this practice write your own model essay and send it to your teachers to mark. I also used Studysmarter for their Sociology flashcards - this website was the one that truly saved me a lot of time - their flashcards are really good.

BTW if you really want to see my Socio flashcards my profile is Nicky_EDC

And YES. Sociology was really difficult. I actually got Cs and Bs a lot in my first year but in the second year, I started to finally understand the subject. You just need consistency for active recall around flashcards.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by temzzzzz
How would you recommend studying/prioritising in year 13 for History and Economics, as I am going into Year 13 in September.

When I got into Y13 reality hit me and I was also pushed to prioritise Economics. Idk how you got urself into that situation but if you are doing well on your third or fourth subject then maybe reduce your revision time on that but not by too much and shift it to History and Econ. Overall, I need more info on how you're coping to give u a detailed answer but if History and Econ are really difficult right now, I'd say go for it and prioritise em but only if you are achieving As on your third or fourth and are super confident about them. I'd say you need a timetable if you are also bad at organising time.
Reply 5
Quizlet was literally a life-saver, not only are there already pre-made free flashcards of sociologists, research methods etc, but you can also make your own to fit your way of revising. My revision included writing essays marked by my teacher and then putting them in a shortened and quick version on flashcards. Use active recall - repeat practising around sociologists, themes and facts week after week and the things will be stuck in your brain. Writing essays on the other hand is another thing. I watched model answers from theTEACHERSOCIOLOGY and just memorised the way they wrote. I also found model answers from the Student Room and Studoc but after this practice write your own model essay and send it to your teachers to mark. I also used Studysmarter for their Sociology flashcards - this website was the one that truly saved me a lot of time - their flashcards are really good.

BTW if you really want to see my Socio flashcards my profile is Nicky_EDC

And YES. Sociology was really difficult. I actually got Cs and Bs a lot in my first year but in the second year, I started to finally understand the subject. You just need consistency for active recall around flashcards.

Thank you so much :smile:

What are you hoping to do now you have finished your A-levels?
Reply 7
Off to Uni in Sept/Oct! Most likely SOAS to study Politics and Economics.

Original post by flowersinmyhair
What are you hoping to do now you have finished your A-levels?
Off to Uni in Sept/Oct! Most likely SOAS to study Politics and Economics.

How many marks were you off the A* in econ?
Reply 9
Original post by toxicgamage56
How many marks were you off the A* in econ?

Quite far off actually. In fact, I made it just into an A. Grade boundaries for Econ this year were the same as every year with 245/335 being an A and I got 247 marks. I was very lucky. Meanwhile, an A* was 273/335.
What is your 4th least favourite scooby-doo monster? Explain in detail. You will be marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar [9 marks].
Quite far off actually. In fact, I made it just into an A. Grade boundaries for Econ this year were the same as every year with 245/335 being an A and I got 247 marks. I was very lucky. Meanwhile, an A* was 273/335.

Yeah, I did Econ this year too. I got 266, quite close to an A* but not really close enough to warrant the remark imo. The papers were nice, I heard so many good points that I wished I was able to incorporate into my 25 markers after doing them... (esp peeved about the negative wealth effect point I missed in the very last 25 marker)

Hi,
Firstly congratulations on your A level results im so happy for you. I will be going into my final year of sixth form this September and i am studying Business,Economics and also Psychology. I dont have much of a problem with Business but my main concerns are for Economics and Psychology because i feel as though the content is very heavy and i have trouble remembering everything. All i would ask you is if you have any tips on how you managed with Economics also how you revised. Thanks so much and i wish you all the best!
Reply 13
Original post by WORKHELP465
Hi,
Firstly congratulations on your A level results im so happy for you. I will be going into my final year of sixth form this September and i am studying Business,Economics and also Psychology. I dont have much of a problem with Business but my main concerns are for Economics and Psychology because i feel as though the content is very heavy and i have trouble remembering everything. All i would ask you is if you have any tips on how you managed with Economics also how you revised. Thanks so much and i wish you all the best!

I totally feel you. Finding a revision plan for Economics that suited the way I memorised things was really difficult. I can't even say I 100% memorised all of the material in the textbooks but I think learning by the textbook or other forms of formal learning did not help that much but I would say still learn your key terms and paste them EVERYWHERE on your exam answers. I split my Econ revision with around 60% watching Economics-related videos from Economics Explained and ColdFusion and reading articles from the FT, BBC and the Guardian and the other 40% doing all of the past papers that have existed. I drew all of the diagrams on post-it-notes and stuck em on my wall.

Economics is a really difficult subject to revise but if you want to truly understand it, you need to enjoy it so I watched a lot of interesting videos. It may not sound like the basic standard revision but it worked for me. Ofc you should already know Physicsmathsandmathstutor for the past papers but also check out expert tuition because they have sectioned out all of the past paper questions via topics.

And ofc you ain't a true Econ student if you haven't watched Econdalplus but I would also recommend watching Tutor2u and their streams.

Days b4 the actual tests I watched the online streams from the expert tuition YT which should still be up. They go through past paper questions and actually answer them really well and I found them very useful and regretted not seeing them much sooner. Hope this helps, good luck!
(edited 8 months ago)
How did you revise for History?
Reply 15
Original post by NeedHelp109
How did you revise for History?

I did the Stuarts and the Cold War. Like sociology, my main revision around history was flashcards. I would have flashcards on all of the chapters of the textbook and also write some practice essays that got marked then when they were up to standard, I shortened and pasted them to flashcards. It's always active recall. Focus on flashcards about 1 chapter for a week and come back to it after a few weeks and repeat. As weeks go by, you should memorise all of the facts that you can do a couple of chapters per week. Also, listen to your teacher when it comes to essay writing.

I actually started doing this a bit late into Y13 so do it early if your still in Y12 and if you're running out of time there are already pre-made flashcards of chapters on Quizlet. If you do the cold war and starts then my profile is Nicky_EDC on Quizlet where my pre-made flashcards are all there.

These vids and websites helped me with essay structure:
https://youtu.be/gey6ZOci6B0
https://owltutors.co.uk/get-full-marks-source-questions-history-level-4-using-provenance-source-assess-reliability/

Also find model essay answers wherever you can on the internet. I mostly found great ones on Studoc and markedbyteachers. These reduced the time of actually writing my own essays so I just used these pre-made ones to makes them into flashcards.

As for coursework - this is the only place where I would not recommend my experience because I only got 21/40. Yh I flopped it but did really well with the other two papers.
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi congrats on your grades they are amazing! How did you revise for sociology and history. I do the same exam board for sociology but not history and was wondering if you would be open to sharing with me any flashcards or notes you had. I’m really struggling with making them for all subjects and the lessons done aren’t enough for me to use my folder to revise from. I would be really thankful if you can share anything at all
Reply 17
Hellooo! If you scroll up you can read what I did for Scoio and History. My Quizlet acc is called Nicky_EDC and if you scroll down you will see all of the Socio and History flashcards and they are for free. To simplify what I did I just wrote planned essays for almost every possible Q that could come up and simplified it to short bullet-point notes into flashcards and tested myself until I got everything in my head. Repeat this for weeks and months. But luckily for you, I've already got flashcards for Socio Questions and other Socio flashcards on my Quizlet acc. Make sure to also practice essay writing by following and watching videos from theTeacherSociology and presenting them to your teachers to mark. To make your life much more easier, just search up model essay answers on studoc or markedbyteachers, they are websites full of free A-A* essays and you youself can make them into your own flashcards if you want. Good luck!

Original post by Hailey629
Hi congrats on your grades they are amazing! How did you revise for sociology and history. I do the same exam board for sociology but not history and was wondering if you would be open to sharing with me any flashcards or notes you had. I’m really struggling with making them for all subjects and the lessons done aren’t enough for me to use my folder to revise from. I would be really thankful if you can share anything at all
Hey if you were to theoretically get BBB in your Y12 mocks could you be predicted AAA and all the B's were in the middle
Reply 19
I don't really understand your Q sorry, can you rephrase it pls?

Original post by jack_ray13
Hey if you were to theoretically get BBB in your Y12 mocks could you be predicted AAA and all the B's were in the middle

Quick Reply

Latest