The Student Room Group

A Level help (very urgent!!)

i'm struggling to revise my a-levels rn, i got my ppes back and they weren't very good
i do maths, economics and physics (crazy, I know) and I know i have the potential to get AAB or ABB at the end of Year 13 (i'm in Yr 12)
The thing is that my revision is kind of working, but the time for me to revise isn't there
I'm not sure when to revise to fit around my daily routine and I don't want to revise too much cause I know that is kind of bad

Do you any of you have any tips on revising, how to make an effective timetable, and to also enjoy life whilst revising, i'd appreciate any help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I also get side tracked kind of easily, especially with twitter, football news and editing so i'm not rlly sure how to work around that, then again, i'd appreciate any help
Original post by dooby_boss
i'm struggling to revise my a-levels rn, i got my ppes back and they weren't very good
i do maths, economics and physics (crazy, I know) and I know i have the potential to get AAB or ABB at the end of Year 13 (i'm in Yr 12)
The thing is that my revision is kind of working, but the time for me to revise isn't there
I'm not sure when to revise to fit around my daily routine and I don't want to revise too much cause I know that is kind of bad
Do you any of you have any tips on revising, how to make an effective timetable, and to also enjoy life whilst revising, i'd appreciate any help!
For me, im revising for my IGCSE (im in year11) and i had many activities after school. After such an afternoon, i didnt want to study in the afternoon so since a month. I go to bed earlier and i wake up at 6 am work for an hour and a half and on the same day before bed i reread the work or thing i worked on that morning. And now i arrive at school way more awake and its so much easier to work.

I would definitely say don’t stress too much in year 12 because you don’t have to do a massive amount of revision to make your account for economics. I would say make sure that you understand the graphs and maybe do a couple past paper questions and do the same for maths and physics maybe aim to do one past paper question Each week from each subject maybe Monday physics, Wednesday economics and Friday maths. I would definitely say that definitely revise for the mocks that you will have. I mean 13 and you know every day but I did not do that and I will honestly say work around your social life Maybe make a study group and study for a couple of hours I this year have forced myself to go to the library. I finish at half one then I’ll go to the library until it closes at six and then if I finish at three and it closes at seven then I’ll go then as well if you’ve got a friend who also is in your class, or they don’t even have to be in your classes And they kind of feel like they wanna revise. You don’t want to do too much going to a library and revising is free and it’s also a way of kind of having a social life while maintaining your grade. I would honestly say make your social this year because in year 13, you do not have as much of a social life if you’re planning grades For my social life is going with my friends to the library and revising with them. Hang around for a little bit in the centre and then we go to the library so that we don’t have a social life. That makes sense. There are some good AI timetables that are made for revision Revising is quite good for making a revision timetable that combat your classes as well if you work I would say if you work for the weekend definitely do it after work and then you still got the possibility to have a social life or even if you want to go out after college with your mates, then just use your rep periods and study junior free periods because you more than yourself in year 13 make sure you have all your notes and economics because I take it I know that tutor to you is really good that’s also another way you can revise it through tutor to you weekly videos of a Tuesday which is when they go through a specific topic But you can also look back at it later that you don’t have to watch it on a Tuesday which I find really helpful because if I have a free period or if I have time where I’m not really doing anything then I will watch them then and take notes because they’re really helpful for a vision I would definitely say just try and maintain your grades we forgot to revising I would say just pass paper questions are honestly your best friend, and if you have them in to your teachers or even plan out the question and then hand it in then that will help a lot for Revision because you’ll get the marking back once you’ve done the question, but when you’ve also done the plan for the question your teacher can help you come back what you’ve done always ask questions in class because if you’re struggling with something for whatever reason and you don’t ask, you might not have another chance to ask so definitely say those are my top tips ask questions Maybe revise with your friends use AI to make a revision timetable have a social life and don’t let college overrun that especially because you’re in your 12 and you wanna make it count as much as you can because in year 13 that social life will still be there, but in a different wayand definitely handing questions because the more questions you answer the more you improve and that your grade gets

Scheduling really works for me! I used in for my A-Levels and I used it at university now, both times I lived quite busy lives. I would print yourself a study schedule, which blocks out hour by hour of your day. Write in your usual schedule, including your hobbies/things you do for fun, but without your usual revision times. This gives you a really good view of what time you do have for revision :smile: And then fit in those revision hours in the slots you have left. Its recommended that you have 2hrs a day for revision time. If you find that you don't have enough time, I would revaluate what you do currently and see if you can do less of it. It doesn't necessarily mean cut out your hobbies entirely, but maybe being a bit stricter to yourself. If you play games for 5 hrs in a work week, for example, maybe you can cut it to 3hrs. That way, you're still doing what you like, but balancing out a bit more.

I've found that scheduling really helps with procrastination. A lot of the time I'm not revising because I'm just distracting myself! And it also helps with setting a structure to your life. It's normal to not stick to your schedule to the T, but it can be a helpful start in aiming to revise in a more balanced way.

I've also found the pomodoro technique (work 25mins, break 5 mins, etc, have a long break every now and again) really helped as well. It makes studying less of a beast of a task :smile:

Hope thats helped!

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
I mainly use a flashcards app on my phone so that I can get some revision done when going to/from school
I would recommend an app called MyStudyLife and it makes the study plan for you so you can keep track of what you need to do. Also, if you want to look at our app Econominds, we have bite-sized gamified content where a 15 minute a day game is equivalent to 2 hours in the classroom! Check us out on www.econominds.co.uk
Original post by nell-is-cold
I mainly use a flashcards app on my phone so that I can get some revision done when going to/from school
If you like bite-size learning you can do on your mobile, check out www.econominds.co.uk where a 15-minute gamified lesson is equivalent to 2 hours in the classroom
Which board is your Maths?
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Which board is your Maths?
edexcel, its also edexcel for econ and aqa for physics
Do you use Dr Frost? It's a great website for checking understanding https://www.drfrost.org/courses.php?coid=29

Also I like MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/ [revision and worksheets]
Original post by Muttley79
Do you use Dr Frost? It's a great website for checking understanding https://www.drfrost.org/courses.php?coid=29
Also I like MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/ [revision and worksheets]
thx for the recommendations!!!
i use mme as well but not as much
thx again!!

I do maths and econ a level and the same exam boards as u. Are u economics a or b?? For maths I would say when doing ur revision try so many practise questions and try to do them timed as it will help you keep your composure in your exams. For economics blurting saved me so I would highly recommend that. In terms of planning your revision and having a social life I would say make sure u plan to do some fun things alongside revision like a day out or something or going out after a timetabled day revision as it gives you something to look forward to. If u need help for econ or maths i can try to help
Original post by Dhdhehuxhc
I do maths and econ a level and the same exam boards as u. Are u economics a or b?? For maths I would say when doing ur revision try so many practise questions and try to do them timed as it will help you keep your composure in your exams. For economics blurting saved me so I would highly recommend that. In terms of planning your revision and having a social life I would say make sure u plan to do some fun things alongside revision like a day out or something or going out after a timetabled day revision as it gives you something to look forward to. If u need help for econ or maths i can try to help

thx fam, i do edexcel A for econ
I also get side tracked kind of easily, especially with twitter, football news and editing so i'm not rlly sure how to work around that, then again, i'd appreciate any help

Well you can start by limiting the time you spend on twitter and other social medias. I know its easier said than done but even starting off by spending 10-30 minutes less every week on social media will work. Unless you edit as a job, leave it for now.
Your EOY mocks are really important, they will be used to predict your grades for A-levels and used in your UCAS applications. Don't think lightly of it, if you know you have potential for AAB-ABB then work for it.
It'll pay off, you can worry about editing, football, etc during this summer or next summer - relaxing cuz you know your hard work paid off.
Your daily routine should consist of you studying, idk wat ur doing with a routine which doesnt have studying included. Heck, leave a few things out of ur routine if it means to fit in studying.
Study at least 1-2hrs per day, a levels isn't like GCSEs where you can get 9s just by revising in the last 2 weeks. You need to be consistent. And since you're upset with your PPEs its clear that you need to revise so how that isn't your priority baffles me. Sorry if it all sounds condescending or rude but u gotta hear what u deserve to hear.

Also, make a study plan. For me i felt as if schedules where I planned what I was meant to do every day, every hour was really hard to follow. Weighed too much on me so I couldn't do it. If that's the case for you make a very brief plan, e.g week 1 - finish said topic
or April - finish maths topic 1
It's easier to follow since you have so much time.
If working under pressure motivates you to study then gather your friends and set urself a date where you're going to an exam all together on the topic you all find the hardest. It might work since you know you have an exam, all your friends are gonna know your results, you'd wanna have good grades - this only work if your friends are willing to do it though.

Something that helps me study and makes it fun is lighting a candle and marking a spot on the candle to signify when I can stop studying. Also i like watching study with me videos as it feel like ppl are studying with me - makes me more motivated. Take 10 minute breaks every 30-50 minutes and watch something or eat something, this helps you to stop feeling drained from long continuous study sessions.
Also, maybe go to a library? The library near my area has a study room where students study and because its so quiet and everyone's studying, you're almost forced to study too since it'll look weird if you dont.
Original post by limbobimbo
Well you can start by limiting the time you spend on twitter and other social medias. I know its easier said than done but even starting off by spending 10-30 minutes less every week on social media will work. Unless you edit as a job, leave it for now.
Your EOY mocks are really important, they will be used to predict your grades for A-levels and used in your UCAS applications. Don't think lightly of it, if you know you have potential for AAB-ABB then work for it.
It'll pay off, you can worry about editing, football, etc during this summer or next summer - relaxing cuz you know your hard work paid off.
Your daily routine should consist of you studying, idk wat ur doing with a routine which doesnt have studying included. Heck, leave a few things out of ur routine if it means to fit in studying.
Study at least 1-2hrs per day, a levels isn't like GCSEs where you can get 9s just by revising in the last 2 weeks. You need to be consistent. And since you're upset with your PPEs its clear that you need to revise so how that isn't your priority baffles me. Sorry if it all sounds condescending or rude but u gotta hear what u deserve to hear.
Also, make a study plan. For me i felt as if schedules where I planned what I was meant to do every day, every hour was really hard to follow. Weighed too much on me so I couldn't do it. If that's the case for you make a very brief plan, e.g week 1 - finish said topic
or April - finish maths topic 1
It's easier to follow since you have so much time.
If working under pressure motivates you to study then gather your friends and set urself a date where you're going to an exam all together on the topic you all find the hardest. It might work since you know you have an exam, all your friends are gonna know your results, you'd wanna have good grades - this only work if your friends are willing to do it though.
Something that helps me study and makes it fun is lighting a candle and marking a spot on the candle to signify when I can stop studying. Also i like watching study with me videos as it feel like ppl are studying with me - makes me more motivated. Take 10 minute breaks every 30-50 minutes and watch something or eat something, this helps you to stop feeling drained from long continuous study sessions.
Also, maybe go to a library? The library near my area has a study room where students study and because its so quiet and everyone's studying, you're almost forced to study too since it'll look weird if you dont.

thx for the help fam, don't worry bout sounding rude, i didn't rlly word my sentences properly when I was writing this anyways, my routine isn't me coming after school, eating and then going on social media till bed, I do revise a lot but its just me tryna balance it out with the things i like doing
Hi dooby_boss,

Well done for reaching out for help with your studies, it is a good indicator that you're taking them seriously.

I'm not proficient in the subjects you're doing nor I have studied in the UK before going to uni. However, in case it proves to be helpful at all, I'll share some generic tips which I've found to be useful with studying along a busy extra-curricular schedule - on top of the very great advice you have already been given by the commenters before me 😉 .

To economise with the time you have got for revision, which, as you implied is not a lot of time, it may be worth it to find out what kind of learner you are (e.g. visual, auditory, kinaesthetic, or perhaps a mix of these). There is an assessment online called VAK test to find it out. By establishing the type of learner you are, you can find the best ways to learn that work for you - this assessment tool also provides some examples of how you can utilise your strenghts. Having less time/having to share your available time between multiple activities and duties, many times working around fixed schedules can make it challenging to fit in other, less bound activities such as studying, but it can also help you in the sense that many of your activities are already planned, and some kind fo schedule is already given.
In this case, you might not have a whole lot of a choice regarding the time of day you study, but in any case, it's helpful to think through which times of day you are most active mentally, when can you mostly focus. It might sound cliche, but it is really useful as you don't have much time to waste with a busy schedule, and you want the time you have available to study to be as effective as it can be - which will leave you with a greater sense of achievement and peace of mind as well. There are tests online that help you establish if you are an early bird, night owl etc. (not sure if they are called these, but I hope you get my point), however I can't think the name of these tests now - should be easy enough to find them though.

Another tip I could share, which may sound silly but it works, is to forget your phone somewhere in the house prior to sitting down studying. That way, when you feel sidetracked, it won't be readily available 'just to look at it for 5mins'. If you're as forgetful as me, this won't be a difficult task 😂.

You may also want to reach out to high achieving peers to share their tips or their understanding on subjects - sometimes it's peers that can explain something in the way that's easiest to understand.

That's it from me, I hope my insights provided even a tiny bit of assistance, and please let us know how you're getting on, if you feel like it of course.

Viki
Student Ambassador
3rd year Psychology and Sociology Student

Hi, if you wants any notes for edexcel economics from theme 1 to theme 4 as well as in-depth case studies for contextual references, evaluation points and essay plans - please message me, I would love to answer any questions you may have as well !! 💚
Original post by schoolgirl 69
Hi, if you wants any notes for edexcel economics from theme 1 to theme 4 as well as in-depth case studies for contextual references, evaluation points and essay plans - please message me, I would love to answer any questions you may have as well !! 💚

Hey! I’m not the original commentator but I was wondering if I could also get your notes, as it would would be really useful especially with the essay plans and ev points, as i also have a hard time with those 😅
Original post by luffyyyy
Hey! I’m not the original commentator but I was wondering if I could also get your notes, as it would would be really useful especially with the essay plans and ev points, as i also have a hard time with those 😅

yes of course lovely - could you please priv message me n I’ll tell u more

Quick Reply

Latest