The Student Room Group

Has the Academy taken enough steps towards equality?

After the last couple years of #OscarsSoWhite, the Academy have invited more new voters than ever to join the ranks. 46% were women, and 41% were people of colour. Of course, the vast majority of voters are still white males over 50. There is more diversity noted in the nominations this year though. Is this really enough though?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chelseadagg3r
After the last couple years of #OscarsSoWhite, the Academy have invited more new voters than ever to join the ranks. 46% were women, and 41% were people of colour. Of course, the vast majority of voters are still white males over 50. There is more diversity noted in the nominations this year though. Is this really enough though?

I don't understand why an awards ceremony for entertainment requires equality. Further i don't understand why 41% should be people of colour given that most of the western population is white.

For me, it devalues the Oscars.
Original post by Rakas21
I don't understand why an awards ceremony for entertainment requires equality. Further i don't understand why 41% should be people of colour given that most of the western population is white.

For me, it devalues the Oscars.

The point is that most Academy voters, by a huge amount, are white males over 50. Most nominees end up white males, despite the brilliance shown by women and people of colour. Only 3 or 4 women have ever been nominated for best director in the 89 years of the Academy Awards, and only one has won. 41% of voters in total aren't people of colour. 41% of new invitations to the Academy went to people of colour. That's about 300 people out of 7000 total voters.
Tokenism isn't the way to go, equality shouldn't mean that there should be the exact same number of white people as black people as asian people. It shouldn't mean a black actor gets nominated just because he's black and they're trying to show they can be diverse, when the reality is a white actor deserved it more, that's just an insult. Equality should mean that everyone has the same chance to be a member/to win an award. There are more white people in America than black people, so it makes sense there's more white people in the Academy.

People point the finger at the Academy for lack of black nominations (they aren't perfect either) but I think the problem lies in the industry in actually creating opportunities for more ethnic people to work in the film industry. However, again on the other hand, studios are business companies, and they make movies to make money and the audience doesn't react to films with black, asian or women leads than we do with white leads. That's just a fact. Look at Ghostbusters, look at a number of films. If doing films like that are going to lose them money because of those choices they aren't going to do it and that's down to us. I don't think 99% of Hollywood has any agenda against minorities, they just listen to the box office receipts and what we the audience tell them through that.
The point is that most Academy voters, by a huge amount, are white males over 50. Most nominees end up white males, despite the brilliance shown by women and people of colour. Only 3 or 4 women have ever been nominated for best director in the 89 years of the Academy Awards, and only one has won. 41% of voters in total aren't people of colour. 41% of new invitations to the Academy went to people of colour. That's about 300 people out of 7000 total voters.

Much like my post above this, that's not the Academy's fault, there just simply aren't many female directors being given a chance to make big films. You can't vote for female directors that don't exist. It's the studios who should be giving them movies to make and we, as an audience, who go out and support them and show the studios they're making the changes we want.
Reply 5

I'm a person of colour and I think the nominations should be based on merit and not race. Otherwise, it is not right.
Original post by AndrewSCO
Much like my post above this, that's not the Academy's fault, there just simply aren't many female directors being given a chance to make big films. You can't vote for female directors that don't exist. It's the studios who should be giving them movies to make and we, as an audience, who go out and support them and show the studios they're making the changes we want.

No, I agree. I was just giving the stats :tongue: Interestingly, half of all film students and people entering into the industry are women. The higher the budget of the film, the less women are being given the opportunity to take part in it. I've done a lot of research into it because I'm in pre-production for a documentary on it. I think a part of the problem does lie in the fact that nominees are automatically invited to join the Academy, and because the majority have always been white males, this adds to the problem. I am aware that this is only a small portion on invites though, and isn't much of a contribution to the issue in its entirety. Just a though a had. Anyway, I do think the issue lies in the industry itself, but it's interesting how the Academy seems like a magnifying glass over it, if that makes sense. It just highlights the issues, and this is when most people talk about it and take note
Original post by RedManc
I'm a person of colour and I think the nominations should be based on merit and not race. Otherwise, it is not right.

Of course, I agree. To give out pity nominations is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's correct or incorrect, but there's a lot of discussion on whether people of particular races are being subbed because of the voting body. I just wanted to hear others' opinions on the matter, and particularly for those who took part in the whole #OscarsSoWhite thing whether they believed the Academy were taking the right steps or not
No, I agree. I was just giving the stats :tongue: Interestingly, half of all film students and people entering into the industry are women. The higher the budget of the film, the less women are being given the opportunity to take part in it. I've done a lot of research into it because I'm in pre-production for a documentary on it. I think a part of the problem does lie in the fact that nominees are automatically invited to join the Academy, and because the majority have always been white males, this adds to the problem. I am aware that this is only a small portion on invites though, and isn't much of a contribution to the issue in its entirety. Just a though a had. Anyway, I do think the issue lies in the industry itself, but it's interesting how the Academy seems like a magnifying glass over it, if that makes sense. It just highlights the issues, and this is when most people talk about it and take note

Yup, the only three female directors I could name off the top of my head right now are Kathryn Bigelow, Ava DuVernay and Patty Jenkins. I know Angelina Jolie has directed a film or two as well but that's about it.

Bigelow got an $11m budget for The Hurt Locker, I just checked, so I'm guessing Patty Jenkins is probably the only modern female director to be given a big budget studio movie with Wonder Woman? Maybe there's more but the fact I can't even think of any tells its own story. But again, that just shows it's not the Academy who are snubbing them, it's the studios/producers not giving them a chance or it's the audience telling the studios we don't want it.

I don't think the fact nominees get an invite plays much of a part, I mean there's equal male actor/sup actor noms as females, so it's really only directors that unbalance the 50/50 ration and that's only an extra 5 a year max, where many nominees will probably already have been nominated before. I honestly think the majority of the Academy would vote fairly for blacks/women if they had something to nominate them for.
Yup, the only three female directors I could name off the top of my head right now are Kathryn Bigelow, Ava DuVernay and Patty Jenkins. I know Angelina Jolie has directed a film or two as well but that's about it.

Bigelow got an $11m budget for The Hurt Locker, I just checked, so I'm guessing Patty Jenkins is probably the only modern female director to be given a big budget studio movie with Wonder Woman? Maybe there's more but the fact I can't even think of any tells its own story. But again, that just shows it's not the Academy who are snubbing them, it's the studios/producers not giving them a chance or it's the audience telling the studios we don't want it.

I don't think the fact nominees get an invite plays much of a part, I mean there's equal male actor/sup actor noms as females, so it's really only directors that unbalance the 50/50 ration and that's only an extra 5 a year max, where many nominees will probably already have been nominated before. I honestly think the majority of the Academy would vote fairly for blacks/women if they had something to nominate them for.

Well it's everything really. Cinematographers, sound editing/mixing, and all the others. But yeah, it's still nothing compared to the number of the rest of the invites. I do agree that the problem doesn't lie necessarily with the Academy, but it is nice to see that they recognise there are problems and have taken their own steps. I'm torn on the voting part though. I think there definitely needs to be more women and POC being given the opportunities before we can jump to conclusions and say that there's definitely bias in the voting
Well it's everything really. Cinematographers, sound editing/mixing, and all the others. But yeah, it's still nothing compared to the number of the rest of the invites. I do agree that the problem doesn't lie necessarily with the Academy, but it is nice to see that they recognise there are problems and have taken their own steps. I'm torn on the voting part though. I think there definitely needs to be more women and POC being given the opportunities before we can jump to conclusions and say that there's definitely bias in the voting

Think about those hair and makeup and costume design categories though :wink: I'm kidding :frown:

Yeah, hopefully Wonder Woman does well and Patty Jenkins can prove she can handle a big budget movie and get more opportunities.
Think about those hair and makeup and costume design categories though :wink: I'm kidding :frown:

Yeah, hopefully Wonder Woman does well and Patty Jenkins can prove she can handle a big budget movie and get more opportunities.

:laugh:

Yeah, I hope so. It'd be nice to see a success story come from it
I'm a POC and I find it disgusting and extremely patronising how people like yourself think we need special attention or measures to 'make it'. It's a complete non-issue.

You may have good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with those.
Original post by Palmyra
I'm a POC and I find it disgusting and extremely patronising how people like yourself think we need special attention or measures to 'make it'. It's a complete non-issue.

You may have good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with those.

That's not what I'm saying. As you can read above, I agree with a similar point. I'm merely trying to start discussion on other people's opinions on whether they've done the right thing, where issues lie, and whether people are doing enough. I'm trying to spark discussion into whether there are deeper issues into the industry. My personal and professional research has been more into women and film, and it's a similar question to 'why are there so little women in jobs such as directing when half of all people entering the industry are women?'. I'm asking if people believe there is a correlation between Academy voters being largely white males and nominees ending up largely white males. It's a valid question to ask considering the vry current controversy and discussion around it.
That's not what I'm saying. As you can read above, I agree with a similar point. I'm merely trying to start discussion on other people's opinions on whether they've done the right thing, where issues lie, and whether people are doing enough. I'm trying to spark discussion into whether there are deeper issues into the industry. My personal and professional research has been more into women and film, and it's a similar question to 'why are there so little women in jobs such as directing when half of all people entering the industry are women?'. I'm asking if people believe there is a correlation between Academy voters being largely white males and nominees ending up largely white males. It's a valid question to ask considering the vry current controversy and discussion around it.

You are a vile White racist who can't see past colour. I want nothing to do with you.
Original post by Palmyra
You are a vile White racist who can't see past colour. I want nothing to do with you.

This statement is completely ridiculous. She did absolutely nothing to warrant these comments.
This statement is completely ridiculous. She did absolutely nothing to warrant these comments.

More Whitesplaining. Nice.
Original post by Palmyra
More Whitesplaining. Nice.

You repped my post which suggests you agreed with what I said, and you said the same thing in your post too. However, there's absolutely no need to start calling people racists who have said absolutely nothing racist whatsoever, and whose intentions are actually for the betterment of the people you seem to think she is attacking, regardless if you agree or disagree with with one thing she said. Which also, she said she agreed about not giving token awards.
You repped my post which suggests you agreed with what I said, and you said the same thing in your post too. However, there's absolutely no need to start calling people racists who have said absolutely nothing racist whatsoever, and whose intentions are actually for the betterment of the people you seem to think she is attacking, regardless if you agree or disagree with with one thing she said. Which also, she said she agreed about not giving token awards.

Spare me your White tears

The road to hell...
Original post by Palmyra
Spare me your White tears

The road to hell...

Okay well I think you've shown yourself up to be a bit of an idiot. Good day

Quick Reply

Latest