The Student Room Group

Unable to change my mindset

Even before I start something I already feel like I have lost the game so I don't even want to try to do anything together. But I can't continue living like this as I am never going to achieve something. I know failure is part of everyday life, what I fear the most is failure triggering me mentally and causing a downward spiral again.

I have been to therapy twice already, I have taken a lot of antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and antipsychotics in both present and past. Please no comments about going to see a professional about this because I have been doing that for 6 years now. The only positive outcome of this is just keeping me alive and safe but nothing to change how I feel inside.
Original post by Anonymous
Even before I start something I already feel like I have lost the game so I don't even want to try to do anything together. But I can't continue living like this as I am never going to achieve something. I know failure is part of everyday life, what I fear the most is failure triggering me mentally and causing a downward spiral again.

I have been to therapy twice already, I have taken a lot of antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and antipsychotics in both present and past. Please no comments about going to see a professional about this because I have been doing that for 6 years now. The only positive outcome of this is just keeping me alive and safe but nothing to change how I feel inside.

I shouldn't comment on your mental health since I'm not a qualified therapist. However, I have found the following to be helpful:

Focus on small wins before building up to the bigger wins - baby steps will get you more progress than leaps of faith

When retrospectively look at your negative spiral, analyse and look into what factors are locking you into that spiral. How can you turn to disrupt these factors so you can at least change trajectory?

Change the environment so you have one that's more progressive and help you work towards the goals you want e.g. if you want to lose weight, it doesn't help if your house and room is filled with junk food

Find out what the unhealthy or unhelpful habits are and find substitutes for them. If you need something more specific, I would need a better context

Find a mentor if it's for something specific - the mentor must have achieved something you want or is at least a lot closer to what you want than you are

We can't control everything we want in our lives, but what we can control it can make a big enough difference. Learn about stoicism.

Original post by Anonymous

I know this is likely something youve heard a lot from mental health professionals and gps (i know i have for literally every issue ive ever had) but, daily exercise helped me feel better because it gave me a small achievable goal. There this Yt channel I use, growwithjo, the work outs range from really quick and easy ones to longer more intense ones. Just doing the small 5 minute ones made me feel better, not cus theres anything life changing in it, but having the exercise guided made me feel less silly doing it, and even when i was unable to do anything else that day i felt like i still achieved something.

Like i said youve probably heard this a bunch but like the previous commenter has said, small goals, i felt so proud when id finally worked up enough stamina to complete a 30 minute work out with out needing extra breaks, i felt id acheived something significant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending