The Student Room Group

Cambridge maths personal statement

Hello, I had a question regarding the personal statement, particularly geared towards maths at Cambridge. From my understanding, it is not a huge factor in deciding if an offer is given at the end (I may be wrong about this, however this is to my current understanding), but naturally will play a large role in deciding if I get an interview. I am concerned however, that I am not a great writer, and I keep seeing personal statements from people who got in talking about the whimsy of maths etc. Which although I wholly agree with and I am equally as excited by maths, I just cannot formulate the wording for it myself. I was wondering if this style of writing is typical of successful ones and is generally suggested, or if it is survivorship bias, as I am passionate about and have good achievements in maths and my grades/reference are very good, I am however a bad writer, and that concerns me when a big part of the application is the personal statement.
Reply 1
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
Hello, I had a question regarding the personal statement, particularly geared towards maths at Cambridge. From my understanding, it is not a huge factor in deciding if an offer is given at the end (I may be wrong about this, however this is to my current understanding), but naturally will play a large role in deciding if I get an interview. I am concerned however, that I am not a great writer, and I keep seeing personal statements from people who got in talking about the whimsy of maths etc. Which although I wholly agree with and I am equally as excited by maths, I just cannot formulate the wording for it myself. I was wondering if this style of writing is typical of successful ones and is generally suggested, or if it is survivorship bias, as I am passionate about and have good achievements in maths and my grades/reference are very good, I am however a bad writer, and that concerns me when a big part of the application is the personal statement.

Hi
Don’t worry, the personal statement is important but not the be all and end all. You can convey your passion without using poetic whimsy. The language that you have used in this post is fine, what you say is more important than how you say it. Also, is there anyone at school that can help you with it? I don’t mean write it for you, but support you and make suggestions.

For Cambridge maths , which is very competitive obviously, most applicants will be excellent at Maths , having A* predictions in Maths and Further maths at A level. In order to be selected for interview you need to stand out. An excellent way to do this is to sit the TMUA . An excellent TMUA score should get you an interview ( all other things being equal) and will be held in much higher regard than your personal statement.
Reply 2
Original post by MathsEnjoyer

Why not try the tsr service
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154
Im presuming youve looked at the cambridge recommended supercurriculars to get some ideas
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf

Ive not heard of people taking tmua for interview and doubt it would be beneficial, otherwise it would be clearly stated. Step would keep you busy enough.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Why not try the tsr service
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154
Im presuming youve looked at the cambridge recommended supercurriculars to get some ideas
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf

Ive not heard of people taking tmua for interview and doubt it would be beneficial, otherwise it would be clearly stated. Step would keep you busy enough.

The TMUA is not required but I know many many who have taken it when applying to Cambridge maths. It is a good way of standing out if you think that you will perform well in it. The TMUA is taken in the autumn of year 13 and Cambridge will get the results prior to interview selection. The STEP is taken in the summer of year 13 so will not help get you an interview, unless you are applying after finishing year 13. If you don’t think that you would perform well in the TMUA then it is better not to do it then to do it and do badly. If your strength lies in maths and not personal statements, the TMUA is a good option. I agree though, it is not required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending