The Student Room Group

resolving forces

A glider of weight 2500N is being towed with constant speed by a four-wheel drive vehicle. The tow-rope is inclined at 25 degrees to the horizontal and the glider is inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal as shown in the diagram. The air resistance has magnitude R N and the lift has magnitude L N; the directions in which the act are shown in the diagram. Calculate the values of R and L, given that the tension in the rope is 3000N.
3 hours without correct answer
Original post by Deffect
A glider of weight 2500N is being towed with constant speed by a four-wheel drive vehicle. The tow-rope is inclined at 25 degrees to the horizontal and the glider is inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal as shown in the diagram. The air resistance has magnitude R N and the lift has magnitude L N; the directions in which the act are shown in the diagram. Calculate the values of R and L, given that the tension in the rope is 3000N.
3 hours without correct answer

You say you're resolving horizontally when in fact it seems like you're resolving in the direction of motion (which is not horizontal)

It is best if you resolve parallel and perpendicular to the line of motion, as you have attempted but not quite correctly.

That gives you -

Parallel: R+2500sin(30)=3000cos(55)R+2500\sin(30)=3000\cos(55) - can you see where this comes from?

Can you work out the perpendicular one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Reply 3
this is a correct diagram ?
Reply 4
Perpendicular =-Lsin(90)+2500cos(35)+3000sin(35)=0
Reply 5
how can i draw the force L (vector )
Original post by Deffect
how can i draw the force L (vector )

Looking at your diagram, I think you need to go back and look at basic work on angles. Without a thorough understanding of them, it's going to be impossible to work with forces.
Reply 7
oh , now i understand ( because glider is inclined 30 degree to horizontal and L inclined to vertical 30 degree so must to be 90 degree to vertical)
Original post by Deffect
this is a correct diagram ?

No it is not correct - corrected some of your angles, but you revisit work on angles as mentioned above to deduce them correctly

Reply 9
thank you , but when i dram your diagram the possibility of make mistakes increase )

Quick Reply

Latest