The Student Room Group

Moment of force difficult question

I was doing an A level question set by my teacher and have clue where to begin I tried drawing a diagram but still don't know how to answer the question here it is:An equilateral triangle ABC has sides of length 1 m. Forces of 3 N, 5 N and 2 N
act along AC, BD and AD, respectively, where D is the midpoint of BC. Find the
force at B and the couple, which together are equivalent to this system of forces.
Original post by Darkseid807
I was doing an A level question set by my teacher and have clue where to begin I tried drawing a diagram but still don't know how to answer the question here it is:An equilateral triangle ABC has sides of length 1 m. Forces of 3 N, 5 N and 2 N
act along AC, BD and AD, respectively, where D is the midpoint of BC. Find the
force at B and the couple, which together are equivalent to this system of forces.

A couple is two equal, antiparallel forces acting to produce rotation (no linear motion). Do you mean the torque at B, which would be the forces along AC and AD, which would be 2sin30+3sin60, since the length is 1m, we don't need to include a (1), which gives a (1+3/2sqrt3)Nm torque about B and then the force at B would be the force BD, 5N. It could also be an equilibrium question, where perhaps one of the vertex is fixed to some point and you have to resolve; or maybe its a vertex fixed to a point and hanging from the point or a wall etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest