The Student Room Group

Why does Christopher Hitchens have so many fanboys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I'm not actually religious or offended by what he said, I just didn't like him much personally. I don't like Dawkins or Fry either.

Nobody forces you to invite him for dinner. Otherwise the problem is completely irrelevant.

Answering to the question stated in thread's title: Christians have their bishops to speak in their name, Atheists have, ekhm, had Hitchens.
(edited 7 years ago)
He was a legend.
He was pretty smart and oozed charisma
I just watched him debate Peter, changed my mind a bit although he was arrogant in bits.
I just watched him debate Peter, changed my mind a bit although he was arrogant in bits.

A pinch of arrogance sometimes really does add to the character of a person.
He wouldn't have the same appeal if he was totally modest
Original post by Zargabaath
A pinch of arrogance sometimes really does add to the character of a person.
He wouldn't have the same appeal if he was totally modest

I get that, it's his style is a little suave for me- a bit like Martin Amis, and Fry, it's similar in them.
I get that, it's his style is a little suave for me- a bit like Martin Amis, and Fry, it's similar in them.

My dad dislikes him for a similar reason, says he's pompous. I think that's partly due to my dad being religious however. He likes Fry.
Original post by Zargabaath
My dad dislikes him for a similar reason, says he's pompous. I think that's partly due to my dad being religious however. He likes Fry.

I think it relates to my dislike of the English class thing, it's the huge divide in opportunity and privilege and entitlement conveyed, plus respect people are used to getting just on the superficial. I find our literary establishment, for example, quite pompous and pretentious compared to better American writers. It seems more club and approval based than talent based. It extends to politics too though.

If he was raised in the US I might like him, who knows?
I think with the Americans, they like the idea of some ludicrously suave and sophisticated patrician talking down to them. God knows why.

I could never stand him and his ludicrous affectations, and pomposity.

It's like with Martin Amis, and Stephen Fry.

It's a pompous, risible crock of **** and virtually encapsulates everything that's wrong with England.

It's the same kind of pseudo sophisticated thing that makes certain types of English think we are superior. Worse it's indicative of a class apartheid , myopic, narcissistic country with it's head up it's own arse.

I much prefer most American writers and intellectuals to ours.

So I'm reading all the comments about pomposity and affectation and what's going through my mind? Some of the pompous, affected, egoistic and vain US commentators that can be seen any night of the week on numerous American news networks and youtube sites. It isn't just a British thing!

Hitch wasn't popular because of his pomposity (I don't deny he sometimes showed a touch of that) but because of the human, intelligent, probing way that he addressed issues and because of his superb debating skills and logic.

He lost the support of many on the left when he started praising Bush for Afghanistan and Iraq, but he's lasted the course and I think his reputation can only grow still more over time. He left behind some brilliant books and wonderful interviews and talks.
He was a top class Marxist.

:ninja:
Christopher is okay. I hardly agree with anything he says, though. I just like watching him talk, and I think a lot of other people do, who may not necessarily agree with him. He has a distinctive personality.

I'm a big fan of his brother, Peter.

(sorry, I realize I worded in present tense. i'm aware that Christopher's gone)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
So I'm reading all the comments about pomposity and affectation and what's going through my mind? Some of the pompous, affected, egoistic and vain US commentators that can be seen any night of the week on numerous American news networks and youtube sites. It isn't just a British thing!

Hitch wasn't popular because of his pomposity (I don't deny he sometimes showed a touch of that) but because of the human, intelligent, probing way that he addressed issues and because of his superb debating skills and logic.

He lost the support of many on the left when he started praising Bush for Afghanistan and Iraq, but he's lasted the course and I think his reputation can only grow still more over time. He left behind some brilliant books and wonderful interviews and talks.

Completely disagree. He is ephemeral and in a couple of hundred years will be as forgotten as are the controversialists of the nineteenth century as far as we are concerned.

And I say this as someone who has read a couple of his books and watched many of his interviews and rather enjoyed them.

He did well for someone who got a Third though, I'll give him that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending