The Student Room Group

Moles to moles!

If 0.0140 moles of nitroglycerine (C3H5N3O9) is decomposed, how many total moles of gas are produced?

As a balanced equation I got 4C3H5N3O9-> 12C02+6N2+O2+10H2O if that helps in any way
Reply 1
you might get more help on here https://brainly.com/
Original post by katie.collllins
If 0.0140 moles of nitroglycerine (C3H5N3O9) is decomposed, how many total moles of gas are produced?

As a balanced equation I got 4C3H5N3O9-> 12C02+6N2+O2+10H2O if that helps in any way

Hi Katie,

When you are using moles of a certain reagent to work out the moles of another reactant or product, you always want to use the stoichiometric ratios (coefficients) present in the balanced equation.

The balanced equation you have given tells us that for every four molecules of nitroglycerine that decompose, 29 molecules of gas will be formed. That is 12 molecules of carbon dioxide, 6 molecules of nitrogen and so on. Do note that under the conditions of this reaction water is produced as steam.

Now we can plug in numbers:

ratio of Nitroglycerine:Gas is 4:29
Hence moles of gas (0.0140/4)*29=0.1015 moles of gas

Note:

I was actually doing this question with a student yesterday and you were required to calculate the moles of oxygen present first and then to use those moles to work out total moles of gas.

You may be doing a different questions but if you were supposed to work out and use the moles of oxygen the method is very similar.

moles of oxygen* sum of stoichiometric coefficients of gases= total moles of gas present

Feel free to message me if you need help!

Gurpreet,

UCL Chemistry Graduate
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest