The Student Room Group

Can someone please provide me a solution to this

In the manufacture of titanium, what mass of titanium can theoretically be formed when 0.5kg of titanium chloride reacts with .1kg of magnesium?

TiCl4 + 2Mg ---> Ti + 2MgCl2
Original post by ZAKhan.
In the manufacture of titanium, what mass of titanium can theoretically be formed when 0.5kg of titanium chloride reacts with .1kg of magnesium?

TiCl4 + 2Mg ---> Ti + 2MgCl2

Work out moles of TiCl4
Work out moles of magnesium
Use to mole ratio to determine the limiting reagent
Use the mole ratio of limiting reagent to find moles of Ti
Find mass of Ti
Reply 2
calculate the number of moles for each reactant. The molar mass of TiCl4 is 189.7 g/mol, and the molar mass of Mg is 24.3 g/mol.

For titanium chloride:
0.5 kg = 500 g
Number of moles = mass / molar mass
Number of moles of TiCl4 = 500 g / 189.7 g/mol

For magnesium:
0.1 kg = 100 g
Number of moles of Mg = 100 g / 24.3 g/mol

determine the limiting reactant. The balanced equation shows that the ratio of TiCl4 to Mg is 1:2. Therefore, we need to compare the moles of the reactants to see which one is limiting.

calculate the moles of titanium that can be formed based on the limiting reactant. The balanced equation shows that 1 mole of TiCl4 produces 1 mole of Ti.

convert the moles of titanium to mass using the molar mass of titanium, which is 47.9 g/mol.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Noble.x
calculate the number of moles for each reactant. The molar mass of TiCl4 is 189.7 g/mol, and the molar mass of Mg is 24.3 g/mol.

For titanium chloride:
0.5 kg = 500 g
Number of moles of TiCl4 = 500 g / 189.7 g/mol

For magnesium:
0.1 kg = 100 g
Number of moles of Mg = 100 g / 24.3 g/mol

determine the limiting reactant. The balanced equation shows that the ratio of TiCl4 to Mg is 1:2. Therefore, we need to compare the moles of the reactants to see which one is limiting.

calculate the moles of titanium that can be formed based on the limiting reactant. The balanced equation shows that 1 mole of TiCl4 produces 1 mole of Ti.

convert the moles of titanium to mass using the molar mass of titanium, which is 47.9 g/mol.

I multiplied 2.63 moles as the ratio of 1:1(TiCl2 : Ti) &also it’s the limiting reagent (not sure)
Hence, 2.63 multiply 47.9(Molar mass) =125.9mass (that’s what I got).
Reply 4
the number of moles of titanium formed will also be 2.64 mol.

2.64 mol x 47.87 g/mol = 126.53 g

Well done!!
Reply 5
Yes I think it’s also the LR
Reply 6
Original post by Noble.x
Yes I think it’s also the LR

I’m grateful. ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest