The Student Room Group

Mole calculation

Can you please help me to understand the answer for part h) i) of this question? I've attached the whole question below.

The number of moles of sulfuric acid in 250 cm3 of solution L is 0.0107 moles. I can't understand why the number of moles of sulfuric acid in solution K (original solution) is also 0.0107 moles. Since the original solution was diluted with water to make solution L, shouldn't the original solution have a higher number of moles?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
(Original post by S0303)Can you please help me to understand the answer for part h) i) of this question? I've attached the whole question below.

The number of moles of sulfuric acid in 250 cm3 of solution L is 0.0107 moles. I can't understand why the number of moles of sulfuric acid in solution K (original solution) is also 0.0107 moles. Since the original solution was diluted with water to make solution L, shouldn't the original solution have a higher number of moles?

****Um, I've just done the whole thing and the answer to question g is actually 1.07x10^-3 while the answer to question h is 0.0107 moles, you must have made a mistake while writing ur answer down. your thinking is correct just be mindful of the zeros.
Reply 2
Original post by dyve
(Original post by S0303)Can you please help me to understand the answer for part h) i) of this question? I've attached the whole question below.

****Um, I've just done the whole thing and the answer to question g is actually 1.07x10^-3 while the answer to question h is 0.0107 moles, you must have made a mistake while writing ur answer down. your thinking is correct just be mindful of the zeros.

Hi,
Yes, you're right. Answer for part g is 1.07 x 10^-3 moles.
I'm confused about part h) and i). I understand how the answer is 0.0107 for part h because it asks for the number of moles in 250 cm3.
What I don't understand is why 0.0107 is the answer for part (i) as well.
Reply 3
Original post by S0303
Can you please help me to understand the answer for part h) i) of this question? I've attached the whole question below.

Moles is just a measure of the number of particles.
If I have 0.0107 moles (aka 0.0107×6.02×10²³* particles) of H2SO4 in a beaker, and then pour in 250cm³ of water, that has no effect on the amount of H2SO4 particles that I have- it only changes the number of particles I have per unit volume.

If I had an absolute **** ton of water, I could in theory only have 1 H2SO4 particle per cm³ of water, but I would still have 1.07 ×6.02 ×10²³ particles overall.

*Number of particles = moles x avagadros constant

Quick Reply

Latest