The Student Room Group

Quantum entanglement

Does anyone have a good video explaining quantum entanglement for layman? One thing I don't understand is in an entangled state, any measure on one particle forces the collapse of the other instantaneously, but how is it that this "information" or "instruction" can be sent instantly? Faster than the speed of light?

How does the other particle know instantly what is happening to it's entangled pair? :s-smilie:
Original post by AishaGirl
Does anyone have a good video explaining quantum entanglement for layman? One thing I don't understand is in an entangled state, any measure on one particle forces the collapse of the other instantaneously, but how is it that this "information" or "instruction" can be sent instantly? Faster than the speed of light?

How does the other particle know instantly what is happening to it's entangled pair? :s-smilie:

No :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Implication
No :wink:

Spoiler

There does actually seem to be information that travels faster than the speed of light. I read that it can, it's only 'useful' information that can't. 'Useless' information such as spin state can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
There does actually seem to be information that travels faster than the speed of light. I read that it can, it's only 'useful' information that can't. 'Useless' information such as spin state can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting, can you link me a video? I've looked on Youtube but honestly they're all pretty bad, or I just struggle to understand it properly.
Reply 4
Original post by AishaGirl
Interesting, can you link me a video? I've looked on Youtube but honestly they're all pretty bad, or I just struggle to understand it properly.

You could try minutephysics. That's a good channel for explaining physics concepts in just a few minutes. I think he did one on quantum entanglement about 7 minutes long, but not sure. Other than that, yeah, they're all crap :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx

Posted from TSR Mobile

@AishaGirl - the above is probably true. I have a masters in mathematical physics but to be honest i hardly touched quantum entanglement at all. There's little doubt @Kyx has read more "layman" texts on physics so if that's what you're after go with what he says.

I'm just a bit of a misery guts and dislike popularisation of certain areas of physics generally - I feel the removal of the mathematics makes the descriptions so simplified as to be essentially meaningless. In many areas we do use maths just because it makes calculations possible, but in fundamental physics our theories and hypotheses and models are all defined in mathematical terms and it really is necessary to understand the mathematics to understand what they actually 'mean'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
@AishaGirl - the above is probably true. I have a masters in mathematical physics but to be honest i hardly touched quantum entanglement at all. There's little doubt @Kyx has read more "layman" texts on physics so if that's what you're after go with what he says.

I'm just a bit of a misery guts and dislike popularisation of certain areas of physics generally - I feel the removal of the mathematics makes the descriptions so simplified as to be essentially meaningless. In many areas we do use maths just because it makes calculations possible, but in fundamental physics our theories and hypotheses and models are all defined in mathematical terms and it really is necessary to understand the mathematics to understand what they actually 'mean'.

I completely agree ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply :smile: I found that when learning special relativity without the maths to back it up it didn't really mean much, it was difficult to understand how time, space and velocity are related.

However I certainly am not capable of learning the maths to understand quantum entanglement... Videos often do a much better job than a paper at explaining things in layman's terms though. I'll try the minute physics one Kyx suggested. I'd really like PBS Spacetime to do a video on quantum entanglement to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest