The Student Room Group

A level question about the 3s orbital

1s orbital makes up energy level 1 which can hold 2 electrons as we know

2s and 2p orbital makes up energy level 2 which can hold 8 electrons as we know

3s orbital….??

3p, 4s and 3d orbitals make up energy level 3 which can hold 18 electrons as we know

Hence, we have 2 electrons on the first energy level, 8 electrons on the second energy level, and 18 electrons on the third energy level, based on our knowledge about orbitals and how each orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons. Got it. But…how does the 3s orbital participate in this? It doesn’t seem to participate in anything. I’ll insert a picture to further demonstrate what I mean
Reply 1
Original post by Sha.xo527

3s orbital….??

3p, 4s and 3d orbitals make up energy level 3 which can hold 18 electrons as we know

Hence, we have 2 electrons on the first energy level, 8 electrons on the second energy level, and 18 electrons on the third energy level, based on our knowledge about orbitals and how each orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons. Got it. But…how does the 3s orbital participate in this? It doesn’t seem to participate in anything. I’ll insert a picture to further demonstrate what I mean

3s makes up the third energy level not 4s
Reply 2
Original post by Marzini
3s makes up the third energy level not 4s

Ahh got it. Thanks!

09E99170-BEEF-48F2-AE50-AE92C1CB4DD5.jpeg
Reply 3
Original post by Sha.xo527

3s orbital….??

The number in front refers to the major quantum number, n=. 3s, 3p and 3d are all n=3 and so the third energy level. The letter is the type of orbital it is, s, p, or d. 4s whilst it might be filled before 3d, is in the 4th energy level. The only reason it is filled before 3d is because the 3d orbital is quite high in energy
Reply 4
Original post by Ariichu
The number in front refers to the major quantum number,

the normal term is principal quantum number

major quantum number gets 2K results on google

principal quantum number gets 500K

Quick Reply

Latest