The Student Room Group

Physics edexcel ial unit 4/5 discussion (15 and 21 june 2017)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raisa Rahman
how many years did you solve? should i read the whole book or reading the revision guide will be enough?

are u doing unti 5 too?.. i think u can just skim through..
not many papers, i m afraid.. :/
Original post by zooshan
are u doing unti 5 too?.. i think u can just skim through..
not many papers, i m afraid.. :/

yeah even i m giving unit 5. i m giving bio chem phy nd c34 this tym. nd u?
yeah even i m giving unit 5. i m giving bio chem phy nd c34 this tym. nd u?

same ****.. and it feels like a suicide!
Original post by zooshan
same ****.. and it feels like a suicide!

yeah so true. bio nd maths on the same day. this has been the worst routine ever
yeah so true. bio nd maths on the same day. this has been the worst routine ever

i know.. but no choice.. will probably get lowes grades from thses units.. :/
Original post by shady zax
Wait @_@ I get it.
I GET IT I GET IT I GET IT
Senkyuuuuu
If the reaction force on the girl is small or close to zero, the resultant force is at a tiny angle to the vertical, effectively it points down and this causes the child TO SLIDE DOWN! Take that u smart girl!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

I change a word.
Original post by Gintama-kun
i kinda think using a resultant force which is at an angle would nt explain the reason fully coz it will be havin a downward component ....

I hope you read the last statement a few times of post #158 (or is just below).

This resultant force can cause the child to lose touch with the seat because the normal force will be much smaller than the weight or is close to zero.

The weight could be most likely to be the resultant force and there is no other force to prevent the child from slipping off her seat.

jzt check whether da one i wrote is fine fr part c)
when amplitude increases the total energy of system increases At the bottom tot energy =KE so as KE increases ....

I agree with this part.

Velocity increases causing upward centripetal force on girl to increase so at a point when centripetal force > than downward weight of gurl the girl will loose contact ....

I disagree (I will explain together with another point below that I disagree)

As at the lowest point the resultant vertical force will be upwards so this guarantees her loosin contact ryt?

I disagree.

t seems to me that you confused resultant force with real forces. Centripetal force is a resultant force of the normal force and weight of the child.

When you said “Velocity increases causing upward centripetal force on girl to increase so at a point when centripetal force > than downward weight of the girl will loose contact”, you are treating centripetal force as a real force which is incorrect.

Even if the centripetal force is greater than the weight of the child, the child would not lose contact at the bottom of the swing. This is because the normal force (which is the contact force) at the bottom of the swing will be much greater than the weight in order to have a resultant force (the centripetal force) that is greater than the weight.

Consider a high-powered lift accelerating upward and you are inside the lift. Even if the resultant force is greater than your weight, you will not be caused to lift off the floor of the lift.

“As at the lowest point the resultant vertical force will be upwards so this guarantees her loosin contact ryt?
You need to realize that the resultant vertical force at the bottom of the swing is to cause the child to change the direction of motion of the child such that she can move in a “circular” motion.
Original post by Eimmanuel
:smile:

I change a word.

😳 Why diju do that?! For half a minute there i thot i actually wrote smart 😳
Anyway.. U said the reaction is small but u dint explain why exactly it shud be small

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Guys do we hv a separate topic for chem or do we discuss here?
Original post by Roe1777
Guys do we hv a separate topic for chem or do we discuss here?

Lol ofcourse not:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4752270

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you read the last statement a few times of post #158 (or is just below).

This resultant force can cause the child to lose touch with the seat because the normal force will be much smaller than the weight or is close to zero.

The weight could be most likely to be the resultant force and there is no other force to prevent the child from slipping off her seat.

I agree with this part.

I disagree (I will explain together with another point below that I disagree)

I disagree.

t seems to me that you confused resultant force with real forces. Centripetal force is a resultant force of the normal force and weight of the child.

When you said “Velocity increases causing upward centripetal force on girl to increase so at a point when centripetal force > than downward weight of the girl will loose contact”, you are treating centripetal force as a real force which is incorrect.

Even if the centripetal force is greater than the weight of the child, the child would not lose contact at the bottom of the swing. This is because the normal force (which is the contact force) at the bottom of the swing will be much greater than the weight in order to have a resultant force (the centripetal force) that is greater than the weight.

Consider a high-powered lift accelerating upward and you are inside the lift. Even if the resultant force is greater than your weight, you will not be caused to lift off the floor of the lift.

“As at the lowest point the resultant vertical force will be upwards so this guarantees her loosin contact ryt?
You need to realize that the resultant vertical force at the bottom of the swing is to cause the child to change the direction of motion of the child such that she can move in a “circular” motion.
ohh looks like i have mixed **** up sryy
kinda tried to relate this question to a car goin over a bump which looses contact at a velocity bt still its da lowest point ryt where contact is lost?
😳 Why diju do that?! For half a minute there i thot i actually wrote smart 😳
Anyway.. U said the reaction is small but u dint explain why exactly it shud be small

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fact, I may have to correct the statement.

The way that normal force is computed is depending on the motion of the child. Say the bottom of the swing,

N=mg+mv2r N = mg + m\dfrac{v^2}{r}

When the swing is horizontal (at the max amplitude), the speed is zero and the weight is vertical, so the normal force is zero.

The way that normal force is computed is depending on the motion of the child. Say the bottom of the swing,

When the swing is horizontal (at the max amplitude), the speed is zero and the weight is vertical, so the normal force is zero.

Ummm what about wen the swing is at an angle to the vertical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ummm what about wen the swing is at an angle to the vertical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

N=mgcosθ+mv2r N = mg \cos \theta + m\dfrac{v^2}{r}

where θ is the angle measured from the swing to the vertical line.

so at amplitude can it loose contact with swing coz normal reaction is zero
N=mgcosθ+mv2r N = mg \cos \theta + m\dfrac{v^2}{r}

where θ is the angle measured from the swing to the vertical line.

Okay so.. thats making the reaction force vertical @_@

Dint u say its horizontal at max amplitude?

Posted from TSR Mobile
so at amplitude can it loose contact with swing coz normal reaction is zero

Yes
Okay so.. thats making the reaction force vertical @_@

Dint u say its horizontal at max amplitude?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what you are asking again. I am answering based what you request:

"Ummm what about wen the swing is at an angle to the vertical? "
Yes

oki so mw i dnt get wat the original question is askin coz v is always zero at amplitude so as reaction = centripetal(at amplitude) reaction is zero so dere ws sumthn abt increase in v in da question hw is dt related to dis

Quick Reply

Latest