The Student Room Group

What units do I need for Edexcel IAL or IAS Further Maths

I am in year 12 doing edexcel IAS Maths, CIE AS Physics and Chem at school, doing FPM edexcel with a private tutor. for maths i will be doing units P1,2,3,4 and S1 and M1 over 2 years, for further maths I will be doing at least FP1,2,3 how many other units would i have to do to get an IAS or an IAL qualification in further maths
Original post by ninjagamez
I am in year 12 doing edexcel IAS Maths, CIE AS Physics and Chem at school, doing FPM edexcel with a private tutor. for maths i will be doing units P1,2,3,4 and S1 and M1 over 2 years, for further maths I will be doing at least FP1,2,3 how many other units would i have to do to get an IAS or an IAL qualification in further maths

If you're enquiring about A Level Further Maths, I don't see the relevance of mentioning physics or chemistry.

You would need to check the specification for it to be sure. See the following:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2018/Specification-and-Sample-Assessment/International-A-Level-Maths-Spec-Issue3.pdf

If you scroll down to pages 13-15, you would notice that each unit comprises of 33% for IAS and 16% for IAL. In other words, you need 3 units to complete IAS and 6 for IAL.

Scroll down to page 16. In IAS, FP1 is mandatory, then you can pick 2 from the choices of FP2, FP3, M1, M2, M3, S1, S2, S3, D1
In IAL, FP1 is mandatory, then pick either FP2 or FP3, then you can pick 4 subjects from: FP2, FP3, M1, M2, M3, S1, S2, S3, D1

To answer your question, if you want to stop at IAS then your current choices of FP1, 2, and 3 would be enough (although technically this would make it seem more like an IAS in pure maths).
If you want to do the full IAL, then you would need to pick 3 more from M1, M2, M3, S1, S2, S3, D1. As you're already doing S1 and M1 for Maths, you have to choose from M2, M3, S2, S3, D1.

I personally don't like D1, so you're pretty safe with any of the mechanics and statistics modules. They are also more relevant if you intend to do something in physics, chemistry, or engineering. D1 is more useful for computer science and generally any subject that involves schematics or logic.
Reply 2
Original post by ninjagamez
To get an IAS qualification, you should be fine with just FP1,2,3, but to get an IAL qualification, you need three more modules. You can pick any from M1,2,3, D1, S1,2,3. I'd reccomend looking here : IAL Maths Guide_June19_web.pdf (pearson.com) for more information

Quick Reply

Latest