Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone care to explain this question

I understand the decay equations but not the whole concept behind the question.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)

Talk about what is emitted in both decays and talk about the proton/nucleon numbers? Maybe about the speed of an alpha particle relative to an electron?

ReputationRep:
    Beta decay is emission of either a beta minus particle or beta plus alongside a neutrino or antineutrino, while alpha decay only emits alpha particle
    Alpha decay forms new element with two fewer protons and two fewer neutrons; Beta decay forms new element with one more proton and one fewer neutron.

I cant think of what could get you a third mark

And in my opinion the point of the question is just to point out the differences between the 2 decays

ReputationRep:

In alpha= Nucleon number decreases by 4, proton number decreases by 2, alpha decay occurs in heavy nuclei and perhaps you could say alpha radiation is more ionising

In beta= Nucleon number doesnt change, proton number increases by 1, occurs in neutron rich nuclei and is less ionising. Beta also emits an anti electron neutrino unlike alpha decay

I think these are the 3 comparisons it wants, have you got AQA paper 2 tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KNNY)
    Talk about what is emitted in both decays and talk about the proton/nucleon numbers? Maybe about the speed of an alpha particle relative to an electron?
    Alpha slower then electron?

ReputationRep:
    Correct
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KNNY)
    Correct
    I doubt it. There is a distribution of kinetic energies for the beta particles in the beta decay. There is a chance whereby the beta particle is moving slower than the alpha particle.

You may want to say that there is a distribution of kinetic energies of the beta particles but the observed kinetic energy for alpha particles are discrete, having only a few values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    I doubt it. There is a distribution of kinetic energies for the beta particles in the beta decay. There is a chance whereby the beta particle is moving slower than the alpha particle.

You may want to say that there is a distribution of kinetic energies of the beta particles but the observed kinetic energy for alpha particles are discrete, having only a few values.
    Oh my bad then, sorry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2017

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.