The Student Room Group

Alpha decay vs beta decay

Anyone care to explain this question

I understand the decay equations but not the whole concept behind the question.
Reply 1
Original post by Super199

Talk about what is emitted in both decays and talk about the proton/nucleon numbers? Maybe about the speed of an alpha particle relative to an electron?
Reply 2
Beta decay is emission of either a beta minus particle or beta plus alongside a neutrino or antineutrino, while alpha decay only emits alpha particle
Alpha decay forms new element with two fewer protons and two fewer neutrons; Beta decay forms new element with one more proton and one fewer neutron.

I cant think of what could get you a third mark

And in my opinion the point of the question is just to point out the differences between the 2 decays
(edited 6 years ago)

In alpha= Nucleon number decreases by 4, proton number decreases by 2, alpha decay occurs in heavy nuclei and perhaps you could say alpha radiation is more ionising

In beta= Nucleon number doesnt change, proton number increases by 1, occurs in neutron rich nuclei and is less ionising. Beta also emits an anti electron neutrino unlike alpha decay

I think these are the 3 comparisons it wants, have you got AQA paper 2 tomorrow?
Reply 4
Original post by KNNY
Talk about what is emitted in both decays and talk about the proton/nucleon numbers? Maybe about the speed of an alpha particle relative to an electron?

Alpha slower then electron?
Reply 5

Correct

Original post by KNNY
Correct

I doubt it. There is a distribution of kinetic energies for the beta particles in the beta decay. There is a chance whereby the beta particle is moving slower than the alpha particle.

You may want to say that there is a distribution of kinetic energies of the beta particles but the observed kinetic energy for alpha particles are discrete, having only a few values.
Reply 7
Original post by Eimmanuel
I doubt it. There is a distribution of kinetic energies for the beta particles in the beta decay. There is a chance whereby the beta particle is moving slower than the alpha particle.

You may want to say that there is a distribution of kinetic energies of the beta particles but the observed kinetic energy for alpha particles are discrete, having only a few values.

Oh my bad then, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest