The Student Room Group

Cost of living in Oxford

Hi,

I am a new international student (MSc) coming to Oxford this September. I have read on the website a breakdown of the cost of living, but i understand that real experience can give a deeper insight into things than such official stuff. Would anyone who had an Ox experience give us some ideas about his life there?
It really depends on which college you're with (and whether you're living/eating there) and what lifestyle you lead (drink much? Eat out?).
Overall, I would suggest that the estimated figures on the Uni website are on the pessimistic side - if you are budget conscious, achieving the lower figure of £1000 per month should not be difficult.

It should be fairly straightforward to work out your accommodation costs - if you are in college, the rates are on their respective websites. If you are living in private rented accommodation, a quick search on a site like spareroom.co.uk should give you an idea.

Food-wise, colleges also give their prices on their websites. The cheapest option will obviously be to self cater and make all your own meals at home. In which case, you would not be paying much more than anywhere else in the UK - there are plenty of the big supermarket chains in Oxford.

The least predictable element is the "lifestyle" bits. For example, going to a coffee shop for a coffee and a cake will cost you £5 without thinking. Likewise, a single drink in a pub can easily cost that. Do that every day and your £1000 a month already looks hopelessly optimistic...
Original post by OxFossil
Overall, I would suggest that the estimated figures on the Uni website are on the pessimistic side - if you are budget conscious, achieving the lower figure of £1000 per month should not be difficult.

It should be fairly straightforward to work out your accommodation costs - if you are in college, the rates are on their respective websites. If you are living in private rented accommodation, a quick search on a site like spareroom.co.uk should give you an idea.

Food-wise, colleges also give their prices on their websites. The cheapest option will obviously be to self cater and make all your own meals at home. In which case, you would not be paying much more than anywhere else in the UK - there are plenty of the big supermarket chains in Oxford.

The least predictable element is the "lifestyle" bits. For example, going to a coffee shop for a coffee and a cake will cost you £5 without thinking. Likewise, a single drink in a pub can easily cost that. Do that every day and your £1000 a month already looks hopelessly optimistic...

@Rohiem ^THIS, basically. Your fixed costs, like accommodation, course-related costs etc can be accurately estimated. But your lifestyle, and what you consider frugal as opposed to extravagant is the biggest determinant in how much you will spend.
For UK students i always rubbish those figures as ridiculous overestimates.

I am a little more cautious for someone who is new to the UK and might make bad decisions, especially if they are paying international fees (and used to a lifestyle that enables them to afford international fees...). But if you actually are sensible you can spend far, far less than the figures on the website yes. Or if you are stupid you can spend more. It is down to you.
Reply 5
Original post by Little Toy Gun
It really depends on which college you're with (and whether you're living/eating there) and what lifestyle you lead (drink much? Eat out?).

I am going to St Antony`s College (MSc in Politics)

Original post by OxFossil

Great. That was really insightful! :smile:

Original post by Reality Check
@Rohiem ^THIS, basically. Your fixed costs, like accommodation, course-related costs etc can be accurately estimated. But your lifestyle, and what you consider frugal as opposed to extravagant is the biggest determinant in how much you will spend.

I see. Thanks:smile:

Original post by nexttime
For UK students i always rubbish those figures as ridiculous overestimates.

I am a little more cautious for someone who is new to the UK and might make bad decisions, especially if they are paying international fees (and used to a lifestyle that enables them to afford international fees...). But if you actually are sensible you can spend far, far less than the figures on the website yes. Or if you are stupid you can spend more. It is down to you.

I should be sensible then :u::u:
Original post by Rohiem
I am going to St Antony`s College (MSc in Politics)

Great. That was really insightful! :smile:

I see. Thanks:smile:

I should be sensible then :u::u:

You need to check with the college regarding the rent. I heard St Antony's quite costly.
Reply 7
Original post by Little Toy Gun
You need to check with the college regarding the rent. I heard St Antony's quite costly.

ٍSt Antony`s accommodation ranges from 670 GBP per month for en-suit and 424 GBP per month for grade D, with many options in between.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending