The Student Room Group

Cost of going to university in London

I have an offer to study at UCL but I'm worried about the cost of studying in London.
It's possible for me to commute but I would much prefer living in the uni accommodation at least for the first year, but it seems really expensive and I'm worried about the overall costs.

If anyone could tell me about their experience going to a london university and paying for accomodation/transport etc or how they found commuting I would be very grateful.

I love the course but do not want to have to pick a different uni due to it being too expensive :/
I'm commuting and it's still expensive :/ also exhausting...I spend more time commuting than I do on campus most weeks :frown: Honestly if it wasn't basically the one place I could study what I'm doing (part time, at least), I would probably prefer to go to another uni personally. But equally I don't care about going into investment banking or something and the area I'm studying is niche enough that anywhere that offers it is pretty reputable for the subject area. But unfortunately the alternatives are basically Oxford and Cambridge ( /SOAS but I was already there and took all the relevant modules to my interest bar one...).

Of course this isn't to say there's no reason not to consider it. Also my situation is a bit different being a part-time student with only part-time funding.

If you're entitled to a full, full-time maintenance loan, you can probably get by ok in London (particularly with the bursary UCL offers +/- part-time job). If you're only eligible for the minimum (or near minimum) maintenance loan you'd need to have a very frank conversation with your parents about what that means (i.e. that the reason you would only get that much is that the government would expect the student's family to "make up the difference" between the amount of maintenance loan they are paid vs the maximum available).

Depending on your subject area though there may be paths of less resistance to the same outcome however.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have an offer to study at UCL but I'm worried about the cost of studying in London.
It's possible for me to commute but I would much prefer living in the uni accommodation at least for the first year, but it seems really expensive and I'm worried about the overall costs.

If anyone could tell me about their experience going to a london university and paying for accomodation/transport etc or how they found commuting I would be very grateful.

I love the course but do not want to have to pick a different uni due to it being too expensive :/

Hi Congratulations on your offer! The cost of studying in London in expensive but there's lots of options available. For example, you could apply for a Maintenance and Student Loan, apply for bursaries and financial support from UCL and get a part time job as part of your studies. In terms of transport, if you end up living in student accommodation, everything is very close so it's easy to walk around London and not spend too much on public transport. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending