The Student Room Group

What should my 5 options be?

I’m studying Maths, Physics and CTEC IT, and I’m predicted A*A*Distinction*. I want to study physics and I’m thinking of applying to Oxford, Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, York and Lancaster. I’ve been to all the open days and like all of them. What would be my best 5 options? Are there any other universities I should consider?
Unfortunately, an application to Oxford with only 2 A-Levels and a CTEC may make your application less competitive, especially without Further Maths. Are you sure it's not too late to self-teach Further Maths (or add it if you are in Year 12)
Reply 2
Original post by mattjh-
I’m studying Maths, Physics and CTEC IT, and I’m predicted A*A*Distinction*. I want to study physics and I’m thinking of applying to Oxford, Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, York and Lancaster. I’ve been to all the open days and like all of them. What would be my best 5 options? Are there any other universities I should consider?

The best way to pick your universities, have two ideal universities, two realistic universities and one back-up. I think it's also about picking what sort of city you'd like to live in.
Original post by mattjh-

For Oxford, you will need to take the Physics Assessment Test (PAT). The deadline for doing so was yesterday. Have you registered for this?
Reply 4
Honestly - you are aiming too high by including Oxford, you don't have a prayer without 3 A levels.
Original post by mattjh-

I go to Lancaster and am really enjoying it. In addition, since their grade requirements are AADistinction, if you got an offer there you could still be able to get in even if you missed your predicted grades.

-Kao
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
I go to Lancaster and am really enjoying it. In addition, since their grade requirements are AADistinction, if you got an offer there you could still be able to get in even if you missed your predicted grades.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

One of the big things putting me off Lancaster was that the city seemed quite empty. Has this been an issue for you?
Original post by mattjh-
One of the big things putting me off Lancaster was that the city seemed quite empty. Has this been an issue for you?

Although it is a smaller city than many, and has what you would expect from a small city, it is quite a nice city for walking around. The campus itself also has lots of things to do on it. In addition, you could take day trips to other places on days when you don't have any academic things or societies to attend (although you miss out on seeing the other students). For example, Manchester is an hour away from the railway station, and the day return costs £13.55 if you have a railcard.

-Kao
Original post by mattjh-

Hi @mattjh-,
I'm just going into my 3rd year at Lancaster studying Geography. Similar to what Kao has said, Lancaster is a relatively small city, but I always seem to find that there's lots going on. There's a good range of shops, cafes and pubs/clubs including a club called the Sugarhouse which is run by the students union in town. There's also lots of events that happen throughout the year in town like the Music festival in local pubs in October, lots of Christmas events throughout December and lots of events through summer. Personally I really like how close Lancaster is to the Lake district as its only 40 minutes on the train and its close the the coast at Morecambe. In terms of the uni itself, as we have a collegiate system it means that there's always lots of events and activities happening on campus as well.
If you've got any more questions feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student ambassador)
Reply 9
hi! I applied to Sheffield, Lancaster and York and ended up going to Liverpool and I cant speak highly enough about Liverpool. while I cant talk about Oxford, your other 4 choices are really great and they are all great unis with a good physics/stem dept :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Hiya Matt!

I know lots of us Lancaster Ambassadors have answered already but I've been in the physics department here for 4 years (integrated masters) and am now in my 1st year of PhD. As a research intensive university, there are lots of Physics PhD opportunities here and I've found the department a really friendly and nice place to be. There's also a paid summer internship programme and an open door policy.

Lancaster itself is a lovely place to live, with lots going on in town (when you know where to go), a good housing market (there's actually lots of good, reasonably priced student accommodation) and an awesome location (near the lakes, dales, Manchester etc). The campus is also really pretty.

Doing physics at Lancaster is definitely something I would recommend, there's a reason the department consistently ranks highly in the university league tables. The different groups (particle, astro, quantum, low temp etc.) are doing some really cutting edge research and there's a really cool atmosphere because of it.

Ella (1st year physics PhD) :smile:
Original post by mattjh-

Hi there,

Great to hear that you are applying for the University of Liverpool, great choice!

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the city or the University.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

Choosing a university can be hard as there are so many factors to consider. Have you checked the requirements for the course at each university? It's great you have visited to have a look at their facilities and they meet what you need, I would recommend having a look even further into what else each university offer such as societies, accommodations, projects etc.

Have a look into where you will have to be living too. You're not just studying but you'll be moving to a new city so it's a good idea to have a look around and see if you can talk to anyone living there. Is there a big night life? Are there good access to shops, restaurants, transport links etc? What is the cost of living in the area?

It's good to have a reserved option which may have lower entry requirements than the others. It can act as a safety net should things not go quite as much to plan.

Good luck with your decision,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending