The Student Room Group

Surds help

Show positive square root of (7+4sq rt3)is (sq rt3+2)
image.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by Laboromniavincit
Show positive square root of (7+4sq rt3)is (sq rt3+2)

Firstly, by saying 'positive square root' it may seem as if 49=±7 \sqrt49 = \pm7 but it's important to understand that x2x,x>0 \sqrt{x^2} \equiv x, x > 0. But for any value of x,x2xx, \sqrt{x^2} \equiv |x| . This function returns always positive values.

So saying positive square root is the same thing as saying square root because square roots are always positive .

If you want to prove the above, try working from the left, squaring both sides and see what you get.
(edited 6 years ago)
"This can be written as 4+3+ (2*2*√3)
Then this becomes the square of 2+√3.Here we have used (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 "Haven't learned this yet but this is what I've come up with from Googling lol :biggrin:
Original post by Desmos
Firstly, by saying 'positive square root' it may seem as if 49=±7 \sqrt49 = \pm7 but it's important to understand that x2x \sqrt{x^2} \equiv x . So saying positive square root is the same thing as saying square root because square roots are always positive .

If you want to prove the above, try working from the left, squaring both sides and see what you get.

Done solved understood 😀
Thanks for your input
Original post by Batgirl98
Then this becomes the square of 2+√3.Here we have used (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 "Haven't learned this yet but this is what I've come up with from Googling lol :biggrin:

Got it
Was thinking only about left hand expression
Thanks
Original post by Desmos
...but it's important to understand that x2x \sqrt{x^2} \equiv x ....

Not quite the case. Take x=7x=-7 then x2=(7)2=7x=7\sqrt{x^2} = \sqrt{(-7)^2}=7 \neq x =-7

In fact, x2x\sqrt{x^2} \equiv |x| which is a positive quantity for any xx
Original post by Batgirl98

Almost correct approach, though not in the correct order and relies on inspection more than direct proof.

Since we want the square root of 7+437+4\sqrt{3} we can say that this can be represented in the form (a+b3)2(a+b\sqrt{3})^2 where a+b3>0a+b\sqrt{3} > 0 thus we have 7+43=a2+3b2+2ab37+4\sqrt{3}=a^2+3b^2+2ab\sqrt{3}

Then we compare the rationals with rationals, and irrationals with irrationals from both sides to get 7=a2+3b27=a^2+3b^2 and 4=2ab4=2ab and proceed to solve simultaneously for a,ba,b
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Desmos
Firstly, by saying 'positive square root' it may seem as if 49=±7 \sqrt49 = \pm7 but it's important to understand that x2x \sqrt{x^2} \equiv x . So saying positive square root is the same thing as saying square root because square roots are always positive .

This isn't right.

A square root of aa is any number xx with x2=ax^2=a. So both 4 and -4 are square roots of 16 since 42=164^2=16 and (4)2=16(-4)^2=16.

You see that we can have both positive and negative square roots (and more generally complex square roots). However, the symbol a\sqrt{a} refers only to the positive square root i.e. 16=4>0\sqrt{16}=4 >0
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
Not quite the case. Take x=7x=-7 then x2=(7)2=7x=7\sqrt{x^2} = \sqrt{(-7)^2}=7 \neq x =-7

In fact, x2x\sqrt{x^2} \equiv |x| which is a positive quantity for any xx

Changed to x2x,x>0 \sqrt{x^2} \equiv x, x > 0 . I assume this is mathematically correct?
Original post by Desmos
Changed to x2x,x>0 \sqrt{x^2} \equiv x, x > 0 . I assume this is mathematically correct?

Yes.

x|x| can be defined as:

xx if x0x \geq 0
x-x if x<0x <0

You just stated the first condition pretty much.
Reply 11
Original post by RDKGames
Yes.

x|x| can be defined as:

xx if x0x \geq 0
x-x if x<0x <0

You just stated the first condition pretty much.

Don't worry, I'm very familiar with the modulus function. But thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest