The Student Room Group

Can I study maths without a level maths?

I want to study maths at uni
And be a maths teacher but I'm really bad at maths
As in, I'm very slow naturally although I have a 7 in maths. I feel like kids will not have trust in me and think I'm too incompetent when they have better mental maths than me
But I really enjoyed GCSE maths which is such a nerdy thing to say lol
I wanted to take it further but I was afraid of failing
I can do maths with a foundation year but can you recommend some good unis for me to study it?
Reply 1
i dont think so
The other option would be the OU, which does not require A levels. However, the learning curve is very steep because they need to get you caught up and up to speed. If you find that you struggle with maths, you would almost certainly need to take far longer to complete the degree, so as to give yourself time to fully grasp the material. Either way, you would need to be very self-disciplined and willing to put in a lot of hard work.

As a mathematician myself, I am biased, but I can say that I have always found my maths studies highly rewarding, even when I was tired, fed-up and/or stuck. The best reason to study maths is because you love it and can't get enough of it. That is what keeps you motivated.
Reply 3
Original post by Ðeggs
No, you should have maths and further maths if you want to study maths at university, as you need to do the STEP or MAT entrance exams. Maths is a subject you need to be working above your current level of study if you want to study it at university. For example doing the FSMQ maths in year 11, studying maths and further maths, entering into maths olympiads and competitions, and so on.

Wrong - you can do a Maths degree without FMaths. Most unis also don't require STEP or MAT.

You don't need Olympiads either - stop making up nonsense.
Reply 4
Original post by shhyesimhuda
I want to study maths at uni
And be a maths teacher but I'm really bad at maths
As in, I'm very slow naturally although I have a 7 in maths. I feel like kids will not have trust in me and think I'm too incompetent when they have better mental maths than me
But I really enjoyed GCSE maths which is such a nerdy thing to say lol
I wanted to take it further but I was afraid of failing
I can do maths with a foundation year but can you recommend some good unis for me to study it?

Please ignore some of these posts.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/foundation/mathematics/

Which A levels are you doing?
Reply 5
Also worth looking at subjects like Accounting, Finance, Banking etc - some will want Maths but not all.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Please ignore some of these posts.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/foundation/mathematics/

Which A levels are you doing?

I did bio chemistry dropped maths in year12 and did psychology
My teacher had his eyes on me from the start because people has knowledge still remembered from gcses like surds and I didn't
For me maths is like a language and I want to get better at it
There are so many impressive things I can do with maths that people who are more intelligent than me can't do kind of like how sometime English learners have a better dissected understanding of English grammar but it isn't natural for them
Reply 7
Original post by shhyesimhuda
I did bio chemistry dropped maths in year12 and did psychology
My teacher had his eyes on me from the start because people has knowledge still remembered from gcses like surds and I didn't
For me maths is like a language and I want to get better at it
There are so many impressive things I can do with maths that people who are more intelligent than me can't do kind of like how sometime English learners have a better dissected understanding of English grammar but it isn't natural for them

Your posts are rather inconsistent / concerning tbh. You say that you want to study maths at uni and yet you're "bad at maths" and you've dropped it at A level, having only achieved a 7 at GCSE which is probably about borderline for admission on to an A level course. You also can't remember basics like surds, and yet you can apparently do "impressive things" with maths that other people can't. This really doesn't make a lot of sense.

At the end of the day, Maths is a "foundational subject" i.e. it builds on previous knowledge and skills. If you struggle to remember basic GCSE concepts like surds then it's no surprise that A level is a struggle, and it's difficult to see how you would succeed in a maths degree to be brutally honest.

Why exactly do you want to be a maths teacher, and what level do you anticipate teaching?

Quick Reply

Latest