The Student Room Group

Is your chance of getting in really not effected by your college choice?

Hi,
I am applying to oxford physics for 2018 entry. I love look of Christ Church college and want to apply to Christ Church. However when I looked at the application statistics for physics I noticed that the percentage of students who apply getting a place at the college, and the percentage of students who apply to Christ Church who get admitted to Oxford is significantly lower than some of the other colleges( 9% college 13% uni at Christ vs 19 % college ,23% uni at Worchester). Since this is a 3 year average it gave me the impression that it is significantly harder to get into Christ Church, especially because the number of people who end up at the university is so low. Is this really the case or is it just an anomaly?
Original post by Tomyil12345
Hi,
I am applying to oxford physics for 2018 entry. I love look of Christ Church college and want to apply to Christ Church. However when I looked at the application statistics for physics I noticed that the percentage of students who apply getting a place at the college, and the percentage of students who apply to Christ Church who get admitted to Oxford is significantly lower than some of the other colleges( 9% college 13% uni at Christ vs 19 % college ,23% uni at Worchester). Since this is a 3 year average it gave me the impression that it is significantly harder to get into Christ Church, especially because the number of people who end up at the university is so low. Is this really the case or is it just an anomaly?

Oxford have a system by which you might have interviews by more than one college, either for a 2nd opinion of a candidate or to redistribute applicants from oversubscribed colleges. This should help reduce the effect of college choice on your chance of acceptance.

Also, these statistics aren't private. Plenty of applicants see these percentages and think the exact same thing that you do, so apply to previously under subscribed colleges.

You might as well apply to the college that you think suits you best.

Quick Reply

Latest