The Student Room Group

Picking Cambridge college help

I am going to apply for architecture and I think my predicted grades will be A*AA (got A*AB in end of years but I think they will predict the B up to an A)
So I meet the entry requirements but my grades aren't impressive, so I would be staying clear of the top colleges. I know this might sound silly but I know for sure I want to apply to a college with a beautiful building. I know that isn't objectively important it's just always been my dream
How should I go about picking? I feel so lost and don't know where to start
Reply 1
Original post by mymelo
I am going to apply for architecture and I think my predicted grades will be A*AA (got A*AB in end of years but I think they will predict the B up to an A)
So I meet the entry requirements but my grades aren't impressive, so I would be staying clear of the top colleges. I know this might sound silly but I know for sure I want to apply to a college with a beautiful building. I know that isn't objectively important it's just always been my dream

Think about what matters the most to you (how the building looks, how close the accommodation is to the architecture department, if its all girls or mature students only etc) to narrow it down and then just pick your favorite from there. I also wouldn't worry about avoiding the top colleges if you really want to go there, it shouldn't decrease your chances of getting into Cambridge but it might increase your chance of getting pooled into a college that wasn't one of your first choices.

So basically if you really want to avoid going to Girton because it's too far away, maybe pick a less popular college than kings (but still one that you like, and also bare in mind that it might not even make a very big difference to you getting pooled and you could end up at Girton anyway), but if you really like the idea of going to kings and don't mind if you might end up at Girton too much then you have nothing to lose by picking Kings if that makes sense
Reply 2
Original post by mymelo

I'd agree with the poster above - basically look at other factors such as proximity to your department / lectures; size of college (in terms of fellow students on your course you can talk to); whether you want to be near the river, specific shops etc. Except for a few "remote" colleges everything is pretty much concentrated on the centre of Cambridge anyway. And the general opinion when I was there was that they all had "beautiful buildings" - except *ahem* Robinson (no disrespect to any current or past Robinson students :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by davros
I'd agree with the poster above - basically look at other factors such as proximity to your department / lectures; size of college (in terms of fellow students on your course you can talk to); whether you want to be near the river, specific shops etc. Except for a few "remote" colleges everything is pretty much concentrated on the centre of Cambridge anyway. And the general opinion when I was there was that they all had "beautiful buildings" - except *ahem* Robinson (no disrespect to any current or past Robinson students :smile:

Wow...you are a Cambridge University graduate? :biggrin: lol I wonder what you studied and at which College? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by mymelo

Take a look at: "CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY ALTERNATIVE PROSPECTUS" :smile:

https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

My friend applied for Economics and got accepted into St. Catherine's College, Cambridge University. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
Wow...you are a Cambridge University graduate? :biggrin: lol I wonder what you studied and at which College? :s-smilie:

I read Maths - hence you'll usually find me lurking, and helping a bit, in the Maths forum here :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
Take a look at: "CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY ALTERNATIVE PROSPECTUS" :smile:

https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

My friend applied for Economics and got accepted into St. Catherine's College, Cambridge University. :wink:

Do you mean St Catharine's Cambridge or St Catherine's Oxford? Note the spelling difference :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by davros
I read Maths - hence you'll usually find me lurking, and helping a bit, in the Maths forum here :smile:

Do you mean St Catharine's Cambridge or St Catherine's Oxford? Note the spelling difference :smile:

Wow...I never thought they had different spellings?! :biggrin: lol I obviously meant St. Catharine's College, Cambridge University!!! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending