The Student Room Group

Oxford Biochemistry

How much of a disadvantage is not having A-level maths for Oxford Biochem (I do biology, chemistry, and geography A-levels and my predicted grades are A*A*A*)?
When I was at an Oxford open day someone asked this: apparently it vaguely halves your chances as opposed to doing it (I’m also in the same boat as you), but it’s genuinely not a requirement, plenty of people get in without maths so it’s still absolutely worth a shot.
I’d say go for it and we can both hope for the best together!
--
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
I've heard some similar things as well but from reading freedom of information requests and other things online (this particular one says that only 11 applicants without A-level maths received biochem offers, https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/biochemistry_admissions_without) I'm a bit worried :/ but I'll probably end up applying anyway since it's worth a shot I guess haha. Btw which college are you applying to? I'm going for Somerville.
Original post by Anonymous
I've heard some similar things as well but from reading freedom of information requests and other things online (this particular one says that only 11 applicants without A-level maths received biochem offers, https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/biochemistry_admissions_without) I'm a bit worried :/ but I'll probably end up applying anyway since it's worth a shot I guess haha. Btw which college are you applying to? I'm going for Somerville.

New College!
I think we’ve been down the same paths of worry and research (have realised that I made the FOI request you cite)- I’m telling myself now that I know I have a lower chance but that’s ok because it’s still a chance, anyway 11 isn’t that bad since only 115 or so in total get them and probably the vast majority of applicants have a level maths anyway.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by squiddy135
New College!
I think we’ve been down the same paths of worry and research (have realised that I made the FOI request you cite)- I’m telling myself now that I know I have a lower chance but that’s ok because it’s still a chance, anyway 11 isn’t that bad since only 115 or so in total get them and probably the vast majority of applicants have a level maths anyway.

Yeah I suppose so, given the number of people applying with A-level maths it's unsurprising that most of the people that get offers will also be those with A-level maths.

Good choice of college as well, I remember visiting New College at one point and it seemed like a very nice place :smile: Was there anything that made you choose New College for biochemistry in particular? I'm still agonising over my college choice to be honest.
Reply 6
New College!

And good luck with the application of course - who knows, maybe we'll see each other in Oxford around this time next year 😅
Yeah I suppose so, given the number of people applying with A-level maths it's unsurprising that most of the people that get offers will also be those with A-level maths.

Good choice of college as well, I remember visiting New College at one point and it seemed like a very nice place :smile: Was there anything that made you choose New College for biochemistry in particular? I'm still agonising over my college choice to be honest.

I picked New College because it’s large, really pretty and has good accommodation. I was seriously debating the Brasenose but my friend who’s also applying picked there so I couldn’t which made the choice very easy.
Best of luck with the application!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
I picked New College because it’s large, really pretty and has good accommodation. I was seriously debating the Brasenose but my friend who’s also applying picked there so I couldn’t which made the choice very easy.
Best of luck with the application!

Brasenose also seems like quite a nice college (though I haven't actually visited) but I guess you can't beat the Harry Potter cloisters at New College haha. Best of luck to you again then, hope everything goes well 🤞.
Brasenose also seems like quite a nice college (though I haven't actually visited) but I guess you can't beat the Harry Potter cloisters at New College haha. Best of luck to you again then, hope everything goes well 🤞.

And best of luck to you too, fingers crossed 🤞🏻!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending