The Student Room Group

What Maths topics should I focus on for GCSE Non-Calculator?

Hi :smile: I'm an A level 1st year student and i'm resitting my GCSE Maths (Non-Calculator) on the 2nd of November, along with Calculator Papers on the 6th and the 8th.

I got a 5 in Maths Higher at GCSE's but a university course i'm looking at requires a 6, so i've decided to resit.

I'm quite busy this week studying my A levels (Biology and Computing end of topic exams this week also) so i'd like to be as efficient as possible and only learn non-calculator topics for the 2nd, and begin the rest after. My exam board is Edexcel Pearson.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by billcs
Hi :smile: I'm an A level 1st year student and i'm resitting my GCSE Maths (Non-Calculator) on the 2nd of November, along with Calculator Papers on the 6th and the 8th.

I got a 5 in Maths Higher at GCSE's but a university course i'm looking at requires a 6, so i've decided to resit.

I'm quite busy this week studying my A levels (Biology and Computing end of topic exams this week also) so i'd like to be as efficient as possible and only learn non-calculator topics for the 2nd, and begin the rest after. My exam board is Edexcel Pearson.

Thank you!

Have a chat with your teacher about it and what topics will appear
Original post by billcs

Thank you!

The vast majority of topics can be on any paper. For example even circle areas, cyclinders, spheres, cones and similiar problems can ask for answers as a multiple of pi.

Surds tend to be non calculator as a scientific calculator can do all of the work and give you an exact surd solution.

Most trigonometry (especially advanced topics such as sine rule, cosine rule and area of a triangle) and pythagoras tends to be calculator BUT either could be on non calculator. You are required to know exact trig values for 30, 45 and 60 degrees and could face pythagoras either with exact integer values (e.g. 3,4,5) or in algebra.

Numerical methods and the quadratic formula will be on calculator.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Anything could come up
Focus on as much as you can but look at your topics and rule out the ones that can only be completed with a calculator and focus on the rest
Maybe stuff like turning a recurring decimals into fractions, nth term including the quadratic ones, probability, enlargement rotation etc, drawing them loci diagram things or bearings with that compass thingy lol, standard form, ratios, the list is endless

Quick Reply

Latest