The Student Room Group

Exeter vs York vs Newcastle for Investment Banking

I would pick Exeter

Exeter vs York vs Newcastle for Investment Banking

I would pick Exeter
Original post by Forrest4000
Hey guys, I was wondering which of these three universities has a better reputation amongst Investment Banks.

Exeter vs York vs Newcastle ?

I can see they are ranked pretty close to each other and considered lower "Semi-Targets" :closedeyes:

I plan on studying Economics, Finance or Mathematics. Which degree is better suited? Maybe a combination?

And what university would give me better chances of getting in a top Masters program at a University such as LSE.

Untimately the goal is to work at a Hedge Fund and start my own limited private Partnership. But that's another story!

Thanks in advance!

Exeter. Tbh, I thought it was a low semi-target as well but nah, we get a solid amount of attention from banks. Certainly enough that it shouldn't be a worry point.

But then again, I'm biased and this uni is just sick in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neither

Go to a solid semi like Notts, UCL, Durham et al.
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Exeter. Tbh, I thought it was a low semi-target as well but nah, we get a solid amount of attention from banks. Certainly enough that it shouldn't be a worry point.

But then again, I'm biased and this uni is just sick in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi im applying for Exeter however im worried its a bit posh, what's it like there?
Exeter. But go Bristol/Nottingham if you can.
Hi Forrest,

Decisions, decisions! I thought it would be best to ask our DPD for BSc Economics and Finance what he thought might be your best course of action. Here’s what he has advised:

‘This is quite a difficult question, as it is hard to compare degrees and institutions which is why it’s always worthwhile to come along to open days to get a feel for the city and more of an insight into what various courses offer. Personal preference will play a key role here where you think you’ll feel happiest you’ll probably do best.

In terms of the economics component you’ll develop critical analysis, quantitative and written skills, while the finance side develops your insight into the key finance areas of management and financial accounting. Both areas economics and finance have a range of optional modules to pick from, and Newcastle offers quite a wide variety of these modules. So again, this might be something which can help your choice that perhaps we run a module at later stages which is in a specific area attuned to your interests.

Employment prospects are excellent for our degrees and we have graduates going to the government and private sector the latter including large banks and financial institutions. Other students go on to further study again, I don’t think they are limited in their choices of graduate programmes as our graduates often secure places at top universities.’

We do hope this helps! Best of luck with your decision and application 😊

Best wishes,

Susie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending