The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter vs Newcastle Uni

I need to decide in the next couple of days whether to firm Exeter or Newcastle University.

I'm studying accounting and finance and need the same grades for both (although Exeter should be AAA and Newcastle should be AAB).

The things I'm most interested in are Nightlife, likelihood I can get into the a Uni of football team, career opportunities, generally what people are like.

Any opinions on either Uni / City would be great.
if you want nightlife and cheap booze Newcastle over Exeter football teams depends on ur abillity and competition obviously. Exeter although is a higher ranked university for accounting and finance and on the overall tables so probably would have slightly better career opportunities. People wise Exeter is typically seen as a very private school-filled University but u shouldn't have a problem with social life at either.
Original post by Anonymous
I need to decide in the next couple of days whether to firm Exeter or Newcastle University.

I'm studying accounting and finance and need the same grades for both (although Exeter should be AAA and Newcastle should be AAB).

The things I'm most interested in are Nightlife, likelihood I can get into the a Uni of football team, career opportunities, generally what people are like.

Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thanks, appreciate it

Original post by user123456324
if you want nightlife and cheap booze Newcastle over Exeter football teams depends on ur abillity and competition obviously. Exeter although is a higher ranked university for accounting and finance and on the overall tables so probably would have slightly better career opportunities. People wise Exeter is typically seen as a very private school-filled University but u shouldn't have a problem with social life at either.
Reply 3

Curious - did you get the same offer from both or different offers ?

I've got the AAA offer from A&F from Exeter - it's a little frustrating that's there's no flexibility like a lot of other places, e.g. Bath and Bristol, where the offer is AAA or A*AB.

Wishing I'd applied to Newcastle though - chose Durham over it which is also a typical AAB offer but didn't get in.
Will seriously consider Newcastle in Clearing if it's available and I don't hit the Exeter offer.
Reply 4

Curious - did you get the same offer from both or different offers ?

I've got the AAA offer from A&F from Exeter - it's a little frustrating that's there's no flexibility like a lot of other places, e.g. Bath and Bristol, where the offer is AAA or A*AB.

Wishing I'd applied to Newcastle though - chose Durham over it which is also a typical AAB offer but didn't get in.
Will seriously consider Newcastle in Clearing if it's available and I don't hit the Exeter offer.

Yes I have the same offer from both.
I believe it's because of my EPQ which Exeter are willing to knock a grade off for, so both require me to get AAB at A level.
Like you, I was also rejected from Durham.
I'm finding it really difficult to pick between Exeter and Newcastle to firm. I think I'd have a better time at Newcastle with the nightlife and the fact it's much closer to my home town, but I'm concerned about passing up on better career opportunities that might arise with Exeter.
I'm also unsure on the stereotypes at Exeter - whether it's going to be full of people who think they're God's gift.
Reply 5
Yes I have the same offer from both.
I believe it's because of my EPQ which Exeter are willing to knock a grade off for, so both require me to get AAB at A level.
Like you, I was also rejected from Durham.
I'm finding it really difficult to pick between Exeter and Newcastle to firm. I think I'd have a better time at Newcastle with the nightlife and the fact it's much closer to my home town, but I'm concerned about passing up on better career opportunities that might arise with Exeter.
I'm also unsure on the stereotypes at Exeter - whether it's going to be full of people who think they're God's gift.

Re career opportunities, do you have something in mind ?

I think Exeter will possibly be only advantageous if you're targeting investment banks etc in The City. And I'm not certain it'll make that much difference - neither places are Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, LSE, imperial.

If you're thinking big 4 Accounting/Audit firms, I'm fairly certain they'll recruit from both.
Reply 6
I'm particularly interested in working in the City, possibly as an investment banker or in an accounting / audit role. I've picked Exeter however I'm now feeling I might have made the wrong decision.
I'm just not sure how much of a difference going to Exeter will make and whether it's worth being 5 and a half hours away, in a 'worse' student city.
Re career opportunities, do you have something in mind ?

I think Exeter will possibly be only advantageous if you're targeting investment banks etc in The City. And I'm not certain it'll make that much difference - neither places are Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, LSE, imperial.

If you're thinking big 4 Accounting/Audit firms, I'm fairly certain they'll recruit from both.
Reply 7
I'm particularly interested in working in the City, possibly as an investment banker or in an accounting / audit role. I've picked Exeter however I'm now feeling I might have made the wrong decision.
I'm just not sure how much of a difference going to Exeter will make and whether it's worth being 5 and a half hours away, in a 'worse' student city.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Exeter once you get there - I know a few from the year above at my school who've gone and love it - especially the sports options - and say the nightlife's good enough for their limited budgets.

However, given Newcastle A&F is still available in UCAS Extra, it's likely it'll be in Clearing too, so you could always change your mind come results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending