The Student Room Group

Tesco christmas advert features Muslims celebrating it.

It's caused some controversy as people know Muslims don't celebrate christmas so why feature Muslims? It's like featuring Christians celebrating Eid... So stupid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-christmas-advert-2017-muslim-family-feature-twitter-christian-feeling-a8046396.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A'OK
It's caused some controversy as people know Muslims don't celebrate christmas so why feature Muslims? It's like featuring Christians celebrating Eid... So stupid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-christmas-advert-2017-muslim-family-feature-twitter-christian-feeling-a8046396.html

And it's idiots like you who say the rest of us are triggered.

Imagine getting worked up over a 3 sec feature of muslims, everyone celebrates christmas, get a job and a life instead of being so hateful.
There was a girl on my undergrad course from Malaysia, and she said that non-Muslims used to celebrate Ramadan all the time by speeding and going through red lights because the police were all fasting and really cba to chase anyone - although the risk was getting a Sikh policeman.
Many Muslims celebrate it as a cultural event, especially those born here. Most people in this country are not Christian but still celebrate Christmas, which was not in fact originally a Christian holiday anyway.

As a side point, is there any evidence to suggest that she even is a Muslim?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by A'OK

This is great.

A big company attempts to display their support of cultural diversity but the group it displayed gets triggered over it.
Reply 5
Original post by DayneD89
Many Muslims celebrate it as a cultural event, especially those born here. Most people in this country are not Christian but still celebrate Christmas, which was not in fact originally a Christian holiday anyway.

As a side point, is there any evidence to suggest that she even is a Muslim?

You mean the hijab wasn't a big enough give away lol?
Reply 6
Original post by Chaz254
This is great.

A big company attempts to display their support of cultural diversity but the group it displayed gets triggered over it.

I ain't even Muslim I just think it's a bit tragic when you try to include people the majority of which don't celebrate it.

Maybe there is a hidden message behind the advert, to try and demonstrate that Islam is fading and Muslims are celebrating pagan holidays etc? I dunno
Though I haven't seen the advert myself, I was raised in a devoutly Hindu family that celebrated Christmas because when me and my siblings were kids it was more about the magic of fairy lights and decorations and santa claus coming to give good kids presents than a religious thing. Kinda like how atheistic families can celebrate it too.
The ad specifically isn't promoting 'cultural diversity': it's promoting integration. It's showing British people from different backgrounds celebrating our traditional festival.

I like it.
Original post by A'OK
You mean the hijab wasn't a big enough give away lol?

The hijab can be a cultural thing as well. In fact it's barely a religious one as much Muslim women don't wear a full hijab. Most in SE Asia for example only have a head scarf for prayers from what I understand. Still, my point was more that Christmas is more a cultural festival than a religious one.
non-Chistians celebrate Christmas too so why are you being a snowflake and getting butthurt for?

using Eid as a comparison, how pathetic.
Reply 11
Kim Jong Un invented his own version of Christmas, but he is the Santa and gives everyone tools to do work for him with. So basically only he celebrates Christmas in NK
Many muslims and non-christians celebrate christmas as an important part of British culture, not just as a Christian holiday commemorating the birth of Jesus.
why does it even matter? 90% of the people are probably atheist anyway. Literally no one celebrates christmas for "jesus" but rather being nice and recieving and giving presents. Why shouldn't other cultures be allowed to enjoy that and take part in it
Im a jew I have a xmas tree, love the festive season, I dont see anything wrong with it. I do it culturally and not religious reasons, cant see why a muslim cant do the same )
I think it's a wonderful commercial that shows how people from different walks of life share and enjoy the seasonal holidays. Plus, it's an improvement on Tesco's previous attempt at seasonal promoting:

Tesco under attack for offering bacon flavoured Pringles as part of Ramadan promotion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11697716/Tesco-under-attack-for-offering-bacon-flavoured-Pringles-as-part-of-Ramadan-promotion.html
The tesco advert is fine.. it shows a diverse range of families enjoying christmas. No problem with that. My Chinese-family in laws celebrate christmas now.. it wasn't their festival, and they never celebrated before, but with two families and cultures coming together we all try and engage in each others traditions now and it works wonderfully.

But.

I would question the level of representation in the 'christmas adverts' overall. I haven't looked at the numbers, but if you just go by what I can remember:

John lewis advert last year - black framily.
John lewis advert this year - black family.
Marks and spencers - white burgler, black family
Tesco this year - Diversity
Marks and spencers this year - women in power
Sainsburies christmas advert last year - mixed race family
Tesco last year - women getting ready for christmas

In terms of representation, non-white individuals are vastly over Represented in Christmas adverts over the past few years.

What does this mean? Well, nothing really.. they are just christmas adverts. All it shows is that companies have well and truly caught on to which way the wind is blowing, and are now happily using it to sell you products. Don't for a second think that they are doing this out of their good nature, or because they care about social justice. Its simple because it sells. They get some lovely good press about representing minorities, and the world ticks on.

I would say this years tesco advert is perfect, in terms of how things are shown. It shows a whole range of scenarios, races, and genders - most of all I love that it goes against the 'stupid-dad' trope, by showing dads do some of the cooking/christmas work, rather then the old adage of over burdened mums at christmas.
Original post by A'OK
I ain't even Muslim I just think it's a bit tragic when you try to include people the majority of which don't celebrate it.

Maybe there is a hidden message behind the advert, to try and demonstrate that Islam is fading and Muslims are celebrating pagan holidays etc? I dunno

Are you a practicing Christian?

If no do you celebrate Christmas and take advantage of the holiday?

Why have you been so triggered by this?
(edited 6 years ago)
If atheists can celebrate it then why can't Muslims?
As a Pagan I'm offended that the Christians appropriated my religious festival.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending