The Student Room Group

Is it unusual to not celebrate stuff like birthdays, Christmases, new year? etc.

I'm 22 and I'm not sure if this is unusual but I've never really celebrated anything. I remember when I was a kid my mother would always ask me what do I want for my birthday and I said I don't want anything but you can just stick a twenty pound note in a birthday card, she often did. I did put the £20.00 back in her purse when she wasn't looking, she always wondered how she ended up with an extra £20.00.

Even when it came to a new year, I was always fast asleep by 10:00pm, I personally didn't understand why people would just want to stay up late to celebrate a new year and get a hangover the next day. All my family stayed up but I was always in bed, I always got happy new year text messages but never said happy new year or merry Christmas to anyone.

People find this really odd, I must admit, For two years I did forget how old I was and when I was born as it's something I don't really care about. Is it unusual not to celebrate these events?
Reply 1
It is unusual but at the same time I get it. I don't care much for birthdays etc.
I think it’s unusual - I like to celebrate things just to give me something to look forward to and so every day is not the same
Reply 3
Original post by Colourfulstudent
I'm 22 and I'm not sure if this is unusual but I've never really celebrated anything. I remember when I was a kid my mother would always ask me what do I want for my birthday and I said I don't want anything but you can just stick a twenty pound note in a birthday card, she often did. I did put the £20.00 back in her purse when she wasn't looking, she always wondered how she ended up with an extra £20.00.

Even when it came to a new year, I was always fast asleep by 10:00pm, I personally didn't understand why people would just want to stay up late to celebrate a new year and get a hangover the next day. All my family stayed up but I was always in bed, I always got happy new year text messages but never said happy new year or merry Christmas to anyone.

People find this really odd, I must admit, For two years I did forget how old I was and when I was born as it's something I don't really care about. Is it unusual not to celebrate these events?

Whilst you don’t have a family it really doesn’t matter. My other half lost his mother and sister just before Christmas which means that the end of year plus birthdays are difficult for him, but he’ll make it up to me in other ways with spontaneous gestures that show he thinks about me.
However, once you have a family, celebrating Christmas and or birthdays etc becomes part of a family ritual that consolidates the unit by it’s forming of joint memorable moments. Not trying to make these times precious will set children apart from their friends and in some cases lay leave them feeling vulnerable and unloved. It’s not a question of buying expensive presents, but more a question of achieving a feeling of togetherness through the repetition of certain acts each year, whether that be decorating a tree or cooking the same traditional meal together.

Quick Reply

Latest