The Student Room Group

Looking for a job.

Hi, I'm in my first year of Uni and have been looking for a part-time job. I don't have any work experience but I have GCSE and A Level Qualifications? Does anyone have any tips on how I could get a job? Thank you.
Reply 1
Have you tried fast food places, they always have places and their shifts could be suitable for students
Original post by Prittinya
Hi, I'm in my first year of Uni and have been looking for a part-time job. I don't have any work experience but I have GCSE and A Level Qualifications? Does anyone have any tips on how I could get a job? Thank you.

Hey have you tried tutoring? The hrs fit around you to

Hey there 😀

After several years of study and several different jobs, my first and best suggestion is to apply for a student ambassador. There is no more interesting, developing and flexible work for a student than this.

Unless your university employs ambassadors, I recommend walking around the city and handling your CV to bars, restaurants, fast-foods, shops and other service places. You can also look for a job in warehouses.

Your university should offer career support. It may be worthwhile to go there and seek professional advice on what you can do or where to look. Their help can be particularly valuable in finding a role that will not only be a source of money but also practical experience that will complement your education.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Look on indeed.com. There are quite a few jobs on there. Also look on companies own websites. Some companies (e.g. mcdonalds, tesco etc) have their jobs on the careers section of their websites. Some places (especially smaller places/restaurants/cafes etc) have jobs in their windows. It will say on the advert how to apply.

Places like mcdonalds take on a lot of students.

Hiya!

It’s great to hear that you are looking for a job I think it is great to work at a part time job whilst being a student especially if you can find one that is flexible and accommodating to the lifestyle of being a student e.g. not too many hours or late nights. I will be more than happy to help you, as currently I have a few part time jobs

As Julia has already said see if your university has any jobs specifically for Students as for example at DMU we have the opportunity to be a Student Ambassador this is an incredibly rewarding, flexible job which allows you to develop many relevant skills. See if your university has anything on their website for students or ask the careers team (if you have one!). One of my part time jobs, is being a representative for my student accommodation you could see if this could be a potential option also.

Have a look at sites such as Indeed and Linkedln and even just google part time work and your area, hopefully some results should appear. I would also recommend, especially if you live in a city, walking around the town with copies of your CV and asking about any jobs and following social media pages as often they can post on there about potential jobs. This could seem quite intimidating, but I would honestly recommend it, the worse they can say is no, sorry. From friends and peers I believe most students work in retail and places to eat/ drink.

Also speak to peers and friends see if they can recommend anything or ask on your behalf about a potential job opening!

Hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any further questions on here or our Chat with us feature that we have on our DMU website https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/chat-with-a-student/index.aspx

-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
Reply 6
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there 😀

After several years of study and several different jobs, my first and best suggestion is to apply for a student ambassador. There is no more interesting, developing and flexible work for a student than this.

Unless your university employs ambassadors, I recommend walking around the city and handling your CV to bars, restaurants, fast-foods, shops and other service places. You can also look for a job in warehouses.

Your university should offer career support. It may be worthwhile to go there and seek professional advice on what you can do or where to look. Their help can be particularly valuable in finding a role that will not only be a source of money but also practical experience that will complement your education.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
I see, thank you. I will check that out ^^
Reply 7
Original post by Amin7
Have you tried fast food places, they always have places and their shifts could be suitable for students
I have applied for a few, just awaiting a response
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Look on indeed.com. There are quite a few jobs on there. Also look on companies own websites. Some companies (e.g. mcdonalds, tesco etc) have their jobs on the careers section of their websites. Some places (especially smaller places/restaurants/cafes etc) have jobs in their windows. It will say on the advert how to apply.

Places like mcdonalds take on a lot of students.
Thank you, I have been doing that. I'm just waiting to see if any of the jobs I applied for will call me. ^^

Fast food places take on a lot of students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending