The Student Room Group

simultaneous equations

Hi i was just wondering when we work out a simultaneous equation does the answer give us the points which the 2 lines intersect? Ive been taught how to do but never why and a question came up asking for the point of intersection using this so i want to just clarify is this the case?
Original post by WWEKANE
Hi i was just wondering when we work out a simultaneous equation does the answer give us the points which the 2 lines intersect? Ive been taught how to do but never why and a question came up asking for the point of intersection using this so i want to just clarify is this the case?

You work out the point of intersection of 2 lines using simultaneous equations
Original post by WWEKANE

Yes, when you solve a system of simultaneous linear equations {a1x+b1y=c1a2x+b2y=c2\displaystyle \begin{cases} a_1 x + b_1 y = c_1 \\ a_2 x + b_2 y = c_2 \end{cases} then you are indeed finding the point of intersection between a1x+b1y=c1a_1x+b_1y=c_1 and a2x+b2y=c2a_2x+b_2y=c_2
Original post by WWEKANE

Yes, that is true for all the cases.....No matter what type of equation, be it circle, curve, straight line etc.....the answer to simultaneous equation will be point of intersection
Reply 4
thanks! in lesson we get taught what to do and not why so a question came up in my mock like this and I was confused. anyway thankyou
Original post by WWEKANE
thanks! in lesson we get taught what to do and not why so a question came up in my mock like this and I was confused. anyway thankyou

np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest