The Student Room Group

Carboxylic acids

Why can’t carboxylic acids exist as more then dimers? There will be still one negatively polar oxygen when dimers form
Hi,

I don't think the statement that "carboxylc acids cannot exist as more than dimers" is at all true; so your confusion is unnecessary.

The best example is that of amino acids, which can form very long (often tens of thousands of a.a.'s long) "polymers", namely proteins. Athough most proteins will have many different amino acids (even some with more than one carboxyl group (-COOH) e.g. aspartic acid, there are several examples of tripeptides and other oligopeptides which only contain one amino acid e.g. collagen is rich in hydroxyproline;keratin has part-chains of cysteine (a sulphur-containing a.a.)

I hope this puts your mind at rest. :smile:

M
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi,

I don't think the statement that "carboxylc acids cannot exist as more than dimers" is at all true; so your confusion is unnecessary.

The best example is that of amino acids, which can form very long (often tens of thousands of a.a.'s long) "polymers", namely proteins. Athough most proteins will have many different amino acids (even some with more than one carboxyl group (-COOH) e.g. aspartic acid, there are several examples of tripeptides and other oligopeptides which only contain one amino acid e.g. collagen is rich in hydroxyproline;keratin has part-chains of cysteine (a sulphur-containing a.a.)

M

Thank you so much!! Textbooks can have very little information for a curious mind. :smile:
If I were to be a cat, I’d be long gone dead!
Reply 3
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi,

M

Amino acids don't exist as carboxylic acids if they've reacted to become a protein... If anything, they are amides?
Reply 4
Original post by Mme_Bonii
Why can’t carboxylic acids exist as more then dimers? There will be still one negatively polar oxygen when dimers form

They could become more than dimers theoretically, but you can see dimers because it's the most stable formation. There are two H bonds between the same two molecules. The other oxygen could H-bond but it would be a weak bond, easily broken
Original post by marupe
Amino acids don't exist as carboxylic acids if they've reacted to become a protein... If anything, they are amides?

Biological amino acids have an amine group and a carboxylic acid group, which are what they use to polymerise, AND a residual group or R group, which varies between the ~20 amino acids. Aspartate and glutamate are the two amino acids that have carboxylic acid groups in their R groups.

Chemically speaking, yeah, amino acids form amide bonds when they polymerise. Biochemists tend to call those peptide bonds, although I’m not entirely sure why.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Biological amino acids have an amine group and a carboxylic acid group, which are what they use to polymerise, AND a residual group or R group, which varies between the ~20 amino acids. Aspartate and glutamate are the two amino acids that have carboxylic acid groups in their R groups.

Chemically speaking, yeah, amino acids form amide bonds when they polymerise. Biochemists tend to call those peptide bonds, although I’m not entirely sure why.

I know :smile: But I'm sure the dimer formation is referencing the carboxylic acid groups, not R chains. This is the chemistry forum, not biology so I assume this is a GCSE/a-level question which is why my answer is more likely what they are looking for.

Though even then, if a protein had two amino acids in which each had an R group containing COOH, I wouldn't call it a dimer unless the COOH were interacting as part of the tertiary structure!

edit: I think you were just correcting my statement that amino acids are not carboxylic acids since they're reacted, but can be if they have an COOH R group. In which case you're correct, my statement was misleading
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest