The Student Room Group

chem question moles

hi, please could i have help on this question? i have no clue where to start!
here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/617960668460691456?codeId=MlQxWlZGbbkqX&origin=imageurlgenerator
thanks!
Reply 1
tartaric acid has 2 carboxyl groups and two alcohol (hydroxyl) groups, 2 x sodium will react with the carboxylic acid carboxyl groups and sodium will also react with alcohols to form alkoxide ions, since tartaric acid has two hydroxyl (alcohol) groups another x2 sodium will react with these
Reply 2
Original post by Scanjo63
tartaric acid has 2 carboxyl groups and two alcohol (hydroxyl) groups, 2 x sodium will react with the carboxylic acid carboxyl groups and sodium will also react with alcohols to form alkoxide ions, since tartaric acid has two hydroxyl (alcohol) groups another x2 sodium will react with these

Thank you! Just to confirm on the internet it says alkoxide ions are formed from the reaction between alcohols and bases so is this why it has to be 2NaOH so the OH makes it a base?
Reply 3
The acidic COOH will react to form COONa and the -OH hydroxyl group will react to form the alkoxide ion -ONa
Reply 4
Original post by Scanjo63
The acidic COOH will react to form COONa and the -OH hydroxyl group will react to form the alkoxide ion -ONa

i understand where the sodium comes in but i dont get why it has to be -OH? Why can't it be CO3 or HCO3 at the end of sodium?

Quick Reply

Latest