The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Does Money Bring Happiness?

Scroll to see replies

Money shouldn’t buy happiness BUT they did studies and found that rich people tend to be happier (on average)
Original post by paul514
Because it simply doesn’t, stress is an internal factor, what stresses one person doesn’t stress another.

My previous post on this thread is the only answer to the OP.

Money buys choices and if you pick the right choices you can be content.

Happiness is a short term emotion.

Nope but you can pretty much guarantee a high percentage of low earners stress about upcoming payments, rent, repairs on vehicles when they need to use it to get to work etc at some point in they life. As a result my statement stands, money reduces stress, and by all means doesn't fix stress. There are non financial stresses in life, but in the current consumer outlook of the world most are financial. If you can get rid of the basic things that shouldn't stress you out because you have a good salary etc, you have a much higher chance of being happy. All people are different I definitely agree there and what makes one person happy will be completely different to the next.
Original post by rudic990
Nope but you can pretty much guarantee a high percentage of low earners stress about upcoming payments, rent, repairs on vehicles when they need to use it to get to work etc at some point in they life. As a result my statement stands, money reduces stress, and by all means doesn't fix stress. There are non financial stresses in life, but in the current consumer outlook of the world most are financial. If you can get rid of the basic things that shouldn't stress you out because you have a good salary etc, you have a much higher chance of being happy. All people are different I definitely agree there and what makes one person happy will be completely different to the next.

You’re talking about basic needs being met, food, water, shelter etc being the thing which is bringing stress not the lack of money.

You could be a cash poor farmer but have food and shelter etc and not be stressed.
Original post by paul514
You’re talking about basic needs being met, food, water, shelter etc being the thing which is bringing stress not the lack of money.

Exactly? And having money would solve this stress.

Original post by paul514
You could be a cash poor farmer but have food and shelter etc and not be stressed.

Lots of places to farm in London! Never said I was talking about everyone. Pretty sure most farmers are stressed at the moment.

Some fun bed time facts for you anyway as cba to reply anymore as its the ops thread not mine!

https://www.forthwithlife.co.uk/blog/great-britain-and-stress/
It's not what you can do with money, it's what you don't have to do or worry about.
Original post by العبقري
Writing a debate against the statement 'money brings happiness' any ideas?

Money gives you freedom, freedom = happiness.

Also I would rather be sad inside a Lamborghini

Also you could say money doesn't influence happiness at all
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by العبقري

It makes me happy yes. It's money that makes it possible for me to book flights and see my boyfriend twice a year. Without money I would be all alone.
Original post by rudic990
Lots of places to farm in London! Never said I was talking about everyone. Pretty sure most farmers are stressed at the moment.

Some fun bed time facts for you anyway as cba to reply anymore as its the ops thread not mine!

https://www.forthwithlife.co.uk/blog/great-britain-and-stress/

It was an example used to show that it isn’t money that lifts that worry but basic needs being met.

As you have got all sarcastic I’ll end it there and you can learn what I have said in later life
Hmmm, no. You can have all the money in the world and still be depressed or hate your life.

On the other hand, if you're poor or in lots of debt and fighting to afford even the basics to survive you would think it would bring happiness because you could afford a better quality of life.

I think it is what you do with the money and what you make out of your life. It depends on the situation.
Money brings happiness because it means we can buy alcohol.
Original post by العبقري

if money does not bring happiness then why does poverty bring sadness?
money DOES bring happiness
when someone gives you £1000 you feel happy dont you??
therefore money brings goddamn happiness (and a hell-a-load of other things)
Original post by in-jail_out-soon
if money does not bring happiness then why does poverty bring sadness?
I feel as though a year after the thread has been posted the first poster has got the advice they need. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending