The Student Room Group

graduate entry medicine

I’ve just recently finished second year pharmacy, and I know I haven’t done as well as I could have. This was due to motivation reasons such as not wanting to study pharmacy anymore as the profession is getting less and less attractive, for example lower pay, cuts and difficulty in terms of progression such as owing your own business or becoming an advanced clinical pharmacist in hospital due to, very high saturation in the pharmacy profession. Since I’m an individual who loves working with patients and being very hands on I feel that pharmacy is not right for me as a career.

I study pharmacy at Sunderland university, and the degree breakdown is, 1st year doesn’t count, 2nd year is 10%, 3rd year is 30% and 4th year is 60%. I am expecting my grade for second year to be in the region of around 56%, which isn’t a good grade, but I am still optimistic as I have 90% of the course still remaining.

After doing a lot of research I have become really interested in the graduate entry medicine course, I feel like studying medicine is right for me as it combines a high level of scientific knowledge with patient contact. I understand that most courses require at least a 2.1 degree.

I have started looking for work experience such as working with the British Red Cross, helping in a hospice as well as community pharmacy work.

I plan to apply to graduate entry medicine after my 4th year; this will allow me to complete my pre reg year, which can help fund the degree.

I just wanted some advice on how to increase my 2.2 in second year to a 2.1 or a first overall. Also I wanted advice on what work experience/volunteer work is best for graduate entry medicine.

Thank you
Reply 1
Getting a 2.1 is a must, work your arse off, you've still got the bulk of the weighting ahead of you so I'm sure you can redeem yourself in years 3 and 4.

Work experience sounds good, just keep it consistent. Don't approach it as a box-ticking exercise and use your time to learn how to communicate with patients and become exposed to the environment.
Third and fourth year are key. once you are in third year, you'll automatically work harder if your head is screwed on simply because of the outlay in terms of money and time you've spent on the course. Hard work conquers all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending