The Student Room Group

Expanding Brackets

How do you do these find of questions where you have to expand brackets with powerof 4

I have expanded but got x^4 + 4x^3h + 6 h^2x^2 + 4xh^3 +h^4
Is this correct?
Question 5ii A)
And how do you answer questions like part 5ii) C) and why doesit mean that it is the gradient to the tangent ?

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C2/Topic-Qs/OCR-MEI/C2%20Differentiation%20-%20Basic%203%20QP.pdf

Answer:http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C2/Topic-Qs/OCR-MEI/C2%20Differentiation%20-%20Basic%203%20MS.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by esmeralda123
How do you do these find of questions where you have to expand brackets with powerof 4

I have expanded but got x^4 + 4x^3h + 6 h^2x^2 + 4xh^3 +h^4
Is this correct?

Yes.
You use binomial expansion. Or Pascal's triangle. Whatever works for you best.

Tangent to the curve at xx, rather you mean.
I've answered this at least three times before for you + this is part of your theory if it's in the exam, so I can't be bothered repeating myself once more. Look it up.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Yes.
You use binomial expansion. Or Pascal's triangle. Whatever works for you best.

Tangent to the curve at xx, rather you mean.
I've answered this at least three times before for you + this is part of your theory if it's in the exam, so I can't be bothered repeating myself once more. Look it up.

In the mark scheme, the expanded form does not have some of the terms in my expansion
The mark scheme is 6x^2h^2 + 4xh^3 + h^4
But my answer is x^4 + 4x^3h + 6 h^2x^2 + 4xh^3 +h^4
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by esmeralda123
In the mark scheme, the expanded form does not have some of the terms in my expansion
The mark scheme is 6x^2h^2 + 4xh^3 + h^4
But my answer is x^4 + 4x^3h + 6 h^2x^2 + 4xh^3 +h^4

It's because the question says "complete the identity", so the mark scheme only shows the additional terms that are needed to complete it. The first two terms, x^4 and 4x^3h are already given, if you look at the question.

Quick Reply

Latest