The Student Room Group

Maths Question Help Indices

Simplify: x(2x^-1/3)^4

I've been trying to do this question for a while but I just don't know how to get to the right answer.

I have tried expanding x(2x) to be 2x^2, then 2x^(2 x -1/3) which is 2x^-2/3.
Then (2x^-2/3)^4 = 16x^-8/3.
However, the answer is 16 / x^1/3, which I don't understand how one solver to this answer. Any help would be appreciated on where I have gone wrong. Thanks :smile:
Don't over complicate this one. I don't really understand the method you've used, but I just tried it myself, and get the correct answer.

First you need to understand that you have two separate variables in your initial bracket. You have a 2 and you have an x raised to the power of -1/3. Ignore the x outside the bracket at first, and focus on raising the two variables inside the initial bracket to the power of 4. 2 to the power of 4 is simple enough. x the the power of -1/3 raised to the power of 4, would require you to multiple -1/3 and 4 since the power 4 is outside of the bracket. Once you've done that, you should end up with a product that you just have to multiple by x, so just pretend it's x to the power of 1 and add the power of 1 to the power of the other x you have. Hope this makes sense.
Original post by Ðeggs
Simplify: x(2x^-1/3)^4

I've been trying to do this question for a while but I just don't know how to get to the right answer.

I have tried expanding x(2x) to be 2x^2, then 2x^(2 x -1/3) which is 2x^-2/3.
Then (2x^-2/3)^4 = 16x^-8/3.
However, the answer is 16 / x^1/3, which I don't understand how one solver to this answer. Any help would be appreciated on where I have gone wrong. Thanks :smile:

Try applying BIDMAS/BODMAS (however you learnt it).

Because you’ve used an incorrect order of operations, you haven’t got a correct answer.

Quick Reply

Latest