The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Identifying as a gender does not mean you are that gender.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maxiea

I'm saying it's a shame. He looked pretty hung and I thought about having him.

What's more of a shame is that you seem to consider whether you found her attractive when she looked male more important than whether she's comfortable in her own skin.

Who cares "how they view themselves"
if "how they view themselves" is fundamentally patholological? I have the DSM to back me up.

I'll take the medical professionals using the DSM for five please. Doesn't really matter if GID is classified as a mental illness, they still deserve treatment and the most effective treatment is transitioning.
Woah guys you really BTFOed those SJWs epic style.
Seriously though this is pathetic, as long as people don't actually identifynas a plane or something (which afaik nobody does and most NB people are just gender neutral) what is the issue? Just respect people's pronouns
Most of us just want to conform to 'social norms' as defined by cis people *and* function into society like everyone else (even most enby people have a defined pronoun). So not calling someone by their desired pronoun is pretty dumb as it doesn't affect your life one bit and is disrespectful. You want to be ignorant, its your choice but don't expect us to share our voice with you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 183
You might want to pick up any book by Sheila Jeffreys, who actually knows what she's talking about.

Fortunately those who actually know what they're talking about, particularly in the medical field, do.

Not sure how their looks matter tbh... Sounds like the same basis as telling trans-men that they're cute and they "shouldn't mutilate themselves"; in other words missing the point of how they view themselves.
Reply 184
So? What business is it of yours who I find attractive? I refer you to Sheila Jeffreys, Germaine Greer and Julie Bindel: who know what they're talking about and have the footnotes to back up their work.

I'll take the medical professionals using the DSM for five please. Doesn't really matter if GID is classified as a mental illness, they still deserve treatment and the most effective treatment is transitioning.
Reply 185
Your semtence makes no sense linguistically or grammatically.
Reply 186
Newsflash: Non-binary is NOT the same as transgendered.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
And from this post we can see you've either not read any of it or failed to understand any of it, or if we're being less charitable, dismissed it with no good reason to protect your half baked ideology. Go be wrong elsewhere, I've not got time for people who refuse to learn

Dude, read them yourself. There is no evidence for what you believe. Ironic how you have swallowed ion the trans narrative of science denying while simultaneously accusing others of the very same thing youre doing.

https://goo.gl/images/2smTph

Lmfao if ever there was something furthering sexist stereotypes...
Original post by maxiea
So? What business is it of yours who I find attractive? I refer you to Sheila Jeffreys, Germaine Greer and Julie Bindel: who know what they're talking about and have the footnotes to back up their work.

Not really. Meta study from 2004 showed no decrease in s expression and suicide rates. Recent studies show short term improvements, but not long term.
I dress as a girl and want to be a girl but i am a boy just the wrong gender
Original post by Waldorf67
But the key difference and the one that you keep ignoring, is that the sheer definition of gender relates to your perception. Gender is what you feel. Unfortunately as much as you may wish it to be the case, the identification of being a millionaire does not depend on your concept, but your material worth.

Matieral wealth = a physical concept.
Gender = a psychological concept.

You may disagree with the definition as much as you may like :cry: But you aren’t going to change anything. Times have changed, accept it.

Except you just scored an own goal because trans activists are increasingly claiming if you feel (perception) Female (physical reality) you are. Gender is no longer a psychological concept. Next everything we have in place relating to sex eg male and female sports has nothing to do with how people perceive themselves. You’re way behind the current argument. It’s an inconsistent but argument and contradictory with other arguments and demands.

Finally, it’s ****ing insulting to women who have suffered sexist abuse to say, well if you would just feel like a man you’d have avoided it.
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
If you are born male, you will forever be a Mr, have an M in your passport, and be legally and medically a man and a male body. You can dress up as a woman, ask everyone to call you a female name, but what doesn't change is your sex.

Yes that is very true , i am a boy and dress as a girl most of the time and i want to be a girl , so as long as i feel like a girl that is ok for me
Original post by Waldorf67
If I genuinely believed I was Jezza’s ***** I would likely be diagnosed with some form of mental disorder.

Being transgender is not considered a mental disorder by the latest DSM, unless the person is experiencing significant distress. In which case they may be diagnosed by with gender dysphoria.

So if a person is living as a transgender and is not experiencing substantial and ongoing distress as a direct result of it, they are not considered to have a mental disorder.

A significant indicator of mental disorders is “abnormality”. As transgender people are being increasingly accepted and tolerated by Western society (with the exception of ignorant bigots like yourself) they are no longer considered as abnormal as they used to be. Hence the change in diagnostic criteria.

In short, society evolves. If you can’t evolve and wish to stay stagnant, that is your issue, not ours. Don’t like it, **** off.
Society is not evolving. This is something that affects a very small part of society. I'm a realist not a bigot! Simply because you believe in something and I don't does not make you right....it makes you arrogant!
Original post by maxiea
You might want to pick up any book by Sheila Jeffreys, who actually knows what she's talking about.

Fortunately those who actually know what they're talking about, particularly in the medical field, do.

Not sure how their looks matter tbh... Sounds like the same basis as telling trans-men that they're cute and they "shouldn't mutilate themselves"; in other words missing the point of how they view themselves.[noPARSE]

Original post by maxiea

I'll take the medical professionals using the DSM for five please. Doesn't really matter if GID is classified as a mental illness, they still deserve treatment and the most effective treatment is transitioning.[noPARSE]

You'd be more likely to get replies if you didn't keep screwing up the quote tags so horrendously. :fyi:
Original post by username2400323
Axio notice how you can't explain why you believe having a belief that you are the opp sex makes you the opp sex. Foolish.

Can I just point out that is not what he's saying. Sex and gender are not interchangeable. They mean different things. Sex refers to biological things such as sexual organs. Gender refers to social expressions of masculinity/femininity.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
but you don't get to mandate how everyone else labels or identifies you.

Except you kind of can.

See public faces jobs, such as doctors, loosing thier jobs for refusing to use peoples' prefered pronouns.

Deliberatly calling a trans women 'he' even though you know this is not how they would like to be refered to is easily a HR issue in loads of places.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 196
Sheet mans debate this stuff
You male if you got the D
You female if you got the V

Simple
Original post by yudothis
Irrelevant. By definition of a given language, pronouns are well defined. If you want to argue to change language (that has gendered pronouns) to become genderless, great, but that is not the same as demanding to be called he as a female in a gendered language.

Language is an aspect of culture, and often names do indeed follow specific language rules - specific name endings are definitionally male or female and conjugating them by case won't make sense otherwise. The classic example is Latin - a name ending in -us is necessarily a male name, while -a is necessarily a female one.

Also, you're appealing to hard language rules despite the fact that in most countries, ones legal gender can be changed and thus gendered pronouns are correctly defined as referring to that legal gender.
Original post by yudothis
Same boring old argument as "some women can't become pregnant either, are they no women either".

Because it still holds true. That's precisely they problem with essentialist arguments - they are refuted by a single counterexample. "A is an essential quality of B" is disproved by any case in which B does not possess quality A.

Yes, because putting kids on a path of lifelong medication at best, earlier death and complications likely, is such a great idea. Already cases of the harm of lupron are emerging (which is supposed to give kids more time).

I already said that I agree there are good reasons for it being illegal (the point was purely about the possibility, not the desirability), so it seems you just wanted a chance to rant.

Don't really see the relevance. Trans people will always be a small minority. Once you know a population, you will classify a male as a male, regardless of whether he thought of himself as a woman.

No, even before you get into issues of gender identity you'd be making educated guesses, with varying degrees of certainty. But then that's precisely the point that remains can only tell us so much about a society.

Latest

Trending

Trending