The Student Room Group

Have Gender and Sexual Identities gone too far?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You nailed it in the OP, there is absolutely no difference between gender and personality. This term was invented and is exclusively used by snowflakes looking to score higher in the oppression olympics.
Original post by ilem
You nailed it in the OP, there is absolutely no difference between gender and personality. This term was invented and is exclusively used by snowflakes looking to score higher in the oppression olympics.

Wait, so are you pro made up genders or pro binary genders, because what you said isn’t really what the OP meant
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
My moggy is an asexual assasin.

When are you setting up the support group
Reply 43
Original post by Big_Daymo
Wait, so are you pro made up genders or pro binary genders, because what you said isn’t really what the OP meant

I think the term 'gender' itself is a completely made, up, pointless concept that is synonymous to 'personality' and does not cover anything that isn't covered by the term 'personality'.
Honestly people can do what they want, it's harmless so idk why people care so much. I do think people get gender expression/personalities and fetishes confused but whatever floats your boat and all that. Doesnt concern me what people want to identify as
Reply 45
Original post by ilem

That isn't what I meant, I agree with people that there are multiple genders but what I mean by too far is when people use personality as a gender as well.

Every small discrepancy in a personality does not constitute a new gender.
Original post by ilem
I think the term 'gender' itself is a completely made, up, pointless concept that is synonymous to 'personality' and does not cover anything that isn't covered by the term 'personality'.

I guess you’re kinda right, but I think assorting people into groups based on sex is helpful in establishing gender roles (that’s not a bad thing) and to help differentiate the sexes, as both sexes have different needs and wants, generally speaking.
Yes too far
Reply 48
Original post by Bio 7
That isn't what I meant, I agree with people that there are multiple genders but what I mean by too far is when people use personality as a gender as well.

Every small discrepancy in a personality does not constitute a new gender.

Male and female genders are just as valid as the million additional tumblr genders, which is to say, not at all. People are either biologically male or female, with a whole spectrum of unique personalities that do not require a new term in order to be defined.

Original post by Big_Daymo
I guess you’re kinda right, but I think assorting people into groups based on sex is helpful in establishing gender roles (that’s not a bad thing) and to help differentiate the sexes, as both sexes have different needs and wants, generally speaking.

Well I completely agree with you, I very much agree that it is sometimes useful to differentiate between people based on their biological sex, not 'gender'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Honestly people can do what they want, it's harmless so idk why people care so much. I do think people get gender expression/personalities and fetishes confused but whatever floats your boat and all that. Doesnt concern me what people want to identify as

Does it also not concern you when they demand rights based on this 'identity'? When they change language to assert this 'identity'? Language is a form of control and by changing it, controlling you really don't think it concerns you?
Original post by yudothis
Does it also not concern you when they demand rights based on this 'identity'? When they change language to assert this 'identity'? Language is a form of control and by changing it, controlling you really don't think it concerns you?

Not really, if someone wants to be called a certain pronoun even if i dont understand it i'll try my best to use it to make them more comfortable. Is just common decency tbh
Original post by CoolCavy
Not really, if someone wants to be called a certain pronoun even if i dont understand it i'll try my best to use it to make them more comfortable. Is just common decency tbh

That explains a lot. Sheep would not have a problem with compelled speech.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Oh god how will I cope with the possibility of a woman privately ******** in a stall next to me

I'm p sure UK scouts have been ungendered for years to no issue

It should be perfectly acceptable that some women do not want to share a bathroom with men. For a data point, after Target introduced gender neutral dressing rooms, the incidents of sexual harassment exploded.

Do you feel comfortable knowing that it is in their guidelines to try and prevent parents from learning when a transgirl is put with girls? They are trying to hide the parents of girls to learn their daughter is sharing space with a boy (who at that part truly is a boy, other than feeling like a girl). Edit: since on this page no one ever believes anything, I can't find the original text, but here is an article that states: "At the same time, Guide leaders were discouraged from telling parents their daughters would be sharing facilities with transgender girls" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5117669/Girlguiding-issues-controversial-advice-trans-members.html
(edited 5 years ago)
Do people really disagree that gender is nothing but personality?

DjDVRuZU0AAWZOh.jpeg
It should be perfectly acceptable that some women do not want to share a bathroom with men. For a data point, after Target introduced gender neutral dressing rooms, the incidents of sexual harassment exploded.

Do you feel comfortable knowing that it is in their guidelines to try and prevent parents from learning when a transgirl is put with girls? They are trying to hide the parents of girls to learn their daughter is sharing space with a boy (who at that part truly is a boy, other than feeling like a girl). Edit: since on this page no one ever believes anything, I can't find the original text, but here is an article that states: "At the same time, Guide leaders were discouraged from telling parents their daughters would be sharing facilities with transgender girls" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5117669/Girlguiding-issues-controversial-advice-trans-members.html

I think bathroom debates either way are a bit of a waste of time. I'd be fine keeping them gendered as they are, but if people build gender neutral loos I don't particularly care about that either. It is just pooping, at the end of the day. Suppose the fix to help the uncomfortable would be to have all 3 available at once. I'm not sure how comparable a dressing room is to a bathroom, given the getting dressed element.

I can understand why parents would possibly be uncomfortable with the scenario you've given there, but at the same time I'm not exactly sure what harm a boi who believes they are a girl in a place full of girls would actually do. It's quite surprising that was in their guidance.

'can be used' doesn't sound like it's being forced on anyone really mate.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I think bathroom debates either way are a bit of a waste of time. I'd be fine keeping them gendered as they are, but if people build gender neutral loos I don't particularly care about that either. It is just pooping, at the end of the day. Suppose the fix to help the uncomfortable would be to have all 3 available at once. I'm not sure how comparable a dressing room is to a bathroom, given the getting dressed element.

I can understand why parents would possibly be uncomfortable with the scenario you've given there, but at the same time I'm not exactly sure what harm a boi who believes they are a girl in a place full of girls would actually do. It's quite surprising that was in their guidance.

'can be used' doesn't sound like it's being forced on anyone really mate.

Pretty sure that girls would be very uncomfortable around penis. Not to mention it normalized penis in women’s spaces. You might find that trivial, but for many girls and women it isn’t.
Pretty sure that girls would be very uncomfortable around penis. Not to mention it normalized penis in women’s spaces. You might find that trivial, but for many girls and women it isn’t.

You've been to a toilet before, right? Folk tend not to walk around just waving their johnson about. If the space was only cubicles and no urinals then you'd have basically no chance of actually encountering **** in the wild.
Remember the days when you was either a boy, girl, straight gay or bi, transgender or a Tom boy. Back in the day when nobody wanted a label now if you don’t have at least 5 labels you’re an oppressive cis white man who wants to enslave the rest of humanity
Muppet here - https://terfisaslur.com/

The fact that you use it while "TERF" is essentially the new ****/witch/***** speaks volumes about your character. You are either part of it, or willfully ignore that a very large part of trans activists bully and abuse women under that umbrella.

Yawn, far-right extremists say the same about "Nazi" and "racist".
That explains a lot. Sheep would not have a problem with compelled speech.

Deliberately misgendering and then receiving stick does not make one a political martyr. It makes you an unpleasant bully. Get over it.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending