The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I noticed that your schools do not issue Government degrees. How would an MA in Government look in the UK?
Reply 41
In which field do you plan to work?

I'm going to guess either investment banking (by virtue of your avatar) or perhaps consultanct? To be frank, neither will care what you studied, just that it's decent and it's from Harvard (cf. your friend who majored in English and is working as a consultant).

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken on your chosen career!
As the degree is from Harvard, you don't need to worry too much about what it's in, employers will like the fact it's a Harvard degree, regardless of what you actually studied.
Reply 43
That's good to know. So I could really get an MA in Government and still come out with a decent job in the UK?

I want to either go into banking, consulting or government work (preferably in public finance).
Reply 44
YankeeUK2008
I noticed that your schools do not issue Government degrees. How would an MA in Government look in the UK?

LSE do. I assumed it was just another term for Politics, which most universities do.

Edit: It clearly is, looking at the course content. Politics is a good course if it's from an excellent university, but the graduate prospects and starting salaries are not particularly great for the vast majority of universities.
Reply 45
LSE do. I assumed it was just another term for Politics, which most universities do.

Depends. Political Science would be a little more academic, while Government would be more of a mix of policy and academics. Although, most of our degrees in that field would be MPA (Master of Public Administration) or MPP (Master of Public Policy).

Is a Masters in Politics seen as a professional degree in the UK?
Reply 46
YankeeUK2008
Depends. Political Science would be a little more academic, while Government would be more of a mix of policy and academics. Although, most of our degrees in that field would be MPA (Master of Public Administration) or MPP (Master of Public Policy).

Is a Masters in Politics seen as a professional degree in the UK?

The London School of Economics and Political Science doesn't do "Politics" or "Political Science", just "Government", and it came first in The Times league table for "Politics", so I'd imagine it is the same course here.

I wouldn't say that it's seen as a mickey mouse degree anyway. Have you considered doing your masters in the UK? It would probably be cheaper and if you're going to Oxbridge or LSE I'd say it would only increase your chances of getting an IB job in the UK.
Reply 47
I wouldn't say that it's seen as a mickey mouse degree anyway. Have you considered doing your masters in the UK? It would probably be cheaper and if you're going to Oxbridge or LSE I'd say it would only increase your chances of getting an IB job in the UK.

Sweet.

Yeah I am considering doing my masters in the UK. If I get rejected from Cambridge, I am going to try my hand at one the Diplomas in Development Economics or Management from LSE through External Program and then apply to LSE.

By Mickey Mouse degree I assume you mean not very rigorous? Taken lightly?
Reply 48
YankeeUK2008

By Mickey Mouse degree I assume you mean not very rigorous? Taken lightly?

Yeah - media studies, tourism, dairy herd management etc. :p:
Reply 49
I hear Environmental Management is picking up steam over there. Is that right?
Reply 50
If you watch a lot of American TV you should atleast know the names of most of these; so therefore, I am kind of surprised by peoples lack of knowledge. o_O

EDIT: OP stick with Harvard, its seriously highly regarded over here, and in the US too id assume. Its probably one of the most well known uni's from the USA aswell for this reason
Reply 51
foxo
Yeah - media studies, tourism, dairy herd management etc. :p:

...Bed Selling at Bucks New Uni

I'm joking, yes i have read the threads on it properly :P
Reply 52
I guess to the average student outside of the particular country which the instituition is based at, Upenn is just as foreign as universities like durham, bristol or warwick.

But we all know how good durham, bristol and warwick are. So its international popularity really doesnt denote its domestic standing and academic quality.
Reply 53
Anyway OP imagine this - you are in a UK forum asking predominantly UK students or students who are well acquainted with UK universities about american universities. Some people tend to label LSE as better or more prestigious or label upenn as inferior, anonymous etc..

Well this is really contestable because for the record upenn is a great ivy league uni. Entry standards are far higher than those of LSE too, although im not implyign any relatnship between this and academic reputation/quality.

Try going into an american forum with predominantly american educated students or students well acquainted with american universities and ask them how good bristol/durham/ucl/kcl is. Its almost certain that most of them wouldnt even have heard of these universities before. for the record before I started researching on unis, I have only heard of oxbridge and lse in the UK (have no idea about bristol and durham and ucl at all) but have already heard of cornell, mit, princeton, carnegie mellon, brown, chicago, upenn, harvard, stanford and yale.

Rmb tat there are always only just these few universities that have the immutable international status, such as harvard, princeton or oxbridge. Few other unis share this sort of international standing. It would really be unfair to discount upenn just because it doesnt measure up to the international standing of Harvard princeton because in truth how many universities can?

Its like me going into american forum and ask - "is UCL any good?" and people say "never heard of them' and then I go urgghhh. When in fact UCL is an excellent uni - both you and me know that.
Reply 54
UPenn is a very good school, the WBS is one of the hardest to get into. and employers who are maybe US based also will defitely know about UPenn, if you have a place there i would seriously consider it.
I half expected a thread about the merits of different pasta forms.

I can't say I've ever heard of Penn, but then i'm not an employer. Like other's I've only really heard of a few Universities in the USA and wouldnt be able to rate them well at all.
Reply 56
xxxchrisxxx
Non-Wharton UPenn? I might choose it over any UK universities barring Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and possibly Edinburgh.

To be honest, only Oxford and Cambridge amongst the UK unis are clearly ahead of UPenn. UPenn is not quite well known in the UK, but it has a very prestigious name across North America and Asia.

When I was at Warwick, everyone I met there has also heard of Stanford, UC Berkeley and MIT, aside from HYP.

There were quite a few that have heard of Duke, Cornell and NYU.

UPenn is an excellent uni but it's not well known. :frown:
Iv only heard of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UCLA, MIT,NYU, Berkeley, Columbia and Brown. (and the latter only because of Family Guy. and Columbia only because of Ghostbusters)
Reply 58
YankeeUK2008
That's good to know. So I could really get an MA in Government and still come out with a decent job in the UK?

I want to either go into banking, consulting or government work (preferably in public finance).

Yeah, why won't you just attend LSE instead? It would be cheaper too since LSE postgrad courses are 1 year only as opposed to 2 years at Harvard.

Alternatively, unis such as Warwick, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol and possibly King's College are excellent alternatives to Oxbridge. You can't go wrong with any of these well regarded universities.
Reply 59
mark renton
Iv only heard of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UCLA, MIT,NYU, Berkeley, Columbia and Brown. (and the latter only because of Family Guy. and Columbia only because of Ghostbusters)

You've never heard of Stanford yet, mate? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending