The Student Room Group

Need help in deciding Masters Program

I'm considering pursuing a master's in Aerospace Engineering in the UK this September and have secured admission from two reputable universities. I'm torn between the MSc in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Sheffield, which offers a comprehensive exploration of aerospace engineering with a focus on aerodynamic design, and the MSc Thermal Power and Propulsion - Aerospace Propulsion program at the University of Cranfield, a highly specialized course in propulsion systems.

While I'm passionate about propulsion, I'm concerned that opting for a highly specialized field might limit my post-graduation opportunities, given the limited number of companies manufacturing aircraft engines in the UK. On the other hand, aerodynamic design is crucial for various applications, even within startups working on drone technology.

My dilemma lies in choosing between the heart's inclination towards Cranfield and the mind favoring Sheffield. Considering my aspiration for a professional career in the UK, which program would be more beneficial in the long run?
Congrats on the two offers - I've moved your post to the postgrad apps section where hopefully you'll get some advice.
Reply 2
Thanks
Original post by iamhamid
I'm considering pursuing a master's in Aerospace Engineering in the UK this September and have secured admission from two reputable universities. I'm torn between the MSc in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Sheffield, which offers a comprehensive exploration of aerospace engineering with a focus on aerodynamic design, and the MSc Thermal Power and Propulsion - Aerospace Propulsion program at the University of Cranfield, a highly specialized course in propulsion systems.

While I'm passionate about propulsion, I'm concerned that opting for a highly specialized field might limit my post-graduation opportunities, given the limited number of companies manufacturing aircraft engines in the UK. On the other hand, aerodynamic design is crucial for various applications, even within startups working on drone technology.

My dilemma lies in choosing between the heart's inclination towards Cranfield and the mind favoring Sheffield. Considering my aspiration for a professional career in the UK, which program would be more beneficial in the long run?

Hi @iamhamid !

That's great you are considering studying a postgraduate course in Aerospace.

This MSc course you have chosen will allow you to pursue your interests and career aspirations, including an intensive industrial management course and a comprehensive background in aerospace propulsion systems.

Cranfield offers advanced postgraduate education and global recognition.

In this course, industry partners support students through guest lectures, prizes, and recruitment. The Industrial Advisory Panel maintains course relevancy, ensuring graduates possess necessary skills for leading employers (such as EasyJet and Rolls-Royce).

Cranfield courses are constantly evolving to meet business and industry needs, incorporating research interests and feedback from students, external examiners, and accreditation bodies.

Cranfield's academic staff, including researchers and tutors, have extensive experience in aerospace propulsion. The course is internationally renowned for its relevance and professionalism, collaborating with major engine manufacturers.

The Thermal Power and Propulsion MSc is accredited by RAES and IMechE, meeting CEng registration requirements. Candidates must hold a CEng accredited BEng/BSc first degree.

Cranfield also has very employability. We offer career coaching, CV development, interview practice, and access to hundreds of jobs. Over 90% of graduates find employment within the first year, with lifelong access to career resources.

Cranfield university is close to London, it is easy to take a quick train from Milton Keynes or Bedford, and therefore has this huge advantage because London is full of opportunities, shops and events. Our university itself is very quiet and peaceful though, so our students can focus on their studies without distractions if they wish.

Do you have any questions regarding life at Cranfield?

I will be very happy answering them.

Lucie :smile:
PhD Student
Student ambassador
Cranfield university.

Both strong options, but Cranfield is the one with the specific rep for anything/everything aviation.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Both strong options, but Cranfield is the one with the specific rep for anything/everything aviation.

@threeportdrift
Thanks for your suggestion.
Reply 6
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi @iamhamid !

That's great you are considering studying a postgraduate course in Aerospace.

This MSc course you have chosen will allow you to pursue your interests and career aspirations, including an intensive industrial management course and a comprehensive background in aerospace propulsion systems.

Cranfield offers advanced postgraduate education and global recognition.

In this course, industry partners support students through guest lectures, prizes, and recruitment. The Industrial Advisory Panel maintains course relevancy, ensuring graduates possess necessary skills for leading employers (such as EasyJet and Rolls-Royce).

Cranfield courses are constantly evolving to meet business and industry needs, incorporating research interests and feedback from students, external examiners, and accreditation bodies.

Cranfield's academic staff, including researchers and tutors, have extensive experience in aerospace propulsion. The course is internationally renowned for its relevance and professionalism, collaborating with major engine manufacturers.

The Thermal Power and Propulsion MSc is accredited by RAES and IMechE, meeting CEng registration requirements. Candidates must hold a CEng accredited BEng/BSc first degree.

Cranfield also has very employability. We offer career coaching, CV development, interview practice, and access to hundreds of jobs. Over 90% of graduates find employment within the first year, with lifelong access to career resources.

Cranfield university is close to London, it is easy to take a quick train from Milton Keynes or Bedford, and therefore has this huge advantage because London is full of opportunities, shops and events. Our university itself is very quiet and peaceful though, so our students can focus on their studies without distractions if they wish.

Do you have any questions regarding life at Cranfield?

I will be very happy answering them.

PhD Student
Student ambassador
Cranfield university.

@Cranfield University
Thank you for your detailed response. I have a few queries and would appreciate your assistance in clarifying them. Firstly, is there a procedure for securing a part-time internship in one of the labs during the course, particularly at the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre at Cranfield? Additionally, I noticed on the course website that some individual projects are sponsored by industrial partners. Could you provide more information on how these projects are sponsored?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks and regards,
Hamid
@Cranfield University
Thank you for your detailed response. I have a few queries and would appreciate your assistance in clarifying them. Firstly, is there a procedure for securing a part-time internship in one of the labs during the course, particularly at the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre at Cranfield? Additionally, I noticed on the course website that some individual projects are sponsored by industrial partners. Could you provide more information on how these projects are sponsored?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks and regards,
Hamid

Hi @iamhamid!

I do not know the answers myself but I called to admissions today, to direct me to the right person and unfortunately my call has not been answered.

I am going to try again on Monday, and let you know :smile:

Lucie
PhD Student
Student Ambassador
Cranfield University
Reply 8
Hi @iamhamid!

I do not know the answers myself but I called to admissions today, to direct me to the right person and unfortunately my call has not been answered.

I am going to try again on Monday, and let you know :smile:

Lucie
PhD Student
Student Ambassador
Cranfield University

@Cranfield University
Dear Lucie,
Thank you so much for your efforts. I really appreciate it. Actually, I tried to search for these over numerous University websites, but found nothing useful. I am counting on you now.
Looking forward for your response.
Thanks and regards
Muhammad Hamid
@Cranfield University
Dear Lucie,
Thank you so much for your efforts. I really appreciate it. Actually, I tried to search for these over numerous University websites, but found nothing useful. I am counting on you now.
Looking forward for your response.
Thanks and regards
Muhammad Hamid

Hi @iamhamid !

I contacted admissions and unfortunately they did not know the answer. They directed me to course director, so I am going to send him email asking your questions.

Hopefully he will answer.

PhD Student
Student ambassador
Cranfield University
Reply 10
Original post by undefined
Hi @iamhamid !

I contacted admissions and unfortunately they did not know the answer. They directed me to course director, so I am going to send him email asking your questions.

Hopefully he will answer.

PhD Student
Student ambassador
Cranfield University

@Cranfield University
Thank you so much for taking it further to the designated department, I am sure my query will get resolved. I highly appreciate your help and support.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks and regards
Muhammad Hamid
@Cranfield University
Thank you so much for taking it further to the designated department, I am sure my query will get resolved. I highly appreciate your help and support.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks and regards
Muhammad Hamid

Hi @iamhamid.

I have recieved a response from Dr. Theoklis Nikolaidis

"Dear Lucie,
We do not offer PT internships as the course is quite intense and there is no time for this.

Regarding the research projects sponsored by the industry, these are arranged by the academic team and they are available to the students when they register. Then a selection process is taken place where the projects are allocated to the students.
We do have funding opportunities but the applicant should apply following the process mentioned in the website."

I am aware it did not help much but it is all information we can get for you at the moment.

Let us know if you need anything else. :smile:

Lucie
PhD student
Student ambassador
Cranfield university
Reply 12
Hi @iamhamid.

I have recieved a response from Dr. Theoklis Nikolaidis

"Dear Lucie,
We do not offer PT internships as the course is quite intense and there is no time for this.

Regarding the research projects sponsored by the industry, these are arranged by the academic team and they are available to the students when they register. Then a selection process is taken place where the projects are allocated to the students.
We do have funding opportunities but the applicant should apply following the process mentioned in the website."

I am aware it did not help much but it is all information we can get for you at the moment.

Let us know if you need anything else. :smile:

Lucie
PhD student
Student ambassador
Cranfield university

@Cranfield University
Dear Lucie,

I am utterly satisfied with the information you gathered. I am very delighted to know about the sponsored research projects that the department offers.

All that matters is the oppertunity that the course offers, it's upto me now to be able to utilise it when it is around.

I sincerely appreciate your support.

Kind regards.

Hamid
(edited 3 months ago)
@Cranfield University
Dear Lucie,

I am utterly satisfied with the information you gathered. I am very delighted to know about the sponsored research projects that the department offers.

All that matters is the oppertunity that the course offers, it's upto me now to be able to utilise it when it is around.

I sincerely appreciate your support.

Kind regards.

Hamid

That was a pleasure.

Please let us know how you decided :smile:

Lucie
PhD Student
Student ambassador
Cranfield university
Reply 14
That was a pleasure.

Please let us know how you decided :smile:

Lucie
PhD Student
Student ambassador
Cranfield university

@Cranfield University
I am looking forward to accepting my offer and finalize the remaining procedures.
I highly appreciate your support.
Kind regards
Hamid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending