The Student Room Group

How difficult will be switching job (both designation and company) for the first time

Hey there everyone, I am a CSE B.Tech (equivalent to B.E.) undergrad student from India, and currently I am in my final year of education. I have been offered a job by TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) as a System Engineer Trainee (with 100% conversion), I am hoping you have heard that name. It is quite a big IT firm with largest market cap among all the other Indian companies. And I will be joining on completion of my graduation.

Well, here is the issue, Neither am I satisfied with my job designation nor the salary, but considering my current financial situation I have decided to take the job. Also I have decided to switch after working for TCS for a couple of years.

What I am unsure of is that how difficult will it be to switch from TCS to a product based company as a Data Science Engineer? Yes I want to be a Data Scientist (I actually like Data Science a lot).

However in the long run, money is my only motivation. I want earn a lot, not just working as an IT developer , but as an investment banker maybe, or something else.

The point is I am a quick learner and can pick up any skill and get considerably good at it. And I want to earn a lot. And I am ready to switch my career (in the long run). So what should my next step be? And how difficult will it be?

Thanks in advance.
Why don't you you get involved in the data science community for a start? You're not gonna hit the echelons of the Kaggle leaderboard overnight, but know that many of the people on there started off doing it as a side hobby.

Famous story last year of Giberto Titericz, who did at as a leisure activity in Brazil and then was aggressively sought by silicon valley. He ended up at AirBnB (who have some pretty awesome algorithms)

Gilberto Titericz, an electrical engineer at Brazil’s state oil company Petrobras, told his boss he planned to resign, after seven years maintaining sensors and other hardware in oil plants. By devoting hundreds of hours of leisure time to the obscure world of competitive data analysis, Titericz had recently become the world’s top-ranked data scientist, by one reckoning. Silicon Valley was calling. “Only when I wanted to quit did they realize they had the number-one data scientist,” he says.
https://www.wired.com/story/solve-these-tough-data-problems-and-watch-job-offers-roll-in/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending