The Student Room Group

How to make money/find temp job

Hi, I'm going to be very straight forward here, I am in 5000 pound student debt and the dumb bank's interest kept on rising. I tried to find jobs on Linkdln and posted gigs on Fiverr. Neither are working, I also tried to make a youtube channel and failed miserably. For the Fiverr gig, people sent me messages but they always want to contact me on telegram but not on the official Fiverr website which just seemed like such a scam to me especially since I have already fallen victim to one of those scams. For the youtube channel, I know what content I want to talk about, say about mystery plane crashes etc. I can write out the script ok, I can voice over the script ok. But I simply can't find the right stock footage, the ones that are actually good have a giant watermark behind them. If this keeps up I will be evicted from my apartment soon. Someone please help me!
Original post by Happy homer
Hi, I'm going to be very straight forward here, I am in 5000 pound student debt and the dumb bank's interest kept on rising. I tried to find jobs on Linkdln and posted gigs on Fiverr. Neither are working, I also tried to make a youtube channel and failed miserably. For the Fiverr gig, people sent me messages but they always want to contact me on telegram but not on the official Fiverr website which just seemed like such a scam to me especially since I have already fallen victim to one of those scams. For the youtube channel, I know what content I want to talk about, say about mystery plane crashes etc. I can write out the script ok, I can voice over the script ok. But I simply can't find the right stock footage, the ones that are actually good have a giant watermark behind them. If this keeps up I will be evicted from my apartment soon. Someone please help me!

What sort of job are you looking for?

What are you offering on Fiverr?

Youtube is a long term game; it's not something for overnight success.
I know creative commons content is severely restricted, but would you be able to find anything? If not, you can try to put footage on a greenscreen and appear in front of it talking about the plane crashes (not sure whether this would constittute a violation though, so it's still better to speak to YouTube just to be sure).
Mysterious plane crashes is also a bit niche. Have you checked the data and the research on how many people are searching for such terms?
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
What sort of job are you looking for?

What are you offering on Fiverr?

Youtube is a long term game; it's not something for overnight success.
I know creative commons content is severely restricted, but would you be able to find anything? If not, you can try to put footage on a greenscreen and appear in front of it talking about the plane crashes (not sure whether this would constittute a violation though, so it's still better to speak to YouTube just to be sure).
Mysterious plane crashes is also a bit niche. Have you checked the data and the research on how many people are searching for such terms?

I am offering several things on Fiverr, first is a translate job for English to German, and a Web design agency. Yes, I pretty much given up hope on both though. Most of my leads on Fiverr are so clearly scams they all don't want to talk on Fiverr and once they send me one message I can't contact them anymore. Please, right now I just need to have a mean of making money. I make high quality websites but I can't find any customers :frown:
I am offering several things on Fiverr, first is a translate job for English to German, and a Web design agency. Yes, I pretty much given up hope on both though. Most of my leads on Fiverr are so clearly scams they all don't want to talk on Fiverr and once they send me one message I can't contact them anymore. Please, right now I just need to have a mean of making money. I make high quality websites but I can't find any customers :frown:

I am not sure how you approached this or how much research you have done on what services are popular, but it's generally not particularly easy. In more cases than not, it's very likely a marketing problem.

In terms of job applications, if you have done any jobs in web design or translation, I suppose it would add to your CV.

You sometimes get some results on websites like reed.co.uk or CV Library, but you would need to stay consistent with your efforts (hundreds of applications) and need to wait for a few months for a reply.

Translation jobs generally don't pay particularly much (e.g. £14k-25k, possibly), unless it's something linked to sales. Web design tend to pay a bit more (in some cases substantially more), although there's quite a bit of competition.

Just out of interest, what degree did you do and did you try to pursue the careers that naturally followed from it?

What really helped me in terms of job hunting was the networking. Knowing people on the inside or knowing connections who are in charge of the hiring decisions really helps with speeding up the hiring decision or process. This is particularly effective if there is a lot of competition for the job, and it saves HR from going through too many CVs.
In more cases than not, you usually get more success with small and medium sized companies than you do with the mega conglomerates - too much competition and too much attention.
If you want to work with recruitment agencies to hunt for jobs, you can but it's likely they would be targeting medium and large companies, and you can only really stand out if you have relevant experience (in years). However, these companies can take months to get back to you, unless they're based in a city (e.g. London, where they can get back to you in weeks).

If you specifically want a web design job, then I would recommend you put together a portfolio that you can show off to employers. It's usually helps a lot.

Disclaimer: I don't work in translation, recruitment, or web design. The above is based on my experience
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
I am not sure how you approached this or how much research you have done on what services are popular, but it's generally not particularly easy. In more cases than not, it's very likely a marketing problem.

In terms of job applications, if you have done any jobs in web design or translation, I suppose it would add to your CV.

You sometimes get some results on websites like reed.co.uk or CV Library, but you would need to stay consistent with your efforts (hundreds of applications) and need to wait for a few months for a reply.

Translation jobs generally don't pay particularly much (e.g. £14k-25k, possibly), unless it's something linked to sales. Web design tend to pay a bit more (in some cases substantially more), although there's quite a bit of competition.

Just out of interest, what degree did you do and did you try to pursue the careers that naturally followed from it?

What really helped me in terms of job hunting was the networking. Knowing people on the inside or knowing connections who are in charge of the hiring decisions really helps with speeding up the hiring decision or process. This is particularly effective if there is a lot of competition for the job, and it saves HR from going through too many CVs.
In more cases than not, you usually get more success with small and medium sized companies than you do with the mega conglomerates - too much competition and too much attention.
If you want to work with recruitment agencies to hunt for jobs, you can but it's likely they would be targeting medium and large companies, and you can only really stand out if you have relevant experience (in years). However, these companies can take months to get back to you, unless they're based in a city (e.g. London, where they can get back to you in weeks).

If you specifically want a web design job, then I would recommend you put together a portfolio that you can show off to employers. It's usually helps a lot.

Disclaimer: I don't work in translation, recruitment, or web design. The above is based on my experience

I studied communications in University...I know, I don't know why I chose it. I don't actually have any actual experience in web design, could you please tell me in more detailed on the translation job? I'm quite interested in that :smile:
I studied communications in University...I know, I don't know why I chose it. I don't actually have any actual experience in web design, could you please tell me in more detailed on the translation job? I'm quite interested in that :smile:

I don't actually have any actual experience in web design
One of the ways I heard that you can get into a line of business with no experience is if you do something for free in return for a few testimonials. This is not particularly easy, because the majority of businesses and professionals are looking for people with experience; so you would be shifting through a lot of leads before you can find a hit. What would really make you stand out is if you have a portfiolio of sample designs, which doesn't require you to have prior experience.
I would still have a portfolio if you intend to go into web design as a job in the longer term.

could you please tell me in more detailed on the translation job?
I'm not an expert in this, but what I see being very marketable are usually people who work in legal (to translate legal documents) or work in government services. Whilst you can look for marketing/ad agencies that offer niched marketing in specific international markets or local markets, but it's pretty difficult.
The places where you are almost guaranteed to find translators are places near airports, seaports, international logistics companies.

There might be some agencies in multicultural areas (e.g. London) where they might offer translation services, and specifically work in translation/admin, but these are not common and you would really need to network around.

If you want to go into a sales job, they tend to pay a lot more than straight translation, but you often need to be good with selling in the first place. A lot of places in finance can cater to people with multiple languages (front office roles), so you should be OK getting jobs there if you have a good network of high net worth german speakers to sell to. Likewise, you can work in any company that does international sales and have strong relations to the EU (predominantly Germany, but also neighbouring countries like Belgium, Austria, etc.)

See the following:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/translator
https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/job-descriptions/translator-job-description
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/translator

You usually don't need specific qualifications to become a translator, but you would often need to be very proficient in the language (e..g degree level or native level fluency).
Reply 6
thx

I don't actually have any actual experience in web design
One of the ways I heard that you can get into a line of business with no experience is if you do something for free in return for a few testimonials. This is not particularly easy, because the majority of businesses and professionals are looking for people with experience; so you would be shifting through a lot of leads before you can find a hit. What would really make you stand out is if you have a portfiolio of sample designs, which doesn't require you to have prior experience.
I would still have a portfolio if you intend to go into web design as a job in the longer term.

could you please tell me in more detailed on the translation job?
I'm not an expert in this, but what I see being very marketable are usually people who work in legal (to translate legal documents) or work in government services. Whilst you can look for marketing/ad agencies that offer niched marketing in specific international markets or local markets, but it's pretty difficult.
The places where you are almost guaranteed to find translators are places near airports, seaports, international logistics companies.

There might be some agencies in multicultural areas (e.g. London) where they might offer translation services, and specifically work in translation/admin, but these are not common and you would really need to network around.

If you want to go into a sales job, they tend to pay a lot more than straight translation, but you often need to be good with selling in the first place. A lot of places in finance can cater to people with multiple languages (front office roles), so you should be OK getting jobs there if you have a good network of high net worth german speakers to sell to. Likewise, you can work in any company that does international sales and have strong relations to the EU (predominantly Germany, but also neighbouring countries like Belgium, Austria, etc.)

See the following:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/translator
https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/job-descriptions/translator-job-description
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/translator

You usually don't need specific qualifications to become a translator, but you would often need to be very proficient in the language (e..g degree level or native level fluency).
thx

Forgot to mention: for the heads up, if you intend to pay off your debt as soon as you can, you would be looking for a high paying job (obviously) whilst living at home (and not paying for anything). A £20k job should allow you to pay off the debt in a few months to 6 months. If you're working in a job that pays £13k-16k, you're looking at 6 months - 1 year, assuming you don't have any other expenses other than the basic phone bill, Netflix, lunch money, and travel costs (unless you have to travel to work that's over an hour away on a daily basis).

Remote work is also an option, but it's not likely something you can get easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending