The Student Room Group

Unemployed

I need a part time summer job to help fund uni but no one wants to hire me…
What I can I do besides editing my cv ?( I do so quite often)
Original post by Tryingmybest27
I need a part time summer job to help fund uni but no one wants to hire me…
What I can I do besides editing my cv ?( I do so quite often)

Network. I presume you have friends who have jobs. See if they can hook you up; it's usually a faster way of getting through the application process.

Get short certificates that are necessary for specific industries. Certain certificates are helpful for specific types of jobs e.g. CSCS for construction work, hygiene certificate for kitchen work, NPLQ for lifeguarding, etc. These certificates need to be nationally recognised and recognised by the industry (otherwise it's pretty pointless). I don't know which industries you're applying to (a number of them won't need anything more than GCSEs), so it's difficult to advise. I would use websites like the following to do your research:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sectors

Gather any projects that you have done. If this is relevant for the specific industry you want to go into (e.g. IT, design, etc.), then having a portfolio that you can publish online on a blog or website would help you gather evidence of your skills.

Try to apply speculatively. This usually means turning up in person at the place of business and ask for vacancies. Showing enthusiasm is usually an indication that you're a better hire than someone who emails everyone in the company. This approach usually works better for small and medium sized companies where the hiring process is less regimented.

Look at which specific industries are hiring people with little to no experience. The more common places that hire people with no experience for temp or part time work include: hospitality, care, factory, retail, supermarkets. I would broaden this scope to include industries that you are less likely to think of, including construction and road work, education, sports. Do check to see if they require specific certificates or experience before applying.

Apply through temp job agencies. For industries that are looking for people to hire (e..g care work, hospitality), this can be a great way of getting your first job.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Network. I presume you have friends who have jobs. See if they can hook you up; it's usually a faster way of getting through the application process.

Get short certificates that are necessary for specific industries. Certain certificates are helpful for specific types of jobs e.g. CSCS for construction work, hygiene certificate for kitchen work, NPLQ for lifeguarding, etc. These certificates need to be nationally recognised and recognised by the industry (otherwise it's pretty pointless). I don't know which industries you're applying to (a number of them won't need anything more than GCSEs), so it's difficult to advise. I would use websites like the following to do your research:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sectors

Gather any projects that you have done. If this is relevant for the specific industry you want to go into (e.g. IT, design, etc.), then having a portfolio that you can publish online on a blog or website would help you gather evidence of your skills.

Try to apply speculatively. This usually means turning up in person at the place of business and ask for vacancies. Showing enthusiasm is usually an indication that you're a better hire than someone who emails everyone in the company. This approach usually works better for small and medium sized companies where the hiring process is less regimented.

Look at which specific industries are hiring people with little to no experience. The more common places that hire people with no experience for temp or part time work include: hospitality, care, factory, retail, supermarkets. I would broaden this scope to include industries that you are less likely to think of, including construction and road work, education, sports. Do check to see if they require specific certificates or experience before applying.

Apply through temp job agencies. For industries that are looking for people to hire (e..g care work, hospitality), this can be a great way of getting your first job.

Thank you so much !!!
I think I will try to work with an agency :smile: and apply speculatively like you suggested at a couple more stores.
Your reply has been a great help !!😊😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending