The Student Room Group

How should students' unrealistic ambitions be handled?

Footballer? YouTuber? A balance can be struck between widening horizons and laying the groundwork.

What do we do when a student’s stated ambitions seem to us to be improbable?

We should not be surprised when pupils do not demonstrate a good understanding of the working world and its demands. They have no or very little direct experience of it, their indirect experience will often be very narrow and limited, and currently little time is given in most schools for them to be explicitly taught about it.

Teachers sometimes despair when pupils express a desire to be a footballer, a rapper or, more lately, a YouTuber. But we can do much better than to merely roll our eyes.

We should first be mindful that although some jobs may seem “unrealistic”, every person doing them now was a child themselves once.

We might look to widen the target area. Performer is not the only job in entertainment, YouTuber is not the only job in new media, footballer is not the only job in football. Pupils’ interest in specific careers we know to be highly competitive may lead to something related, even if their ambitions end up evolving over time.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends on the age of the pupil. An 11 year old who wants to become a YouTuber, great. Encourage them to learn about cameras, video techniques, directing, etc. Whether or not they become a professional YouTuber, they'll have learnt new skills.

On the other hand, if it's a 17/18 year old who is set on becoming a YouTuber (despite not having a successful channel currently) and refuses to consider a back up plan, whether that's getting a job or going to uni, then they need a reality check.

This also applies for things like medicine. An 11 year old who wants to be a doctor, even if he's not currently the most academic kid, should be encouraged to work hard at it. An 18 year old applying to medical schools with CCC predictions needs to be encouraged to think realistically about if there's something else they could do instead, or a different route they could take.
I feel passionately about this. I wanted to be a musician, particularly singer/songwriter. Played gigs (including large festivals with thousands) and thought I was going to be the next best thing.

At school, I spent a few years mostly paying little attention to my studies (other than music) until my computing teacher took me aside and told me I was going crash and burn my Higher Computing, and that whilst she knew all I wanted to do was be a musician, I had to work towards a plan B, because music was down to a lot of luck, not just talent. She grilled me, but in a positive way - saying that I had to be realistic about my expectations. Push for music, but also push for Plan B. Don't put all my eggs in one basket. I remember her saying 'The effort you put in these next two weeks could determine the rest of your life'.

I worked hard, and bounced back to get an A in higher computing. I enjoyed Computing a lot, and ended up studying it for 4 years at uni, then back as a postgraduate. Throughout all of this, I still played gigs, trying to get noticed.

I then went on to work as a Cloud Developer, building Artificial Intelligence in the Cloud. I still play gigs on weekends and pubs, and small venues.

My teacher's words stick with me today, and I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for them. THAT is what needs to happen more often. Positive but constructive advice from teachers about career. Reassuring people *not* to give up on their dreams, but to establish a fallback position. People have to be realistic, and there is no long-term harm in advising this.

I still consider myself a musician, I'm playing and earning regularly. My dream hasn't changed, it's just adjust to accommodate a realistic life. And I couldn't be happier.
I can resonate with a lot of what has already been said on here regards 'unrealistic expectations'. and a lack of realism within the UK education system.

Now, I was born before the advent of Facebook, YouTube, Smartphones, (year 1990),so its slightly different for me, in that I did not want to become a YouTuber. I wanted to be famous, earn lots of money, and had no real realistic plan. I think this was partially because of going to a poor secondary school, with ill-advised careers support, but also I did not attain great grades upon leaving. So I could not go with whatever I wanted; I had to go into something which required lower grades - but still enjoyed - which was Graphic Design.

I kind of had an unrealistic view of the job market at the time, you always think it is easier to find work and you'll graduate University, and life will all be roses afterwards. This couldn't be far from the truth, unless your particularly well connected, already have years of relevant industry exp, or have wealthy parents to rely on.

The most important point is to have a plan B. Always have a 2nd plan and even a 3rd one. Sometimes life doesn't fall in your lap the way you want it too, despite all the effort in the world. Luck is needed to some degree in whatever endeavour you choose (sad but true).

I'm only just beginning to realise what I actually want to be doing at age 28. This is partially down to my own poor choices, bad outcomes, and of course (in equal measure) I am a product of a broken ed system. Pupils / Students / Graduates need to be better informed, and for this to happen the Gov needs to be increasing the budget and spends on reformed education.

I'm in a different place now, than what I was, I have my degree, have graduated, although working in an unrelated field earning practically nothing, but I have a better direction than I did have.

I think more investment needs to happen with retraining people, up to graduate level. So if they graduate more doors are actually opened (not just metaphorically), and people can retrain and be supported by government initiatives, (more fast-track schemes and accelerated learning routes), and more opportunity for people aged 18+ to take GCSEs without having to pay.

I see a failure to get GCSEs (at least 5 A*-C) as a failure of schools and teachers. So therefore it should be free to anybody to have a second go - particularly Eng and Maths. It is very limited the scope to retake, and usually in the hands of lifelong learning and local councils or FE colleges (which often charge!).
Original post by just_fake_news

Teachers sometimes despair when pupils express a desire to be a footballer, a rapper or, more lately, a YouTuber. But we can do much better than to merely roll our eyes.

Just about every footballer or successful person has a story about being told they couldn't do what they ended up achieving. For me people should follow their dreams but with a cut off period and plan b in mind.
Original post by ByEeek
Just about every footballer or successful person has a story about being told they couldn't do what they ended up achieving. For me people should follow their dreams but with a cut off period and plan b in mind.

The problem and the risk comes when you consider that most people who are the top of the top in a certain field, devoted themselves entirely to that field and nothing else. So you get a problem..

If you say work 100% to your dream goal.. you are more likely to achieve it, but if you don't your in trouble
If you work 70% to your dream goal and 30% to your backup plan.. you are less likely to achieve it, but if you don't you have something to fall back on

Its a hard ballance to have, and one that will end in disapointment for a lot of people either way.
Footballer? YouTuber? A balance can be struck between widening horizons and laying the groundwork.

We should not be surprised when pupils do not demonstrate a good understanding of the working world and its demands. They have no or very little direct experience of it, their indirect experience will often be very narrow and limited, and currently little time is given in most schools for them to be explicitly taught about it.

We should first be mindful that although some jobs may seem “unrealistic”, every person doing them now was a child themselves once.

We might look to widen the target area. Performer is not the only job in entertainment, YouTuber is not the only job in new media, footballer is not the only job in football. Pupils’ interest in specific careers we know to be highly competitive may lead to something related, even if their ambitions end up evolving over time.

What do you think?

Ive seen this first hand in two different countries.

When I worked in schools in the UK, it was all.. celebrity, actor, musician, millionare (as if that was a job), youtuber, instagram model etc.
When i worked in schools in China, it was.. doctor, nurse, teacher, scientist, etc.

Its not something schools can easily fix, because its a cultural issue - celebrity culture has infected us for most of the last century.. but it only really became a big problem with the advent of the internet. Before the internet, yes people wanted to be a celebrity.. but the gap between you and the people you saw at the movies was huge and made your life feel ok, because it felt like two entirely different and non-connected worlds.

But with the internet, now the worlds are joined. Firstly we can see in more detail than ever just how the other half live.. leading to more ambition, more jealousy, and more resentment when you don't get it... and its also oppened the door to the idea that anyone can be famous. It is true that the internet has made it easier for you to be famous of sorts, but the numbers are still similar to the old days, its still only the top tiny % that will ever achieve great success.

Schools can try and react to the problem.. they can try and give people sensible advice, but they can't solve the problem because they are not the cause. Shifts in society, largely driven by technological change are the cause.
Reply 7
it's not teachers' responsibility to couch kids to take a 'realistic' career path. at least where i'm from (Canada), if i wanted to do XYZ for a living no teacher would try to talk me out of it. they're there to teach and give me tools so that i can make decisions for myself; that's it.

i understand the sentiment but i disagree with OP's definition of 'realistic'. very few things are 'unrealistic'- but there are a million 'unrealistic' ways of getting there. also for some people, it might be more 'realistic' to play football or become a youtuber than a journalist or a mathematician since they suck at school and are a terrible reader.

i really don't care if people 'reach of the stars' and fail tbh. it has no affect on my life. btw those who live in poverty and/or claim benefits usually aren't the people who 'reach for the stars' and fail. they never dreamt such a thing in the first place since they probably grew up in that class. imo it's usually the middle-class folk who have options and a safety net like mom/dad's bank account that take risks. but i don't have time to look up a source for that. :smile:
Original post by royal1990

I see a failure to get GCSEs (at least 5 A*-C) as a failure of schools and teachers. So therefore it should be free to anybody to have a second go - particularly Eng and Maths. It is very limited the scope to retake, and usually in the hands of lifelong learning and local councils or FE colleges (which often charge!).

Why is it the teacher's fault? I am a Primary school teacher so it's different for me, but I have lots of Secondary teacher friends and they are overworked, underpaid and expected to achieve unrealistic goals. The simple matter is that you can't magic an A* out of nowhere. The focus should be less on everyone getting outstanding grades, and more on helping youngsters achieve things that are realistic. More vocational qualifications, less pressure on teachers to achieve 100% A*-C regardless of the academic attainment or ability level of the children in their classes.
I think we all know there are careers advisers who listen to students and try and give what advice they can, and the ones who have to google what you said then say it's unrealistic as they don't understand it :P

During a contract changeover i had to sign on for a wee while, and they basically twisted my arm into a careers advice session, it was downright hilarious, apparently my industry (Horticulture) is unrealistic and oversaturated and i'd struggle to earn because 'not many people want their garden done now' :tongue: This was coming from a middle aged man that had to buy special trousers to hold in his gut and whos aim in life was apparently to earn slightly more than min wage as 2nd line staff for a downsizing employer, i had to point out that even including this perioid on benefits i'd earned significantly more than him and could tell people where I worked without risk of them hating me. :rolleyes:
Children can only be expected to be as good as their parents/ adults in general.

Many adults in the UK are utter disgraces- they act so morose, solipsistic, focussed only on their immediate family if that.

Children might be overusing mobile phones and the internet but it is an escape from their terrible 'communities'.
-Help them gain the skills they need for their unrealistic ambitions. Skills are useful.

-Help them broaden their horizons. So they aren't focused on one thing completely.

-Help them come up with a plan b, you always need a plan b, and c sometimes.
Original post by Joleee
it's not teachers' responsibility to couch kids to take a 'realistic' career path. at least where i'm from (Canada), if i wanted to do XYZ for a living no teacher would try to talk me out of it. they're there to teach and give me tools so that i can make decisions for myself; that's it.

You don't get careers advice in Canada? Damn. That's not a good thing. The problem is that the choices you make at school do affect your life - what subjects you study limit the jobs and university courses you can do. The UK has a particularly narrow pre-university syllabus, usually 3 subjects, which means you are automatically narrowing down your options at age 16. If you are pursuing an unrealistic career at that age you might miss out on doing something you would still enjoy and that is worthwhile, but isn't the top of your list.

i really don't care if people 'reach of the stars' and fail tbh. it has no affect[sic] on my life. :smile:

Well that's nice of you. But parents should care if their children are aiming realistically and likely to fail or not. So should schools, universities, and society in general.
I think you can have any career aim you want. Why shouldn't someone aspire to be a YouTuber for example? But there are two things that I think are important.

1) That they actively work towards their desired role, for example actually setting up a YouTube channel and posting some content, or learning about recording and marketing etc (because it's much more complicated than uploading a video and waiting for the money to roll in).
2) They have a backup plan. I don't think it matters how realistic your career plan is - a backup plan is always a good idea, and this is something that everyone should have.

Tbh, I was clueless about what I wanted to do full stop right up until I graduated, and then I ended up in what lots of people would most likely consider to be an "unrealistic job" and you know what, I'm glad nobody told me it was unrealistic. Well actually, okay, they did - but I'm glad I ignored them all!
I don't think its a question of handling other people's ambitions, rather teaching them the importance of balancing their dreams with other aspects of life.
How to formulate a plan b, be willing to make alternative plans if your interests or circumstances change, make the most of opportunities that present themselves.

Who would have deemed the schoolboy ambitions of David Beckham, Ashley Cole or Wayne Rooney as realistic.
Yet they achieved their dreams, became international celebrities and have made extensive fortunes.
The rewards of perseverance, a strong work ethic, grueling training/dietary regime and taking advantage of the contacts/opportunities that came their way.
Original post by londonmyst
I don't think its a question of handling other people's ambitions, rather teaching them the importance of balancing their dreams with other aspects of life.
How to formulate a plan b, be willing to make alternative plans if your interests or circumstances change, make the most of opportunities that present themselves.

Who would have deemed the schoolboy ambitions of David Beckham, Ashley Cole or Wayne Rooney as realistic.
Yet they achieved their dreams, became international celebrities and have made extensive fortunes.
The rewards of perseverance, a strong work ethic, grueling training/dietary regime and taking advantage of the contacts/opportunities that came their way.

Good advice about plan b etc. But the problem with your football example is that are starting with the successes and looking back (a survivorship bias in statistical terms).

You should check out Michael Calvin's book No Hunger in Paradise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZKmBsubaos

Of all the kids who enter pro academies at age 9 (i.e. the best kids at their age), less than half a percent will become pro. It is not good advice to set children on such a path without very strong support and back-up plans.

And you're totally ignoring the role of genetics and luck, which are a huge part of sporting (and life) success.

And by the way, many people deemed the ambition of Beckham et al as realistic - they were in academies, played schoolboys for their country - Wayne Rooney played in the prem as a schoolkid I think.
Original post by StrangeLilBean
I think it depends on the age of the pupil. An 11 year old who wants to become a YouTuber, great. Encourage them to learn about cameras, video techniques, directing, etc. Whether or not they become a professional YouTuber, they'll have learnt new skills.

On the other hand, if it's a 17/18 year old who is set on becoming a YouTuber (despite not having a successful channel currently) and refuses to consider a back up plan, whether that's getting a job or going to uni, then they need a reality check.

This also applies for things like medicine. An 11 year old who wants to be a doctor, even if he's not currently the most academic kid, should be encouraged to work hard at it. An 18 year old applying to medical schools with CCC predictions needs to be encouraged to think realistically about if there's something else they could do instead, or a different route they could take.

I agree
Work is probably 50% of your life right up until you are 65.If you choose a job you hate that's 50% of your life gone isn't it?
Call me naive but I'd prefer to enjoy my entire life not just abandon 50% of it.Life is far too short to do something you hate for years and years.Its not like you are going to get another shot at it.

What do you think?

Depends on age. If they aren't doing proper exams - let them dream. But when a 18 year old wants to do that and doesn't have a backup plan... that's a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending