The Student Room Group

Why are so many people so goddamn stupid and hurtful?

Look at the politically correct people in USA who believe in "self-identifying" anything.

Look at Justin Trudeau repeatedly getting owned and not telling people the truth.

Look at Obama who had presented the "gender pay gap" as some kind of massive inequality when in fact there are multiple factors to consider.

Look at the YouTube comments section.

Look at religious groups burning each other alive because of their guidebooks and indoctrinated parents.

Why are people so FRICKING stupid and why can't they just lead civilised lives?

Why do they need to act like mongrel-sheep?

Why do they need to shut out others as they're trying to "get their voice heard"?

Why...

... are people sometimes... so disgustingly uncivilised and stupid?

What's the solution to cure stupidity (seriously)?
What's the solution to cure immorality?

And what happens when you combine brains to AI symbiotically to become super smart - do you think morality will come easier as humans are able to explore topics much faster - or is it too early to say?

Scroll to see replies

The older generation wonder why the younger ones are unable to have proper debates and would rather fight for the sake of fighting :wink:
Reply 2
QUOTE=hello_shawn;81181132]The older generation wonder why the younger ones are unable to have proper debates and would rather fight for the sake of fighting :wink:

I know right, I can empathize with you seeing as you're incredibly ancient. But isn't just so sad I mean the old are just so thuggish and criminal now a days. Last week I was telling Old Margo to pick up the do sh** off the floor and she raged and broke a glass on her head. At least the young know to stick the glass up the ass.
Reply 3
Lòok at all these things i dislike.
Because i dont like them they're objectively bad and evil.
If you like them you have big stupid and bad
Reply 4
Original post by Zasty

Mommy was happy before she made Zasty. And when she made Zasty she became quite Nasty with a sickie wickie lickie Kluck the da's willy on the drippy cause Bithy got the stiffy - uh?
Original post by Kiritsugu

Look at the politically correct people in USA who believe in "self-identifying" anything.

Look at Justin Trudeau repeatedly getting owned and not telling people the truth.

Look at Obama who had presented the "gender pay gap" as some kind of massive inequality when in fact there are multiple factors to consider.

Look at religious groups burning each other alive because of their guidebooks and indoctrinated parents.

Why do they need to shut out others as they're trying to "get their voice heard"?

Why...

And what happens when you combine brains to AI symbiotically to become super smart - do you think morality will come easier as humans are able to explore topics much faster - or is it too early to say?

I self-identify as this post.
Reply 6

Why...

Can't agree more.

The sheer obsession in political correctness is driving humanity into a vortex of despair.

Take RADICAL feminists as an example. They blindly demand better rights, higher paid jobs, etc, without considering many contextual and practical points. For instance, they demand more bathrooms as they are the ones who often queue. I fully apprehend that there's fundamental and physical differences between the genders, but on the other hand do men get more food if they pay the same money? No. However men physiologically demand a higher caloric intake. Female athletes argue that they should pay as much as their male counterparts. But think about the number of viewers and sponsorship. In fact, as a percentage of total income generated by the industry, women already get more money than men (as a proportion of courser). Male sportsmen earn higher numbers as they bring in MUCH MUCH more money into the business.

Now consider jobs. Yes, admittedly women are ill-treated in the field of science in the course history. But that has changed already, in an irreversible fashion. In fact, women are a third more likely to get admitted into science courses (2017 UCAS), with 30,000 entries than their male counterparts. Is this a step too far? From "BEING EQUAL"?

Women are eager to climb the social ladder and are constantly striving for better opportunities. They also complain about how they are "confined" in stereotypical low-paying "caring" jobs for instance nursing. Hey. Look out for the dude brick-layer, who help constructed your house, brick by brick. The construction workers, who arguably have the dirtiest, most physically-demanding and tiring job. Pay attention to the front-line soldiers, almost all male, fighting to their last drop of blood to uphold national pride...

Let's suppose we achieved a 50/50 split between all jobs, all equally paid between the genders. Do we now have a better world?

So are you saying that if someone leads a "cursed" life, they just have to choose to lead a good life?
Or if someone is poor, they just have to choose to be rich?
Original post by Mateoita
Can't agree more.

The sheer obsession in political correctness is driving humanity into a vortex of despair.

Take RADICAL feminists as an example. They blindly demand better rights, higher paid jobs, etc, without considering many contextual and practical points. For instance, they demand more bathrooms as they are the ones who often queue. I fully apprehend that there's fundamental and physical differences between the genders, but on the other hand do men get more food if they pay the same money? No. However men physiologically demand a higher caloric intake. Female athletes argue that they should pay as much as their male counterparts. But think about the number of viewers and sponsorship. In fact, as a percentage of total income generated by the industry, women already get more money than men (as a proportion of courser). Male sportsmen earn higher numbers as they bring in MUCH MUCH more money into the business.

There is nothing like taking the views of one or two individuals and then extrapolating those views onto a wider group of people before dehumanising them as "they". Who are these people you are talking about? Do they even exist other than in your mind? What are their names?
Oh gosh
American SJW culture is pretty toxic and making everyone progress backwards in terms of maturity and personal growth.

Closing your eyes to anything you don't like will make you stagnate as a person.

It's really intolerant. You can't discuss important issues with people like that because they just troll you lol.
Reply 11
The short answer to the OPs question is because life is essentially meaningless and what people think really doesn’t matter.
Original post by ChickenMadness
It's really intolerant. You can't discuss important issues with people like that because they just troll you lol.

Of course you can. But are internet forums really the best place to discuss societal issues? Why not face to face like in the good old days? I can't help feel that those people who shut the argument down without question are as bad as those who feel that verbally assaulting people is a right in the name of "free speech".

Just be nice!
Original post by ByEeek
Of course you can. But are internet forums really the best place to discuss societal issues? Why not face to face like in the good old days? I can't help feel that those people who shut the argument down without question are as bad as those who feel that verbally assaulting people is a right in the name of "free speech".

Just be nice!

yes. just be nice.
Reply 14
Original post by hello_shawn
The older generation wonder why the younger ones are unable to have proper debates and would rather fight for the sake of fighting :wink:

While I generally agree with this, it's not always black and white, 2-sided. For instance, there are many "old" people who fight for the sake of fighting and many young civilised people who enjoy debating.
Original post by Zasty

If you're implying that this is how most people behave, I would agree - most people are not constantly self-evaluating.
If you're implying that's how I appeared, I am not so arrogant as to proclaim myself as the arbiter of morality - why do you think I asked for "solutions" from other people?
Original post by Trust Orang
I self-identify as this post.

:lol:
Original post by Mateoita
Can't agree more.

Now consider jobs. Yes, admittedly women are ill-treated in the field of science in the course history. But that has changed already, in an irreversible fashion. In fact, women are a third more likely to get admitted into science courses (2017 UCAS), with 30,000 entries than their male counterparts. Is this a step too far? From "BEING EQUAL"?

Women are eager to climb the social ladder and are constantly striving for better opportunities. They also complain about how they are "confined" in stereotypical low-paying "caring" jobs for instance nursing. Hey. Look out for the dude brick-layer, who help constructed your house, brick by brick. The construction workers, who arguably have the dirtiest, most physically-demanding and tiring job. Pay attention to the front-line soldiers, almost all male, fighting to their last drop of blood to uphold national pride...

Let's suppose we achieved a 50/50 split between all jobs, all equally paid between the genders. Do we now have a better world?

Exactly. These points are spot-on. I sometimes wonder why I had to wait until people like Jordan Peterson dispelled these myths with actual facts.

Hey, at least with more scientists in the world, there should be more rational and critical conversations in the world, am I right?
Original post by ByEeek
So are you saying that if someone leads a "cursed" life, they just have to choose to lead a good life?
Or if someone is poor, they just have to choose to be rich?

Huh? These questions are indicative of very one-dimensional thinking, or I must be missing something. People are born unequally. At any given moment, to move to a place with higher value, you must evaluate your situation and next step with the cards that you are dealt with at that time. Each decision you make only affects your next decision.

Nobody has it easy. Does that mean you should just give up? The answer is a warm, resounding "no".

People often think "it is the journey that matters" or "it is the end result that matters most". In truth, both matter. Life is a series of journeys and end results - a multicomplex of different games. You lose some, you win some. Such old wisdom pushes forward the proposition that making the world that little bit less dark ... is wherein lies the depth of meaning... it is wholly worth it.
Original post by ChickenMadness
American SJW culture is pretty toxic and making everyone progress backwards in terms of maturity and personal growth.

Closing your eyes to anything you don't like will make you stagnate as a person.

Exactly. You're basically fully correct; I would emphasise that "SJW culture" in general, whatever that is, is tainted with ubiquitous intolerance, not limited to just one location. You are correct that it does seem more in the western places. But that's probably very much the case only because we seldom see what happens on the other sides.
Original post by moggis
The short answer to the OPs question is because life is essentially meaningless and what people think really doesn’t matter.

If life really was meaningless, it wouldn't exist, as that would be paradoxical. By its very existence, it has to have meaning. Too many people try to answer the following question.

"What is the meaning of life?"

Life has so many different meanings and angles that the answer to this question simply does not have a container, a one-size fits all box. But that's the amazing thing - you can find something you're really good at and add intrinsic value to the world. Also, you don't need to be perfect. You don't need to be Elon Musk (I say this as someone who is very much inspired by the man.) It's okay if you make mistakes. Even as primates, our serotonin-based system means that even we can find value in things despite constructed veils of desolate outlooks drenched in fear. It's a FACT that we can feel good when we do certain meaningful activities. It's also a FACT that we can reduce suffering through exploring such stems of meaningful activities.

You, moggis, didn't answer my 3 questions. I asked about stupidity, immorality, and symbiotic connection with AI to the brain.
Just going by your title, people are selfish, judgemental, and dgaf about others.
People are more desperate to get their point across rather than to hear what the other person is saying. We have articulate speakers and activists but very poor listeners.
We have to jump out of our comfort zones and listen to the viewpoints of people we don't agree with at all.

I wish I could debate offline and find people who are willing to engage in political discussions. Everyone I talk to seems to be older than me or so apathetic about everything. I guess the reason why we can't have mature conversations with people is because more people have access to information than others. Online you have more time to research what the other person is talking about and you can formulate an intelligent response. Offline no one wants to look stupid and baffled or they'd rather cover up their ears.

It goes both ways. If I started a thread on being a feminist I'd get so much hate for it. I don't agree with Jordan Peterson but I don't mind watching interviews with him because I am open to learning more. I keep up with tweets from Trump and UKIP. The amount of transphobia on this site and mumsnet disturbs me but I still read some users' posts and I would hope that they do the same. Have you followed SJWs on social media? You mentioned that it's two sided so maybe it is important to see the views of SJWs.

For example when I was on dofe my friend and I were racially abused. My friend now tweets about 'white privilege' which isn't a term that I agree with nor use but I don't think right wingers care that she's coming from a place of pain after facing injustice.

Anyway life is meaningless. We could all get wiped out someday and nothing would matter. Life would still go on.
Reply 17
The world is not all bad, but there're certainly too many idiosyncratics out there, these days at least. Even so...

I would like to give credit to all the good people who do good things out there. For example, you, are an angel. I know it.
Angel Cat.jpg
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by PureHeroine
People are more desperate to get their point across rather than to hear what the other person is saying. We have articulate speakers and activists but very poor listeners.
We have to jump out of our comfort zones and listen to the viewpoints of people we don't agree with at all.

I wish I could debate offline and find people who are willing to engage in political discussions. Everyone I talk to seems to be older than me or so apathetic about everything. I guess the reason why we can't have mature conversations with people is because more people have access to information than others. Online you have more time to research what the other person is talking about and you can formulate an intelligent response. Offline no one wants to look stupid and baffled or they'd rather cover up their ears.

It goes both ways. If I started a thread on being a feminist I'd get so much hate for it. I don't agree with Jordan Peterson but I don't mind watching interviews with him because I am open to learning more. I keep up with tweets from Trump and UKIP. The amount of transphobia on this site and mumsnet disturbs me but I still read some users' posts and I would hope that they do the same. Have you followed SJWs on social media? You mentioned that it's two sided so maybe it is important to see the views of SJWs.

For example when I was on dofe my friend and I were racially abused. My friend now tweets about 'white privilege' which isn't a term that I agree with nor use but I don't think right wingers care that she's coming from a place of pain after facing injustice.

Anyway life is meaningless. We could all get wiped out someday and nothing would matter. Life would still go on.

I wouldn't say life is meaningless at all, as explained in my previous post.

You actually seem very balanced and I very much appreciate that.
You bring up a very intriguing point about how we have poor listeners and how if you raised points about feminism you'd be primed to get hate for it.

I actually think we can have mature conversations regardless of the amount of information on the internet. In fact, the internet can help facilitate that wonderful exchange we seek, as proven by various debates online.

I actually am not following all sides. That doesn't mean I automatically disregard others' sides, unlike many people. I agree it is very important to listen to all sides with full attention. I am sorry your friend was racially abused, and I understand how resolutions are burdened with memories of pain. I suffered immeasurable mental pain and anguish, so... yeah.

But let's have hope!

Because life is difficult, isn't it worth seeking value in making it less sufferable? In fact, have hope for civil conversation because many people are actually wanting debates offline, face-to-face and/or online with voice-to-voice interaction. I'm gonna make it happen myself, sooner or later.
But let's have hope!

I know and I disagree. Then again I have a somewhat nihilistic view of life like most angsty teenagers and you believe optimistically that life has so many meanings. I was thinking in the long scale if humanity is wiped out then what happens to centuries of scientific research? Nothing. The organisms that continue to thrive after we all vanish won't care. No one will treasure historical events of the past. There are more galaxies out there that we still haven't explored. Maybe God will actually show up... lol.

Eh, I don't know. Some of the best debaters on this forum have had experience and dedicated effort into learning so much (I'm thinking of a couple of people in particular... including you) and users like me just sound like idiots when trying to engage in conversation, so why bother? = this is the same attitude that my friends who want to learn more about politics but find it too difficult to understand have

Still I see your point. I wouldn't have known about the LGBT+ community or feminism or anything really without the Internet. My favourite debate on an old forum site that closed down was "do people with depression choose to be depressed?" It really changed some of my fixed views.

Fair enough. I consider myself to be a centrist. I think the balance is necessary. In terms of British politics I like the right's pragmatic views and the need to place an individual's concerns over society as well as social justice, environmentalism and gay rights that the left seem to strongly advocate for. I despise religion but I know God has brought hope to the poorest people. I think cultural appropriation is bs yet I understand the need for movements such as BLM.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that too. I personally have no hope for humanity. But I like this conversation. I wish this brought change.

I suppose so. For now as a sixth form student with limited contacts, strict parents and A levels to focus on, I am stuck with voicing my views on tsr and twitter. I sincerely hope that you have more luck and opportunity than me. At the same time we can't forget we are just people with views and lives too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending